Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Windscreen GPS navigation

Hi all, is there a law about fixing a GPS navigation unit to your windscreen?

I have seen an "increasing" number of IDIOTS with them under the rear view mirror, and the size is increasing, on the way back from Canberra last friday night I swear I saw a 9 inch screen in Day Time mode (bright).

I have enough trouble seeing under the rear view mirror in the Focus, how these CLOWNS can see me approaching from the left beats me
4 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Windseen GPS navigation

I think QLD has a law that says you cant have anything blocking the sweep area of the wipers. Sadly, we dont have any such laws in NSW or other states from my investigation.

I think its a joke personally that you can mount something to the middle of your windscreen and to think it doesnt create a blind spot!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have mine mounted under the rear vision mirror on one car and near the door pillar on the other, i have zero problems seeing traffic, and my eyes are closer to the road than having to look down at a screen centre stack for various stuff, by the same token both my limos are big and have big windscreens and my large boof head is not cemented in position, so should the need arise i can look around it should i need to, i do think of more distraction is the trinkets and worry beads and jingly danglys swinging around hanging off rear vision mirrors.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

It's an interesting point that you raise....

At work we have a ford transit van that has quite a big windscreen and the guys always put the GPS (albeit a small one) under the rear view mirror (with the power cable hanging down)...It's so annoying..

I always move it to the lowest point I can above the instrument cluster right in front of me and I find it's much better, as you only have to glance down ever so slightly if required and the cable tucks away neatly down to the ciggy plug.
Old 30-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cable hanging down from the roof would annoy me too,
i use my smart phone in an after market cradle, it is pretty good as a gps, music player,blue tooth, with drive software , add to that both my old cars that have knobs and buttons on the dash that a blind man can just feel around without taking eyes off the road most of the time, no rooting around with down low touch screens ; ) ..
Old 30-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing common about common sense

I am not saying that it can't work in some vehicles and for some people.

BUT, some people have no idea

Mik, you are right with the dangling bits and bobs only contributing to being distracting.

In the last fortnight ive nearly been cleaned up four times by people failing to give way to me approaching from their left, often whilst they wait at a giveway/stop sign !
I drive a chill orange Ranger and it STANDS OUT, fortunately ive either pulled up or they have realized when half way out

(Sorry, if mods could change the heading to WINDSCREEN please)
Old 30-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
XG_Falcon

It's because a majority of aftermarket GPS systems come with a suction cup bracket. It's not an ideal mounting device by any means but people cbf thinking of a better solution so they just stick it to their windscreen.

I made a fascia for my Navman so I could fit it above the head unit in my EB. I hated having the GPS on the windscreen and it looks much nicer in the dash. I get a lot less glare from it at night too.

However, most people won't go to these lengths and/or want to quickly move the GPS between multiple cars.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowdit View Post
Nothing common about common sense

I am not saying that it can't work in some vehicles and for some people.

BUT, some people have no idea

Mik, you are right with the dangling bits and bobs only contributing to being distracting.

In the last fortnight ive nearly been cleaned up four times by people failing to give way to me approaching from their left, often whilst they wait at a giveway/stop sign !
I drive a chill orange Ranger and it STANDS OUT, fortunately ive either pulled up or they have realized when half way out

(Sorry, if mods could change the heading to WINDSCREEN please)
This is true mate, even without extra distractions you get drivers that have difficulty mastering just driving, i was sitting at traffic lights with an mt lane between me and another lane full of cars , and there was enough room to get a kenworth between the two lanes ....... and a bloke in 4wd still managed to hit me at 15 ks an hour .
Old 30-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

From the RMS website.............
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...rules-2012.pdf

Visual display units in motor vehicles
A visual display unit (including a mobile phone), which is being used as a driver’s aid function, such as a GPS, may only be used in a motor vehicle if it is secured in a fixed mounting.
This mounting must be commercially designed and manufactured for this purpose. It must be positioned in the vehicle to not distract or obscure the driver’s view.
Penalty: 3 demerit points (4 in a school zone) and $298 ($397 in a school zone)
Old 30-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #10
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Had mine tucked in the corner next to the A piller in the subie. Then the mount broke. Since then I've fixed it to below the radio unit ontop of the cig lighter block. Great at night, can't see the screen if the sun shines on it, however it gives spoken directions so that's all good

One day if I ever have money to burn I'd like a new double din stereo with a gps built in.

People with gps below the mirror isn't too bad. I see people with iPads on the windscreen!!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 12:45 AM   #11
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I mount them low so I can see over them.. In most cases I use my iPhone (maps) leave it on console or other seat.. It tells me directions ..
I'm used to getting directions from that seat!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #12
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
From the RMS website.............
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...rules-2012.pdf

Visual display units in motor vehicles
A visual display unit (including a mobile phone), which is being used as a driver’s aid function, such as a GPS, may only be used in a motor vehicle if it is secured in a fixed mounting.
This mounting must be commercially designed and manufactured for this purpose. It must be positioned in the vehicle to not distract or obscure the driver’s view.
Penalty: 3 demerit points (4 in a school zone) and $298 ($397 in a school zone)
Well that opens a whole kettle of fish. Surely they need to be more specific?!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #13
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Windscreen GPS navigation

Can't put a "letterbox" or supercharger/ intake up thru the bonnet and obscure view

But its ok to hang a 9" display screen and obscure twice as much

And quite the revenue raiser
2 users like this post: