Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2022, 07:08 PM   #1291
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

This will seem counter intuitive but seats that seem soft and comfy can be extremely uncomfortable on longer drives. Conversely some seats that appear too firm after a short drive are far superior on a longer drive.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:23 PM   #1292
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I’m not so sure about the massive touch screen.
Sure it looks amazing and everything worked well without any lag. But trying to use it while driving is difficult and takes your attention from the road.
With physical buttons you learn where they are over time and can use them without looking or with just a quick glance.

I’ve spent some time driving a new xls and there’s certainly a lot of tech in it for an almost base model. Adaptive cruise, auto high beam, wireless Apple car play, twin turbo 2.0 and 10 speed auto and the list goes on.
Quite impressive.
Top_Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2022, 07:46 PM   #1293
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
This will seem counter intuitive but seats that seem soft and comfy can be extremely uncomfortable on longer drives. Conversely some seats that appear too firm after a short drive are far superior on a longer drive.
Absolutely agree with that.

When I first sat in the front seats of our MC Mondeo Titanium, my first though was how firm they were. Titanium and XR5 were fitted with sport seats with a mix of leather and Alcantara.

When we drove from Melbourne to Adelaide, those firm seats were a revelation. Driving a Falcon, or even a Mustang for those km's, I would have numb bum pretty soon. The Mondeo seats on the other hand were brilliant.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 08:38 PM   #1294
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Block has just started tonight.

It feels like bad timing, Ford sponsors the show and provides rangers. They are PXIII. Would you not think they would rather put another Ford in the hands of the contestants for advertising?
This user likes this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 08:46 PM   #1295
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post

It feels like bad timing, Ford sponsors the show and provides rangers. They are PXIII. Would you not think they would rather put another Ford in the hands of the contestants for advertising?
Knowing the timing of the shows airing date being so close to release of new Ranger, and the fact filming began months and months ago, so no access to new rangers for them, giving then some Transit's to use (would be just as good) would of made more sense and move them into new Ranger when and if they can before the end of filming...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2022, 11:21 PM   #1296
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I’m not so sure about the massive touch screen.
Sure it looks amazing and everything worked well without any lag. But trying to use it while driving is difficult and takes your attention from the road.
With physical buttons you learn where they are over time and can use them without looking or with just a quick glance.

I’ve spent some time driving a new xls and there’s certainly a lot of tech in it for an almost base model. Adaptive cruise, auto high beam, wireless Apple car play, twin turbo 2.0 and 10 speed auto and the list goes on.
Quite impressive.
You get used to large screens pretty quick and can use voice commands for most things. If anything, touchscreens reduce you trying to touch something and use voice commands more often. I don't use the touchscreen when I'm driving, just voice commands.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2022, 11:43 PM   #1297
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
You get used to large screens pretty quick and can use voice commands for most things. If anything, touchscreens reduce you trying to touch something and use voice commands more often. I don't use the touchscreen when I'm driving, just voice commands.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I found most of what was needed while driving was on the steering wheel anyway.

I love the one touch cruise control. I don’t even mind the over speed warning when you hit a change in speed limits. It’s quite subtle.
Well done Ford.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2022, 12:25 PM   #1298
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz

It was filmed too early to have them in new ones. But they will appear on the show, and on site in future episodes.

Keep your eyes open for a special challenge from inside the Ford design studio as well. They really want to sell the australian designed part to the viewing public.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2022, 01:25 PM   #1299
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I live a couple of blocks for one of the previous builds and by the time it's on TV they are almost only maintaining the gardens of the houses and final preps for auction.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2022, 01:45 PM   #1300
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I don't use the touchscreen when I'm driving, just voice commands.
your elocution must be way better than mine. I've yet to drive a car with voice recognition that even comes close to picking up my Pommie accent.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2022, 03:52 PM   #1301
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

A close business associate picked their new V6 XLT the other day and reported "vibrations" whilst driving......
Tailshaft way out back for review/repair to the dealer.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #1302
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
your elocution must be way better than mine. I've yet to drive a car with voice recognition that even comes close to picking up my Pommie accent.
The Sync thing in the old mans Fiesta ST works quite well with me, and I'm not exactly the easiest to understand person getting around apparently (maybe just to Queenslanders )
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #1303
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Early prototype Ranger Raptor reviews:
Quote:
2023 Ford Ranger Raptor first drive! It's an f'ing beast!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHAZx4-jn0
https://www.drive.com.au/reviews/202...pe-test-drive/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soMriL0nT-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ga4I-zzwg

Last edited by Dr Smith; 09-08-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:32 PM   #1304
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My favorite thing is in the comments someone said they moved to the US for a few years and bought the F150 Raptor, then was disappointed when they came back to Australia to see there was nothing similar on the market.

Then when the new V6TT Raptor was announced he placed an order.

The first thing someone replies to him in the comments was about the price of fuel and how no one can afford to run the new Ranger Raptor so why bother.

Always with the fuel costs - its like people have this huge chip on their shoulder someone has bought something nice for themselves.

Like the moment one of the car manufacturers comes out with a beast there's a bunch of losers who weren't ever going to buy one come out and start faffing on about fuel prices

I used to have an 1980s F100, did 35L/100km, meh.

Might as well as get the pump and then pour your 98 down the drain and go pay for it, at least 351C converted it into a nice noise

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 09-08-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #1305
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
My favorite thing is in the comments someone said they moved to the US for a few years and bought the F150 Raptor, then was disappointed when they came back to Australia to see there was nothing similar on the market.

The first thing someone replies to him in the comments was about the price of fuel and how no one can afford to run the new Ranger Raptor so why bother.

Always with the fuel costs - its like people have this huge chip on their shoulder someone has bought something nice for themselves.

Like the moment one of the car manufacturers comes out with a beast there's a bunch of losers who weren't ever going to buy one come out and start faffing on about fuel prices
Exactly...It's $1.59/L today..so I'm going to buy a Ranger Rover supercharged V8 because I can afford petrol today...whereas last week I was going to buy an electric push bike but remove the battery to save weight....
4 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2022, 02:43 PM   #1306
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

There’s plenty of buyer who don’t give a toss about fuel economy.
V8 sales increased last year.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:25 PM   #1307
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Might as well as get the pump and then pour your 98 down the drain and go pay for it, at least 351C converted it into a nice noise
I'd like to know his logic behind the excise returning and fuel jumping over $1 a litre.... People freak out over fuel prices way too much. Such knee jerk reactions.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2022, 04:58 PM   #1308
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'd like to know his logic behind the excise returning and fuel jumping over $1 a litre.... People freak out over fuel prices way too much. Such knee jerk reactions.
“Trickster” belongs in a “Dumpster”
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2022, 05:06 PM   #1309
Gumboot

Read futher down in the comments, he says
"Ordered a Wildtrak premium V6 because of diesel. If Raptor goes diesel later on, will consider. But for now, is a petrol Raptor suitable for touring? Petrol at upwards of $2.50 per litre, ($3 to $4 outback), I think will hurt sales but once the mystic and hype dies away, Ford may then realize more sales are to be tapped with diesel variant."

Seriously $4 a litre...., he is just being sensational. It's not Mad Max time yet. Maybe he should have ordered the Bi Turbo if he cant afford the fuel....
By the way, Premium 98 is $1.79 / litre near me
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2022, 10:06 AM   #1310
winkle

Here's some simple maths for those whinging about fuel prices and economy. Let's say you do 20,000 kms per year. And you average 10 litres per 100 km (just using round figures for ease of understanding). So you're going to use 2,000 litres per year. At $2.00 per litre, that would be $4,000 a year in fuel. At $1.50 per litre, you'd spend $3,000. I consider a $0.50 change in fuel price pretty big. So if fuel prices go up $0.50 per litre, it will cost you an extra $1,000 on top of what you would have paid if there was no change to the fuel price. Conversely, if fuel prices go down $0.50, you save $1,000 in a year. When your talking about a $90,000 (again, round figures) vehicle in the case of the Raptor, a difference of +/- $1,000 running costs is bugger all. I reckon most people buying a Raptor (or any vehicle at that price point) could probably afford the extra $1,000 a year. Put it into weekly terms, the extra $1,000 per year is less than $20 a week. Which is now 3 pots of beer, or 4 coffees, or 1/3 of a pack of smokes, or 2 lettuces. Bugger all really.
After watching the above video, I really wish I could fit a Raptor into my lease terms, but I can't. So I'll probably have to settle for the Wildtrak with the V6. I can live with that.
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2022, 10:33 AM   #1311
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle View Post
Here's some simple maths for those whinging about fuel prices and economy. Let's say you do 20,000 kms per year. And you average 10 litres per 100 km (just using round figures for ease of understanding). So you're going to use 2,000 litres per year. At $2.00 per litre, that would be $4,000 a year in fuel. At $1.50 per litre, you'd spend $3,000. I consider a $0.50 change in fuel price pretty big. So if fuel prices go up $0.50 per litre, it will cost you an extra $1,000 on top of what you would have paid if there was no change to the fuel price. Conversely, if fuel prices go down $0.50, you save $1,000 in a year. When your talking about a $90,000 (again, round figures) vehicle in the case of the Raptor, a difference of +/- $1,000 running costs is bugger all. I reckon most people buying a Raptor (or any vehicle at that price point) could probably afford the extra $1,000 a year. Put it into weekly terms, the extra $1,000 per year is less than $20 a week. Which is now 3 pots of beer, or 4 coffees, or 1/3 of a pack of smokes, or 2 lettuces. Bugger all really.
After watching the above video, I really wish I could fit a Raptor into my lease terms, but I can't. So I'll probably have to settle for the Wildtrak with the V6. I can live with that.
I like your numbers...and $20/week is nothing when it's going to cost 7 time more for the callout fee Miele is going to charge us just to ring our doorbell when they turn up next week...
Old 10-08-2022, 11:32 AM   #1312
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Well I've had both my Next Gens for a few days now. 1 x Sport Touring Pack Bi turbo and 1 x Wildtrak V6 (was meant to be premium pack but you can blame Fords bean counters for that). The V6 is a much nicer package, while it isn't much quicker the overall smoothness of the motor is what really makes it. The sport I bought was to replace an XL 2.2 we had so I settled on the 2.0. I don't totally hate it but its hard to wear after driving the V6. Fuel economy in both around Brisbane is 9 for the Bi turbo and 12.5 for the V6.

