Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why would you bother with a fast car in Vic?

With the latest crop of performance machines being so quick, if you're driving on the road (in Vic at least) you really don't have much time to savour the performance until you're in licence losing land...

Case in point my neighbour, pulled out to pass a couple of slower cars towing boats etc, just squeezed the gas in 4th in his WRX, got pinged at 146km/h.

Licence gone for 12 months. Car impounded etc etc... He's a middle aged white collar worker and it was in the countryside too. Very nice bloke but he said there was no arguing whatsoever.

Any half decent car will get over 140 pretty darn quick... It scares me.

And it's not like you can have any fun cutting loose below the speed limit either - hoon laws will have your car on a flatbed in no time...

So where do you enjoy the power 'worry free' then? At the strip? Is it really worth paying heaps for insurance, fuel, mods etc etc just for the occassional 13 or so seconds of fun?

I dunno, I reckon an auto front or 4 wheel drive diesel for getting about and keeping out of trouble makes the most sense, then a dedicated fun machine for the track or strip... If you can afford it!

Anyone have a different view?

Last edited by Grobbo; 17-03-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there`s places in vic you can go for a club day in your daily for not a lot of money, my young brother goes to Winton on occasion.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think its quite that bad, although it is bad...

There are a few roads that I know of on the edges of Melbourne - out near Healsville & Kinglake, or the Great Ocean Road, that can offer a real fun drive- if you pick your time right.

But your right, if you can afford a few cars for different uses thats the best way. A commuter car just needs to be the most fuel efficient practical machine possible, freeing the fun car of any pesky practical needs like interior space, ground clearance, fuel economy etc...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Well imagine how shocked I was to be pulled over, for being in the overtaking lane on a popular highway........on a public holiday, in the middle of 10 cars in front and 10 behind to overtake a horsefloat doing 90 for the last 20 klms............in a 2.7 ltr 4 cylinder petrol hilux.............and get done for 126kph...........by an aerial speed check!

And the part that really ****** me off is tha helicopter must clearly have seen the traffic conducting itself nicely except for the 500 metre overtaking lane ............

And the part that ****** me off even MORE..........is that was Vic Pol "intense traffic management" of the last public holiday. Marked car hiding in the bushes awaiting reports from a police helicopter you couldnt see. DAMN GOOD WAY TO MANAGE TRAFFIC YOU IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/rant off
Old 06-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
I dont think its quite that bad, although it is bad...

There are a few roads that I know of on the edges of Melbourne - out near Healsville & Kinglake, or the Great Ocean Road, that can offer a real fun drive- if you pick your time right.

But your right, if you can afford a few cars for different uses thats the best way. A commuter car just needs to be the most fuel efficient practical machine possible, freeing the fun car of any pesky practical needs like interior space, ground clearance, fuel economy etc...
Yeah there are certainly some good roads around Vic to have a bit of fun on - that's true. Plus I've often thought about doing a weekend in Tassy which is apparently awesome.

Better book it in before I either lose my licence or trade the XR8 in for an econobox!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Well imagine how shocked I was to be pulled over, for being in the overtaking lane on a popular highway........on a public holiday, in the middle of 10 cars in front and 10 behind to overtake a horsefloat doing 90 for the last 20 klms............in a 2.7 ltr 4 cylinder petrol hilux.............and get done for 126kph...........by an aerial speed check!

And the part that really ****** me off is tha helicopter must clearly have seen the traffic conducting itself nicely except for the 500 metre overtaking lane ............

And the part that ****** me off even MORE..........is that was Vic Pol "intense traffic management" of the last public holiday. Marked car hiding in the bushes awaiting reports from a police helicopter you couldnt see. DAMN GOOD WAY TO MANAGE TRAFFIC YOU IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/rant off
So that's you on the bus for a month then? Stink.

Relevant too that you weren't even in a fast car.

I've driven a few modern turbo diesels too actually and I found they tend to surge above the speed limit awfully easily.

Basically in any car in vic, you have to watch the speedo like a hawk and use cruise wherever possible - despite the speed limit changing every 500m...

Dunno how much safer that makes the roads...
Old 06-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

146 is considerably over any Vic speed limit. While I don't necessarily agree with speed limits in vic if he is overtaking at that speed he is either going way too hard or overtaking cars already well above the limit.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
hardlynormal

cop it on the chin.
hardlynormal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
146 is considerably over any Vic speed limit. While I don't necessarily agree with speed limits in vic if he is overtaking at that speed he is either going way too hard or overtaking cars already well above the limit.
True...

