Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2022, 02:48 PM   #1141
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Friends of ours just upgraded to a territory from a Subaru forester due to needing to fit 3 child seats in the car and not wanting to go to a van or much larger 4wd.

The ability to fit 3 across the seat used to be standard. I guess some of that loss of room is side impact safety.
I don't think its the side impact. If anything, the Territory being wider would've allowed for better protection. Might be that they're trying to sell the car in 180 countries and some might need a narrower car for their cities. Either way, the Terri was so wide and comfortable compared to the Everest. Everest drivetrain (i.e. 4x4 system) and Terri body would've been great.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #1142
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I don't think its the side impact. If anything, the Territory being wider would've allowed for better protection. Might be that they're trying to sell the car in 180 countries and some might need a narrower car for their cities. Either way, the Terri was so wide and comfortable compared to the Everest. Everest drivetrain (i.e. 4x4 system) and Terri body would've been great.
The Territory is only 38mm wider, I think Prydey is alluding to the thickness of the doors because its the internal measurements where its wider

PS the Territory drives and handles like a Car, chuck in that 4X4 capability and you loose that..

very different vehicles IMO, but all called SUVs
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #1143
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
The Territory is only 38mm wider, I think Prydey is alluding to the thickness of the doors because its the internal measurements where its wider

PS the Territory drives and handles like a Car, chuck in that 4X4 capability and you loose that..

very different vehicles IMO, but all called SUVs
Looked a bit more than 4 cms in the pictures. Also, the width might be misleading in where it is. The front guards are flared a bit and are wider than the cabin area. I'd suggest the cabin area would be significantly wider than just 4cms.

True, it would've driven differently but you'd still have the space and the bonus capability.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2022, 04:41 PM   #1144
prydey
Rob

Measurements can be misleading. Width is just the widest cross section of the car I believe. Normally there'll be a figure including mirrors and one without.

Hip and shoulder figures tell more of the story.
Old 22-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #1145
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Territory looks to have ~100mm more hip/shoulder room, something we noticed when we were looking to go to an Everest, cargo bay appeared smaller also.
351@GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 06:56 PM   #1146
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1533 View Post
Not wrong there. The Ranger is assembled in Thailand using engines, transmissions and parts made in Thailand, India or China — all countries with labour rates of about one dollar per hour. My educated guess is that the factory cost of production has to be less than $20k per copy. With the average price around $70k each, Ford is taking in $56k after GST and dealer margin, so about $30k+ gross margin.

Anybody buying a Thailand special is getting their pants pulled down….
What about the costs involved from first sketch, to prototype building, to testing, rectifying, retesting, setting up the factory for building including the presses, any upgrades to the line, paint shop. body shop, retraining of staff, .....and then you get to your bit about the actual production/assembly costs of a finished product.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 07:50 PM   #1147
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Bugga defending them…..
The OE’s make a motza compared to their sub suppliers period plus why do you think Thailand is being used so so much - Gov FTA’s and a ford factory worker by reports are paid above avg wage around A$12500.00 p/a.

Ford now has two factories in Thailand and between them they build almost 500,000 vehicles a year, which are exported to some 130 countries. The company also employs more than 6000 Thais in its factories.

New tooling costs is where a lot of the incurred costs come but they would have worked out their intended ROI within x years especially with a high volume product Then it’s great profit for them plus the over priced parts supplying their dealers who then make a motza at RRP it’s a winner.
Whereas some suppliers of high volume product supply at bugger all margin for the volume keeping their factories pumping so as they can sell other products elsewhere recovering margins supplied to OE’s……
People complain about Thailand but before them there was other low labour countries used before but as they mature and or Govs change their support or politics moves to the next cycle elsewhere.
Mexico has been growing like wild fire last 10yrs + yrs for eg and increasing heaps with more OE’s expanding there.
New freeways being built, new burbs due to the investment.
Another cycle till next just as happened to us, once labour cost rise out of hand it’s out of there and the collateral damage just left behind but they are fine.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 08:15 PM   #1148
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Somewhere in the region of 7-8% is most likely from what I can gather. It cost approx $1 billion to develop a new model, and that development cost has to be spread over every vehicle they make. A lot of people just assume that making a car just costs whatever the parts and labour are. Forgetting a thousand other things that cost the company money getting it into the buyers hands.
I think you’ll find this new Ranger etc cost a lot more than $1 Billion to develop and launch. 3 plus times more IMO.l, esp if you include upgrades to plant and equipment (eg: The South African plant updates).
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2022, 08:15 PM   #1149
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Indonesia is starting to ruffle Thailand's feathers for manufacturing, there's a bit of a drama stirring between those two as Indonesia is significantly cheaper than Thailand for manufacturing and starting to make inroads
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2022, 10:03 PM   #1150
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
On the topic of the gear stick I saw a video today that showed it moving like a traditional automatic gear stick. That's good news since I thought it was one of those dodgy ones that always sit in the centre position no matter what gear it's in.
and I can confirm that in the V6 that I drove home tonight at least, there is a really good detent feel as you shift
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 12:46 AM   #1151
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone here picked up their new Ranger or have an ETA?

I am collecting mine next week. Gonna be a long few days especially after seeing it not long after it arrived at the dealer.

Last edited by XtRmn8; 23-07-2022 at 12:52 AM.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 02:23 AM   #1152
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The V6 Rangers are really worth the wait, so smooth.

Last edited by jpd80; 23-07-2022 at 02:30 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2022, 12:57 AM   #1153
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I was curious if the new Ranger is actually any bigger than the PXIII. So I got the tape measure out. It turns out it’s exactly the same. Window to window measurement is the same. The door mirrors are bigger so overall width is about an inch wider.
But I believe Ford and automotive journalists have been pretty cagey about that fact. They all read straight from the script and report that the vehicle track is wider and the wheelbase is longer. But they have only moved the wheels. They may have pumped the guards a little but the cabin is no bigger.
I’m yet to see any journalists actually pull out a tape measure and mention this.

The production cars also seem to have lost the ruler embossed into the tailgate.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #1154
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I was curious if the new Ranger is actually any bigger than the PXIII. So I got the tape measure out. It turns out it’s exactly the same. Window to window measurement is the same. The door mirrors are bigger so overall width is about an inch wider.
But I believe Ford and automotive journalists have been pretty cagey about that fact. They all read straight from the script and report that the vehicle track is wider and the wheelbase is longer. But they have only moved the wheels. They may have pumped the guards a little but the cabin is no bigger.
I’m yet to see any journalists actually pull out a tape measure and mention this.

The production cars also seem to have lost the ruler embossed into the tailgate.
The cabin is the same, I think the tray grew maybe, but yes the wheel base and track got bigger, good for stability and handling.
Old 24-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #1155
vbomber

Quote:

They all have the ruler on the tailgate however from the XLT(?) above the black rubber/seal covers it
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #1156
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slightly off topic, but whilst I'm annoyed at waiting so long for my Ranger, I got some perspective yesterday when I drove a mate to order his new car. He wants an I20N, dealer told us, with a straight face, he was looking at 18 months wait.... Wow... Now I dont feel so bad.... He is going to call Ford to ask about wait times on Fiesta ST tomorrow instead...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #1157
prydey
Rob

I think wait times are very much model and spec dependant. A mate popped in Thursday night and he'd just ordered an XLT bi turbo with touring pack and was told Jan delivery.

He also claimed even though the specs of the bi turbo show a small drop in peak power, it felt like it drove a lot better than px3 bi turbo. May have been placebo though.
Old 24-07-2022, 02:33 PM   #1158
vbomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I think wait times are very much model and spec dependant. A mate popped in Thursday night and he'd just ordered an XLT bi turbo with touring pack and was told Jan delivery.

