Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 11-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Cica
Starter Motor

Default Ford Laser KN key

Hi Everyone,

My 2001 Ford Laser key got stolen so I bought a new blank key from Ford dealership and got it cut. It was cut properly. I then took the car to the Ford dealer to get my new key coded and that is when all of my problems started. First they called me asking where I bought blank key as the current key, they said, had no transponders in it. I said I bought it in their parts dept and they said they will contact me back. After that they called that they had cut completely new key and that it was not up to the key but up to my computer and that they will perform further checks. Then they told me that the computer is OK and that they will check BCM etc. Now they want to pull the BCM out and do further checks and want to charge me additional hours. I told them to stop for the moment as I do not want to go to that extreme. This is probably one of the few things that I cannot do on car myself and is the first time in many years that I have taken a car to the dealership and I am greatly disappointed in their conflicting stories and empty promises and deadlines. Car has been in for over a week now.

My old key worked no problems at all so I am assuming that it is very unlikely that anything is wrong with either module/computer. Plus I question the competancy of their technician that did not know to check if the key has a transponder in it. Noone else can code it so I am in a tricky situation and heavily dependant on Ford dealership and they know it. Any suggestions what to do next?

Cica is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

I thought the cars came with 3 keys

you bought the replacement key from ford and they claim it is without transponders then ford must refund the cost of the key give you another so you can go have it cut again

If the key doesnt work then ford have you where they want you and can charge you what they like

you only have their word for it

only other option is to find an auto electrician for an independent check
that charges less per hour or fit an after market locking system

make sure the car starts with the key ford leave you with

if you are sure of your facts
looks like a small claims case if they intend to charge you for un nesecary work
Old 14-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Cica
Starter Motor

Thanks for your reply 'dirty hands'.

Pls read on as you will find this interesting.

I went to Ford service on Wednesday afternoon and spoke to their workshop foreman and he told me that they tried everything and that only thing left is to start replacing modules. He said that the car does not want to go into 'Lumina' mode once he tried to programm the key. I asked can he tell me which module I need to replace and he told me he cannot tell but it is either security or ECU module. Security = $400, ECU = $1000 + labour + etc etc. He told me that another option is to take modules to electronic technician and he can check which one is bad. I thought it is an overkill considering that i only lost the key and I was seriously thinking to sell the car that has passed less than 80k in parts. So, I took the gamble and got the car towed to another Ford dealer yesterday for todays service. Old service did not even bother putting all plastic covers back on and the car looked as someone placed a bomb in it so I thought they will be suspicious. Today i got the call from their service that they have coded the key and that I can pick the car now. I did just that and it cost me $80. I asked them if they had any problems and he said no everything was fine. They even returned all plastic covers etc. So they saved me a lot of frustration and $$$.

So the bottom line is that I do not want any other people to go through this and I am wondering what can be done so that this is noted somewhere. They could have done only two things: 1. Did not know how to do the job properly or 2. Wanted to rip me off. Result for me or any other costumer would be big $$$ spent unnecessary. Luckily it cost me only $88 to get my car towed to another service. Old service did not charge me anything.
Cica is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
marellano
mick

Hi,

I've got a key cut for my Laser KN a couple of months ago at a Ford deleaship, cost me $180. Like you I tried everywhere but they just couldnt do it because these types of keys are ENCRYPTED.

The dealership explained that the process is they get the car's VIN number, email it to a Ford office somewhere and an email comes back with the encryption code. Use this code to program the trnasponder and its done. Never had a problem with the key.

Mick
marellano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post