My point is tho it only takes a moment in a quicker car and you're walking for a year - even 126 has you walking for a month...

If you pulled out to pass in the new GT at 85km/h, you will be in flatbed territory in well under 3 seconds...
Old 06-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Vic is a joke and ken lay or whoever the police minister is down there needs to be punched in the face.... repeatedly, I have never heard so much CRAP and utter untruths come from one person regarding road toll and speed camera's I don’t even live there and I detest him as much as Anna blight..*Bligh*...

3km and your done is utter revenue and no argument you could conceive will have me believe otherwise, Vic roads were some of the best between 3 states I’ve driven on, Hume for one is a great highway, shame pollies and Vic pol cant pull their head out of their own backside to even grasp the concept of commonsense.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So did i miss something here ???
The speed limit is 100 and your mates pinned for doin 140 odd
He would be in the deep in any state

Dont understand the arguement here
So i buy a 1 million $$$ Ferrarri ,does that mean i cant drive at 300Ks cause the car will do it ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes but it all comes down to control. Your first post more or less says that your friend does not have control of the acceleration of his car, this could be due to inexperience with powerful vehicles or involuntary foot spasms, but either way the problem is not the cars power.

Remember you are on a forum with many members driving cars with some serious horsepower day to day, it all comes down to responsibility and experience.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Your first post more or less says that your friend does not have control of the acceleration of his car
No, it says he doesnt have SELF control or patience.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #14
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Yes it is getting to a situation where any of the "Fun" of having a fast car is pretty much over, i usually wait for overtaking lanes these days, it just saves the issues that have been listed above i use cruise to overtake and have several people sit on my @$$ for doing it, but i won't get nabbed by a radar or chopper above..

Perfect example is the one in the OP, when in my XR8 such speeds are reached if i snease and the car is in 4th gear while overtaking anything larger than a small car.

Is it dangerous in the city on multilane freeway with 30-40 cars within 20 seconds of you.. yes.

On a hwy with bugger all people around and avoiding being on the wrong side of the road for any longer than required.. No.

While not holding my breath im hoping with the new government in Vic we may see the sensible 10% rule come back into effect, the police just enforce the rules so i don't hold it against them as really whats the point.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
No, it says he doesnt have SELF control or patience.
I'm not sure what else I had meant by control apart from self?
Old 06-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #16
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Remember you are on a forum with many members driving cars with some serious horsepower day to day, it all comes down to responsibility and experience.
Just saying what's the point in all the horsepower if you can barely ever use it...
Old 06-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Yes it is getting to a situation where any of the "Fun" of having a fast car is pretty much over, i usually wait for overtaking lanes these days, it just saves the issues that have been listed above i use cruise to overtake and have several people sit on my @$$ for doing it, but i won't get nabbed by a radar or chopper above..

Perfect example is the one in the OP, when in my XR8 such speeds are reached if i snease and the car is in 4th gear while overtaking anything larger than a small car.

Is it dangerous in the city on multilane freeway with 30-40 cars within 20 seconds of you.. yes.

On a hwy with bugger all people around and avoiding being on the wrong side of the road for any longer than required.. No.

While not holding my breath im hoping with the new government in Vic we may see the sensible 10% rule come back into effect, the police just enforce the rules so i don't hold it against them as really whats the point.
Huh yeah amazing how many people go right up your date just to go 0.5 km/h faster in Vic - I'm doing 101km/h in the fast lane overtaking someone doing 99, but old matey wants to go 101.5km/h so he's right on my back bumper... A daily occurance!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #18
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

146 in a 100 zone is not just an accident where he just slipped over the speed limit, he knew what he was doing and got caught doing it.....hope he likes public transport

Chances are he was probably going faster that 146 anyway, as every Highway cop will generally give you 10% leeway unlike speed cameras..
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #19
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
Just saying what's the point in all the horsepower if you can barely ever use it...
You should have left the bit out about your mate.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #20
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

Interesting thread.... I will do 2 posts and retire...

What's the point of this forum or any other forum then, what's the point of this thread, what's the point of a brain if we only use 10%, what's the point of the 335 GT.

