Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default The 2015 Shelby Super Snake Is an Outrageous Numbers Game That Doesn't Add Up

These photos just fitted across my screen so I hope they're not too big.

If so, go to the link below.

Quote:
The 2015 Shelby Super Snake Is an Outrageous Numbers Game That Doesn't Add Up

Road & Track

Colin Comer
1 October 2015

THE ORIGINAL SHELBY AMERICAN crew has long been characterized as a bunch of hot-rodders. Yes, most of them started out in 1960s Southern California, but Carroll Shelby didn't pick great hot-rodders-he found guys who had incredible talent, then gave them free rein to use it. Their passion, and a lot of trial and error combined with genius, produced world-beating cars that were more than the sum of their parts.

Take, for example, the 1965 Shelby GT350. Concerned that his new Mustang would quickly fade from the spotlight and be seen as a boring "secretary's car," Ford boss Lee Iacocca hired-no, commanded-Shelby to build a performance Mustang eligible for competition. The result, the 1965 GT350R, went on to win an SCCA national championship and help save the Mustang brand.

The 2015 Shelby Super Snake Is an Outrageous Numbers Game That Doesn’t Add Up © Richard Pardon

As time passed, the focus shifted. The rough edges of Shelby Mustangs were softened, resulting in cars with far more comfort and far less athletic ability. Ford moved production to Michigan in 1967, but even then, no Shelby vehicle sold in large numbers. As much as people like hard-core performance cars, few ever sign up for the reality.

The Super Snake moniker dates to 1967. It was first applied to a GT500 prototype fitted with a 427 V-8 in GT40 Mk II trim. Shelby planned to sell 50 such cars, but the idea was scrapped when it was discovered that they would need to be priced at $7500-427 Cobra money-to turn a profit. (The prototype made history as part of a 500-mile Goodyear tire test, clocking a 170-mph top speed and a record 142-mph average.)

© Richard Pardon

The name was next used in 1968, on a twin-supercharged 427 Cobra touted in a classified ad penned by Shelby's right-hand man, Al Dowd, as "Carroll Shelby's Personal Super Snake." It was one of two such cars built-the other was sold to Bill Cosby, who rejected it. That car killed its second owner, careering off a cliff when the throttle stuck open.

By the end of 1970, Shelby Mustangs of any strength were no more. The Super Snake designation lay dormant. In 2003, Shelby and Ford mended a long-broken fence and rejoined forces. In 2006, they developed the first new Shelby Mustang in more than three decades, when Shelby, now located in Las Vegas, tuned 500 GT-H Mustangs for rental-car giant Hertz. They brought a similar car to the masses in 2007 -- the Shelby GT -- and, for owners of Ford's then-new GT500, a "Super Snake" conversion package offering either 600 or 725 hp. This was a post-title conversion, meaning you bought the car and then gave it to Shelby for modification.

© Richard Pardon

The Super Snake has been available in one form or another since. Which brings us to the car seen here -- the 2015 Shelby Super Snake -- and today's Shelby American. In keeping with tradition, there's nothing subtle about the 2015 model. The car has the word "Shelby" on its exterior no fewer than 25 times. (The 1968 GT500 featured the word twice, and the original 1965 GT350 didn't use it at all.) If you count engine and interior badges on the 2015, you'll see the name 42 times. Branding has come a long way.

The "entry-level" Super Snake package costs $49,995, on top of the 2015 Mustang GT that you supply. A host of Ford Performance components lie under the hood and under the car, including a Roush-sourced 2.3-liter supercharger, which boosts the GT's 5.0-liter V-8 from 435 hp to 627 hp. There's also an exhaust, a handling kit, 3.73:1 rear-axle gears, half-shafts, and a short-throw shifter. Shelby fits cooling upgrades, 20-inch Weld Racing wheels, and six-piston Wilwood front brakes. Not bad, but why stop there? Our test vehicle had the $54,999 "750+ HP" package, and that extra five grand goes a long way. It replaces the Roush supercharger with a larger huffer (our car had a massive, 2.9-liter Whipple) and adds more cooling upgrades, brake cooling, and a one-piece driveshaft. No internal engine modifications are made. You also get a carbon-fiber hood, front splitter, rear spoiler, rear diffuser, and rocker panels; a billet grille; a dash plaque; and a three-gauge carbon instrument cluster on top of the dash.

© Richard Pardon

Amazingly, there is an option list beyond all that. Our test car appeared to have most of them: painted carbon bits, four-piston rear Wilwoods, and leather seats.

Full disclosure: I love Shelbys. I've owned, driven, and raced them for years. I wanted to love this Shelby and its numbers. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

The Super Snake is definitely a fast car. The numbers it laid down at our test track are strong by any measure. Problem is, they should have been better. A stock Camaro ZL1 is quicker. In the Snake's defense, its gearing is short. We shifted to fifth to clear the quarter-mile, which hurt elapsed time. But there's more to it.

This is where things get murky, as they often do with tuner cars that lack SAE-certified horsepower and torque ratings. Despite the "750+ HP" billing, Shelby told us that our particular test car produces 850 hp at the crank. But the car's 12.3-second, 116-mph quarter-mile run speaks to a horsepower number far less than 750, let alone 850. Confused? So were we. Consider the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, with its SAE-certified 707 hp and a curb weight 627 pounds above the Shelby's. The last Hellcat we tested did a 12.0-second quarter-mile at 124.8 mph-enough to make any old drag racer doubt the Super Snake has anywhere close to the Dodge's beans. With a superior power-to-weight ratio, the Super Snake should be traveling faster than the Hellcat in the quarter. The culprit here may be excessive heat soak, a tune on the safe side, or electronics otherwise struggling with the newfound horsepower.

© Richard Pardon

As for braking performance, the Super Snake can definitely stop. It has an abundance of caliper and friction area, and even fancy floating rotors. What the numbers won't tell you is how difficult the brakes are to modulate. They're nearly an on-off switch. When you're on them, it's obvious the Mustang's factory anti-lock calibration can't compensate for the Snake's change in brake torque, its front to rear balance, or its larger, staggered wheels and tires.

With a mass-produced car, these things are all carefully tuned. R&T's road test editor, Robin Warner, was on hand for this test; in a previous life, he helped calibrate ABS, traction-, and stability-control programming for Ford, including the last Mustang Boss 302. His thoughts paralleled mine: The Super Snake's software is struggling with its hardware.

On the skidpad, the Shelby returned numbers you'd expect from a 2015 Mustang with big tires, stiff springs, and big anti-roll bars. The only issue we encountered was a disturbing one-the car was virtually impossible to keep from spinning once it stepped out. In the end, however, we saw an impressive 0.98 g of lateral grip.

© Richard Pardon

AFTER THE TEST TRACK, WE DROVE TWO HOURS NORTHWEST, to Michigan's Grattan Raceway road course. This lumpy, demanding 2.0-mile track gave us a controlled environment that mimicked real roads.

Going into this test, I expected the car to be unruly, unable to put all that power to the road. That wasn't the case. The Shelby never felt loose. But the real problem wasn't the numbers. It was how the package felt. The brakes are a battle-you find yourself constantly trying to breathe on the pedal so as not to remove the windshield with your head. The cross-drilled and slotted floating rotors are quite loud and noticeably rough in operation. Our test car surged under light throttle and offered pronounced bucking in sixth gear when accelerating from around 3000 rpm. And while it may have been engine tuning-or perhaps something to do with the car's half-shafts or driveshaft-our Snake seemed to have considerable driveline slop, along with a fair amount of vibration under load.

You have to assume that these things can and will eventually be tuned out by Shelby. Our test car was the first Super Snake built based on the new Mustang. But for now, the car feels like a work in progress.

© Richard Pardon

The morning of our track day brought heavy rain. I began questioning my marching orders to take a supercharged monster to a drenched, 10-turn roller coaster that's a favorite of small-bore sports-car and motorcycle racers. But amazingly, the Super Snake was predictable in the wet. And reasonably capable at a good clip.

The track dried by late morning. Before heading out, Warner and I discussed Grattan lap times. He recalled a Ford factory driver turning a 1:28.6 in a 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca (444 hp and 3690 pounds). My handicap-beyond not wanting to crash Shelby's Super Snake during its first media appearance-was that I had never before raced at Grattan.

Once the car was wired up with timing gear, I strapped in. The Shelby pulled hard. As on the road, the abrupt brakes were an issue. Into Turn 1, Grattan's heaviest braking point, the Mustang's rear would lift, and its ABS would occasionally interfere with odd activity. But the most unsettling section was just over the track's infamous jump, before the slower, right-hand Turn 5. Even when I waited for the wheels to touch the ground before hitting the brakes, the car would engage full ABS, requiring speed scrub the old-fashioned way-by pitching the Mustang sideways.

© Richard Pardon

Through Grattan's Monza-style bowl, the Super Snake's rear suspension would bottom out and clunk, but it never got worse, so I drove through it. The chassis is heavily biased toward understeer, making a tight circuit like Grattan that much more challenging. A moderate stab of the throttle would usually rotate the rear enough to help, while a harder stab would rotate the rear a lot further. (And sometimes too far to get back.)

All of this made the Shelby a challenge to hustle. It doesn't perform like a car built for road racing, because it isn't. And while the car never got hot or threatened unreliability, it just didn't feel polished or composed. It felt like it needed less front anti-roll bar or less rear tire, and certainly a more balanced brake package. On a faster track, this would be far less noticeable-and the car's horsepower would be far more noticeable, shrinking lap times.

In the end, I was able to put down a 1:30.86 lap on the optional Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. That's not slow, though it is slower than that factory Boss. The Shelby probably had another second or two in it, but given its chassis, anything faster felt like unnecessary risk.

Yes, the Super Snake needs to go to finishing school. Yes, it consists mostly of parts that anyone can buy and bolt onto their Mustang. Yes, it probably makes 750 hp in the right conditions, and maybe even 850 hp, with the right tune. (Schedule conflicts kept us from dynoing the car during its time with us.) And it isn't the best choice for a track-day car.

© Richard Pardon

It's worth considering, however, that the Super Snake name has never been about balance. Carroll's two "Super Snake" Cobras were claimed to have 800 hp, but they also had a reputation for throwing blower belts and never running right. To say nothing of killing half their owners.

Those cars were too much-and for the man himself, that was just right. This Super Snake is too much of everything, but it isn't being marketed as the choice for socially awkward rich guys. This is the biggest, baddest Mustang that Shelby makes, aimed at drivers who want people to notice them. Is it a true Shelby? Absolutely.

Do people still care about this old brand? Judging by the mile-long wall at Shelby American's Las Vegas headquarters, where markers are provided for visitors to sign and there isn't an empty spot anywhere, or by the seemingly endless owner's clubs and forums, they do. It's also worth remembering that the Shelby American products everyone remembers-the Sixties cars-are now out of reach for ordinary people. This is also a modern car, with A/C and comfortable seats. It was modified by hand, by the company that Carroll used to run, produced in small numbers, and it gains owners entry into an exclusive club . . . that's an immeasurable bonus.

I wanted to love this car. I wanted the numbers to be great, not just really good. I'm still in love with the brand and the fact that Super Snakes exist. Because God knows Carroll Shelby wasn't perfect, and neither were his cars. But 50 years later, we can still appreciate the fact that he created something unique. And that's what the big, bad, and untamed 2015 Super Snake is, faults and all.

© R&T Staff

TRACK NOTES

A. Slowest corner on the track reduces us to just 39 mph.
B. We peaked at over 1.3 g's around the banked hairpin.
C. Top speed was 143.3 mph on the straight.

TEST REPORT

© R&T Staff

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/resea...mage=AAeXwCc|1
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: The 2015 Shelby Super Snake Is an Outrageous Numbers Game That Doesn't Add Up

My two favourite paragraphs:

Quote:
It's worth considering, however, that the Super Snake name has never been about balance. Carroll's two "Super Snake" Cobras were claimed to have 800 hp, but they also had a reputation for throwing blower belts and never running right. To say nothing of killing half their owners.

Those cars were too much-and for the man himself, that was just right. This Super Snake is too much of everything, but it isn't being marketed as the choice for socially awkward rich guys. This is the biggest, baddest Mustang that Shelby makes, aimed at drivers who want people to notice them. Is it a true Shelby? Absolutely.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The 2015 Shelby Super Snake Is an Outrageous Numbers Game That Doesn't Add Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
My two favourite paragraphs:
I think that article is referring to the Cosby Cobra, that was destroyed along with its then owner in quite spectacular fashion too I might add.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Im not a mustang fan but that thing looks awsome!! Pity it wont come here...
Old 01-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks awesome , i think i would be happy with a non Shelby model though,
refinement and power = good daily
power and grumpy track car feel ...... good for weekender.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
XG_Falcon

They should call this car the Euthaniser. Most things that are worth doing will get you killed sooner or later, so might as well have some fun and go out in style.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
I think that article is referring to the Cosby Cobra, that was destroyed along with its then owner in quite spectacular fashion too I might add.

Cheers Mick
I didn't know what you meant so I had to Google your reference.

I see Shelby gave one of two 427 Super Snake Cobras to Bill Cosby who after one drive gave it back because it was too powerful and he recorded an album entitled ‘200mph’ about the drive.

It was eventually sold to Tony Maxey who destroyed it and himself by driving off a cliff into the Pacific Ocean.

I also saw that the other surviving Cobra was sold this year at auction for over $5,000,000.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just added to my lotto wishlist
Old 01-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I didn't know what you meant so I had to Google your reference.

I see Shelby gave one of two 427 Super Snake Cobras to Bill Cosby who after one drive gave it back because it was too powerful and he recorded an album entitled ‘200mph’ about the drive.

It was eventually sold to Tony Maxey who destroyed it and himself by driving off a cliff into the Pacific Ocean.

I also saw that the other surviving Cobra was sold this year at auction for over $5,000,000.
Yeah it was a special build for Bill...............the other one was built first and is usually referred to as Carols car, not sure of its later ownership history though.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #10
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Just added to my lotto wishlist
Was thinking the exact same thing, but I'd also have to buy a place in the USA....
Old 01-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #11
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah it was a special build for Bill...............the other one was built first and is usually referred to as Carols car, not sure of its later ownership history though.
Cheers Mick
It was owned by a Shelby Forum member for a long time and when he decided to eventually sell it he offered it to Forum members first then put it to auction.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I have heard one of these on dyno at Shlelby in Vegas ..
They sound awesome , keep revving ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 01:20 AM   #13
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

Cheers Mick
When I did a quick search there was a fair bit of info about it.

This link is when it was sold in 2007 for $5,500,000

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archi...ER-SNAKE-44723

This link is when it was sold in January, 2015 for $5,115,000

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archi...R-SNAKE-178567
Old 02-10-2015, 01:21 AM   #14
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They will be sold here through Mustang Motorsport.
http://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au/home.php
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #15
Carrion

I just want one

PS And if I ever got one I would never put a sticker on the back window saying "I just want one"

Last edited by Carrion; 02-10-2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: PS
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post