Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Default Focus buying advice

Hi all

I've jumped over here from my regular thread: "FPV Boss and S/C powered Falcons". I'm a lucky owner of a GT 335.

I have an old "daily banger" as described in my sig - 1982 BMW 528i - but I think it's finally had its days. Leaking oil and cuts out on the odd occasion. Time for a replacement, and thinking of going a new car rather that risking buying 2nd hand. My budget is ~$20K.

At the top of my list is a new 2012 Ford Focus Ambiente. I'm planning a test drive this week, but just wanted to get your opinions on the 5sp manual vs. 6sp Powershift auto, and sedan vs. hatch.

I'm leaning towards the auto sedan.

However, I like the idea of the fold down seats in the hatch extending the luggage capacity, and the hatch also has more head room in the back.

Regarding the gearbox, I've read about some negative experiences with the Powershift auto, particularly when mated to the 1.6L. This together with the auto being 2K more expensive has got me thinking about getting a manual.

I'm anticipating that people will strongly suggest the 2.0L over the 1.6L, but I think the 1.6 will be more than sufficient for my needs. It will be used primarily for trips to and from the train station during the working week, shopping etc. Long trips and Hwy driving will be reserved for the GT

Any news about a 2013 model and it is worth waiting for?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Focus buying advice

Look into servicing costs for auto, double the manual st 60k intervals. Not everyone likes how the auto behaves as well.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Thanks Yellow_Festiva

Since last night I've done a 180 and now I'm leaning towards the manual hatch!

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
Old 27-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Manual any day over the autos, a lot of people here have been complaining about then,
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I find the manual box and clutch in the Focus very light and smooth, I wouldn't touch an auto (or a Powershift manual) myself but that's a personal preference, IMO if it hasn't got a man pedal it's not a manual and that's that
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

I've booked a test drive of a manual hatch. It's got 1500km on the clock so I'm assuming it's not a MKII, and they've put alloys on it I assume to make it more attractive to potential buyers. Is there any reason to go for the MKII over the original? I'm going to bargain with them heavily on the price so if I like it and they come to the party I'll probably go for it.

Old 28-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

If it has 1500km on it it's probably a demo model. I didn't know they had a MKII model of the LW, if so, then that would be my choice,mainly because any issues that may have been in the first model will most likely have been sorted I'm guessing this an Ambiente your looking at ?? If so I'd be pushing to get them down to at least $19 - $19.5 K with those K's
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
If it has 1500km on it it's probably a demo model. I didn't know they had a MKII model of the LW, if so, then that would be my choice,mainly because any issues that may have been in the first model will most likely have been sorted I'm guessing this an Ambiente your looking at ?? If so I'd be pushing to get them down to at least $19 - $19.5 K with those K's
Thanks Russ

As far as I know the MKII has just been released (http://www.caradvice.com.au/180120/f...ions-revealed/). Looks to be just some minor tech upgrades for the Ambiente. The article says that the MKIIs are built in Thailand, where as the previous model is German built, so perhaps I'm better off going for the previous model?

The silver MKII Ambiente I enquired on through the dealer website was $18,990 drive away with only 104km on the clock, but apparently they no longer have it. They have another ink blue MKII in stock with 42km for the same drive away price, but I don't want that dark a colour. So I'm certainly not going to offer them $19K for the one with 1500km

I was told the 1500km one with alloys was $20,990.... a $2K premium for alloy wheels ....I said that was a large premium for alloy wheels to the salesman on the phone, and he said it's not only the wheels but the tyres that account for the extra cost. If it's the factory alloys, then that's a load of BS because as far as I know they are the same size tyre/wheel (16 x 6). I guess they have to try...

Last edited by dawsman; 28-08-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 28-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Auto is good except for the slow response sometimes when taking off or coming of the idle..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I test drove the demo Focus Ambiente manual (not MKII as I suspected) with 1500km on the clock. Overall it was alright, but I was pretty underwhelmed with the performance of the 1.6L. Also, the presentation of the car was shocking. It was filthy outside and in, including used tissues on the front passenger floor. Disgusting. I certainly wasn't buying that one, and was turned off the dealership all together after that experience.

I wanted to test drive a Trend with the 2.0L but the ones on the lot were all sold. So it was seeya later Ford!

Went to the Hyundai dealership down the road and test drove the new i30 Active 1.8L manual. What a beautiful car for the money with incredible standard features (touch screen, reverse sensors etc.), although more expensive than the Focus. I haggled with the dealer and was firm on my budget, and ended up getting a new white i30 Active manual for $20,000 drive away! Pick it up next week.

Sorry Ford. Still love my FPV though!