(on the point of horsepower only, not on the other enjoyment we all get with other facets of this hobby)

The point is like minded people spending their hard earned dosh to show everyone how much power they have on a dyno, circuit, 1/4 mile and possibly to talk about some car they saw at the lights or on the freeway.

Sharing their ideas on every possible scenario to get MORE horsepower, faster lap times and ET's where money is no option.

When their beast appears on a cover of a mag, showcased in a forum, wins an event of sometype or for people to talk about it in some capacity, that is indeed the point.

I reckon a wheel chair, cruches, mobility vehicle, public transport, walking stick to get around if you like. I prefer a powerful monster, to go to work, drop the kids off to school and for all round fun, as a car to me represents freedom in the highest order and if I died in mine tomorrow I would be a happy man.

You wouldn't catch me dead in anything else other than a perceived illegal street machine and you can bury me in it/with it

disclaimer: I don't condone illegal acts violating our traffic laws, just making a point. always obey the traffic laws!
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #21
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
You should have left the bit out about your mate.....
Yeah maybe, it is a bit fast to be a really relevant example. Still, it is what got me thinking...

And even 126 will see you walking - that's not much.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #22
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Horsepower or not - there are times/places that you can drive your car in 'whatever' manner you like... no matter what 'flavour' of car you drive...

There are track days (circuits), street/strip meets (drags), 4wd tours (offroad), club meets (classics and collectables), national events (like Summernats, Auzrun etc), and I could list off many more...

So - overtaking and climbing to 146km/h is stupid and illegal... and if that is how 'your friend' wants to enjoy his car... he has paid the price... not only for less 'speeding time' than he WOULD have got at a drag strip... but its also cost him his license for 12 months... bravo...

Many people on this forum have high powered vehicles, enjoy them on a regular basis... and also have licenses (maybe not all... but most would)...

How many people who have purchased a Bugatti Veyron actually will use the 1000+hp it comes with?? Do you think many of them have actually got to 400km/h? I would think not... But they enjoy them where and when they can...

As mentioned - there are many ways of enjoying the experience of driving a great car... high HP or not...

Trying to justify the WRX/146kmh to have fun because there's nowhere else to do it is like trying to justify being caught drink driving because the cab fare was too expensive...

Both results are the same... high risk, illegal, and more expensive than if they had have done the right thing...

Thats my 2 cents...
Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #23
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

126 IS a bit excessive in a 100 zone.

Easy to do yes, but to try and justify it as okay is like saying having that extra drink that put you a little bit over is okay too.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #24
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4ME
Interesting thread.... I will do 2 posts and retire...

What's the point of this forum or any other forum then, what's the point of this thread, what's the point of a brain if we only use 10%, what's the point of the 335 GT.

(on the point of horsepower only, not on the other enjoyment we all get with other facets of this hobby)

The point is like minded people spending their hard earned dosh to show everyone how much power they have on a dyno, circuit, 1/4 mile and possibly to talk about some car they saw at the lights or on the freeway.

Sharing their ideas on every possible scenario to get MORE horsepower, faster lap times and ET's where money is no option.

When their beast appears on a cover of a mag, showcased in a forum, wins an event of sometype or for people to talk about it in some capacity, that is indeed the point.

I reckon a wheel chair, cruches, mobility vehicle, public transport, walking stick to get around if you like. I prefer a powerful monster, to go to work, drop the kids off to school and for all round fun, as a car to me represents freedom in the highest order and if I died in mine tomorrow I would be a happy man.

You wouldn't catch me dead in anything else other than a perceived illegal street machine and you can bury me in it/with it

disclaimer: I don't condone illegal acts violating our traffic laws, just making a point. always obey the traffic laws!
OK so what you're saying is, it's still rewarding to daily drive a mean machine - even if you risk seeing it on a flatbed with every prod of the accelerator?

That's the kind of alternative view I was hoping for really...

Also makes the case for a V8 stronger - at least they're still enjoyable at sedate speeds!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #25
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlynormal
cop it on the chin.
Bend over and take it like the rest of the serf plebs.... Yep, continue with that track and won't be long before we all have speed limited cars etc.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #26
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

you can always rely on the part time forum antagonist (moi) to accomodate you

but be warned this is my 2nd and final post in this thread otherwise it gets too serious....hehehe... and I am feeling that you are setting me up for something special with my next post so I will be careful not to get caught hook, line and sinker.

so here is my response....

the only think wrong with you starting this thread is the image of the spreadsheet of the demerit points table....

I CANT WIPE MY BUM WITH IT!
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #27
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Horsepower or not - there are times/places that you can drive your car in 'whatever' manner you like... no matter what 'flavour' of car you drive...

There are track days (circuits), street/strip meets (drags), 4wd tours (offroad), club meets (classics and collectables), national events (like Summernats, Auzrun etc), and I could list off many more...

So - overtaking and climbing to 146km/h is stupid and illegal... and if that is how 'your friend' wants to enjoy his car... he has paid the price... not only for less 'speeding time' than he WOULD have got at a drag strip... but its also cost him his license for 12 months... bravo...

Many people on this forum have high powered vehicles, enjoy them on a regular basis... and also have licenses (maybe not all... but most would)...

How many people who have purchased a Bugatti Veyron actually will use the 1000+hp it comes with?? Do you think many of them have actually got to 400km/h? I would think not... But they enjoy them where and when they can...

As mentioned - there are many ways of enjoying the experience of driving a great car... high HP or not...

Trying to justify the WRX/146kmh to have fun because there's nowhere else to do it is like trying to justify being caught drink driving because the cab fare was too expensive...

Both results are the same... high risk, illegal, and more expensive than if they had have done the right thing...

Thats my 2 cents...
Good point about 'speeding time' at the strip. That was one thing I noticed at the drags: "Man, I'd NEVER be able to keep it nailed this long on the road!"

I am super uber careful on the road - 2 years point free in a manual V8 (touch wood) but it's time for an upgrade, and when I'm weighing up the costs and benefits of a fast car, I start to wonder how people justify quick cars on the street when they only take you to losing licence zones in a matter of seconds...

Appreciate the opinions!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #28
FgNewbie
Australia

The revenue raisers achieved 2 things with me.
1, I'm deadly because I watch my speedo not the road.
2, I stopped driving long distances.

These days I'm not interested in doing the quarter or racing on a circuit. I used to love cruising interstate at relatively safe speeds on real roads. Go back far enough there were actually sections of hwy where it was legal to "speed". Can't do that any more so I no longer buy V8s. I now buy boring cars that get me from point A to point B that don't tempt me to do anything illegal in the burbs.

If I visit friends at the end of a motorway, I put on cruise control and pray I don't fall asleep.

Pure grunt isn't always needed for a good drive. Back in the day, sometime last century, I had more fun pushing a Datsun 180b on a road trip Syd-Melb-Syd-Surfers-Syd than I've ever had on a track. In hindsight, I should of been locked up.

You and your car might indeed be safe or an above average driver that is capable of driving above the legal limit, but Australia has too many unpredictable incompetent drivers which we should not be speeding around for our own safety.

I don't agree with all our laws but if people can't adapt or don't want to adapt, I would suggest they get on a track or out of the driver's seat.

/rant
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #29
tweeked
N/A all the way

Until the limits, penalties and enforcement make sense then the toll will little be affected by them. 146 deserves a fine. Doubt he was being more dangerous than the person I saw on the weekend merging without looking, nearly cleaning up another car, all while under the speed limit. Being in control with your wheels spinning in an industrial area, or out of control with them not spinning while in busy traffic. What is worse? I know the only one that gets punished. (calm down - they both should, just one is more dangerous)

All of the "you speed, pay the fine" people - you are not helping road safety. Look at it with more that the moronic, knee jerk, brainwashed by the media mentality.

The only traffic police I have seen in the last week was sitting in a usual place, just past the freeway inbound on Ferntree Gully Road. He will get you driving down hill, 70kph limit divided dual carriageway with no side streets. Makes me angry, even if he was 500 metres up the road getting people speeding where people are merging or merging unsafely at the freeway offramp I would be cool with it. We don't punish bad driving, just fast driving.

Lazy and not solving the problem. But lucrative.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #30
nstg8a

Quote:
I start to wonder how people justify quick cars on the street when they only take you to losing licence zones in a matter of seconds...

Appreciate the opinions!
im seeing this statement in a few of your posts in t his thread,...

what you are implying is that in a high horsepower car you have no choice over how fast it accelerates past the speed limit.

remember the accelerator isnt a switch. you, the driver controls the acceleration, whether its a 100kw getz or a 700kw supra.

to blame the rules and or the car for not being able to enjoy it on public roads is a copout.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post