Things i like:
- Build quality seems good, inc paint.
- New tech is good, seems to work in both with no lag yet some have reported lag in the bigger 12 inch on the Wildtrak.
- Steering is improved over PX3 and overall ride.
- Dash cup holders in Wildtrak (should be standard on all grades).
- Aircon vents in rear

Things I dont like:
- Narrower wheel / tyre package.
- No rear floor mats in either car, like seriously Ford?
- No scuff plates on Wildtrak standard (had to buy them).
- No auto handbrake when park selected.
- Still no auto lock on the doors, FG Falcons had this 14 years ago yet we still can't seem to get it in a ranger.
- The dash cluster is low rent especially on the Wildtrak (should have had the Raptor / Platinum one). I can accept it on the XLT / Sport for what it is.
- Dash hard plastics on Wildtrak, the PX3 seemed better?
- Lack of accessories available at launch. They have designed them but no stock?

I am probably being a bit critical here but I guess the PX3 was such a good car, its hard to beat? Id give the Wildtrak a 9 out of 10 and the Sport a 7 out of 10. I think the V6 is definitely the way to go, the Bi turbo isn't a nice place to be its just too thrashy.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #1313
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
- Still no auto lock on the doors, FG Falcons had this 14 years ago yet we still can't seem to get it in a ranger
Are you talking about door lock on drive off? If so, I queried this on our Escape and there was a suggestion it was deleted due to safety.. And it was an ADR thing, however I'm not sure about that as other cars still seen to have the feature.

Edit - someone asked about this feature on a ZG Escape and got this response
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...51&postcount=4

More info in the thread here
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11486591

Last edited by prydey; 10-08-2022 at 11:44 AM.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2022, 12:09 PM   #1314
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Are you talking about door lock on drive off? If so, I queried this on our Escape and there was a suggestion it was deleted due to safety.. And it was an ADR thing, however I'm not sure about that as other cars still seen to have the feature.

Edit - someone asked about this feature on a ZG Escape and got this response
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...51&postcount=4

More info in the thread here
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11486591
Maybe it's different for commercial vehicles however my Dec 2020 built, June 2021 complianced Vito has it as did my previous 2018 Trafic. Daughter's SA Focus Titanium 2018 doesn't.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:27 PM   #1315
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Maybe it's different for commercial vehicles however my Dec 2020 built, June 2021 complianced Vito has it as did my previous 2018 Trafic. Daughter's SA Focus Titanium 2018 doesn't.
Yes, it's strange. Other manufacturers seem to still have it. Perhaps they have slightly different programming where the doors automatically unlock upon impact??

Either way, I miss the feature too. Doors can still be manually locked when you're driving so not sure what the difference is.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #1316
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I figured that was the case.

My Ram 1500 still does it thankfully, but none of my other cars do (Mustang, Escape or Rangers).

I assumed it was a safety issue, but in this day in age its a safety issue not to have it.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2022, 02:15 PM   #1317
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The 10mm narrower tyre isn't really an issue, as the tyre is also taller, giving the footprint on the road a slightly bigger patch, and more ground clearance.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #1318
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle View Post
Don't use that logic around here. I made a similar post in the petrol crisis thread and was shouted down from the roof tops.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2022, 03:47 PM   #1319
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
A close business associate picked their new V6 XLT the other day and reported "vibrations" whilst driving......
Tailshaft way out back for review/repair to the dealer.
sorry to hear that. it's a known issue and there are a fleet of guys running round all dealers to fix cars already delivered. Must have missed your mate's
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2022, 03:59 PM   #1320
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Not long ago, we were looking at $2.50/L for September, now it’s back under $1.70/L.
All the BS seems to be evaporating as a sort of normalcy comes back to fuel prices…

V6 Ranger Raptors and V6 Diesel Rangers both rock, I hope Ford sell a ton of them.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post