He also claimed even though the specs of the bi turbo show a small drop in peak power, it felt like it drove a lot better than px3 bi turbo. May have been placebo though.
They've changed the injectors and something else on the engine as well as retuning the transmission, most reviews have said you notice a difference now vs the px3
Old 24-07-2022, 03:25 PM   #1159
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Slightly off topic, but whilst I'm annoyed at waiting so long for my Ranger, I got some perspective yesterday when I drove a mate to order his new car. He wants an I20N, dealer told us, with a straight face, he was looking at 18 months wait.... Wow... Now I dont feel so bad.... He is going to call Ford to ask about wait times on Fiesta ST tomorrow instead...

I don’t think he will get an ST. I think they may be done.
Production of Focus ST has ceased and supply of the Fiesta is very limited. It may be too late.
Plenty of other brands are quoting 15-18 months for some pretty ordinary cars. This is unprecedented in the automotive industry.
Old 24-07-2022, 03:27 PM   #1160
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbomber View Post
They all have the ruler on the tailgate however from the XLT(?) above the black rubber/seal covers it

I’ll have another look but I’m yet to find one with it. Not much good if it’s covered up.
Old 24-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #1161
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I wonder if Ford will continue to hold down V6 diesel production in South Africa or if sales are stronger than expected.
Old 24-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #1162
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cabin dimensions are identical to PX3. Big difference in interior ergonomics and packaging mean that they have used the available space a bit better. Dash does not protrude into cabin as much, door cards are slimmer, front seats are not as bulky, etc. All this adds to there being a bit more space in all directions.

Externally the overall width mirror to mirror (mirrors open) is unchanged as far as I am aware. The extra 50mm track means the front and rear quarter panels are bit more pumped out. Overall length is shorter than PX3, which in my opinion is good a good thing. Next gen is 5370mm and PX3 was around 5450mm.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2022, 06:51 PM   #1163
vbomber

Quote:
I’ll have another look but I’m yet to find one with it. Not much good if it’s covered up.
Check out the base model as saw one yesterday at the dealer
Old 24-07-2022, 09:48 PM   #1164
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
Cabin dimensions are identical to PX3.
mmm. not sure. in PX3 I can put the drivers seat right back and still have rear seat legroom for my daughter. in the new one I had to put the seat 4" forward for her to be comfortable
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2022, 09:59 PM   #1165
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
mmm. not sure. in PX3 I can put the drivers seat right back and still have rear seat legroom for my daughter. in the new one I had to put the seat 4" forward for her to be comfortable
Could be different seats, seat rails, etc.
Old 25-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #1166
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley
and I can confirm that in the V6 that I drove home tonight at least, there is a really good detent feel as you shift
Agreed. I just got out of a V6 Sport, and i focused on the shifter feel after it being brought up by that journo. There is a definite detent feel between the gears. The same as you would feel in any other Ranger. No idea what the hell this journo was even going on about. The stubby shifter makes it feel a bit different to shift, but that's it.

No other journo mentioned it either.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2022, 03:03 PM   #1167
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Agreed. I just got out of a V6 Sport, and i focused on the shifter feel after it being brought up by that journo. There is a definite detent feel between the gears. The same as you would feel in any other Ranger. No idea what the hell this journo was even going on about. The stubby shifter makes it feel a bit different to shift, but that's it.

No other journo mentioned it either.
We all know the average intelligence of motoring journos is not great, like the one who let the Everest go up in flames
Old 25-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #1168
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
We all know the average intelligence of motoring journos is not great, like the one who let the Everest go up in flames
How do you let the Everest go up in flames as an individual?
Old 25-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #1169
nibble

Does the Raptor get the paddle shifter behind the steering wheel?
nibble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2022, 06:12 PM   #1170
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
How do you let the Everest go up in flames as an individual?
You drive it around for days with it throwing up fault messages due to loose battery cables
in the hope of doing a trash story on it and then take photos of it as it burns…

2 users like this post: