Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > FPV & XR Owners Club of Newcastle > Ford Performance Club of ACT Club Discussions

Ford Performance Club of ACT Club Discussions General Chit and so forth!

Old 13-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
EVL.54L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool I bought the worst BA XR8 ever....

Hi all, i thought i'd share a little story with you all about our little XR8...

It was bought almost 3 months ago, we got it for $23,000, (its also a 5 speed) which i thought was ok... the 1st test drive there was a tap in the engine i was told it was a lifter problem and it would be fixed before we took delivery, so i thought no worries and signed on the dotted line.

2 weeks later we were able to pick it, as it was in the workshop for those 2 weeks, picked it up and it still made the same noises, i was told that the "NEW" lifters had to wear in and would stop making noise after about 500k's, me being not too smart with engines believed what i was told. I picked my father up from the airport the next day(he used to be a mechanic), he then filled me in on what is the truth about my car, lifters dont need to be run they are quiet from the start! the lifters hadn't been touched..

So.. it went back to the workshop.. it then spent 2 weeks at ford, now it was thought that it could be the timing chain and adjusters. they were replaced and yet the engine still tapped! they filled it with lifter free up, thinking again that must be the problem, i got it back and was told if it still tapped after 500k's they'll pull the motor apart.

It went back of course, after a week they found it was the big end bearing! And my clutch is on its way out. (it feels fine to me?)

This is were my luck kinda changes for the good, i ended up with a completely new bottom end, the heads were reconditioned so on and so forth, my motor is now pretty much brand new with only 590k's under its belt.
But it did spend just over 2 months in the shop!

Im slowly running it in, i tell ya its hard not to put my boot to the floor, since the i bought it i haven't been able to see what it can do.

So just when i think all is good, my rear back door lock actuator craps itself, my drivers door electric window motor craps itself and my cd stacker is player up with disc slot 2 & i need to get my after market pod gauges re-wired...

Luckily everything is covered under warranty. (except the gauges)

Well i hope this didn't bore to many people i just had to tell someone my story.

We'll see you all on the next run, hopefully my car will have all problems fixed.

Cheers ADAM.

:

EVL.54L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Damn, I bought my Manual XR8 for about $21,000 and it's been nearly perfect. Only a few minor easily fixable problems.

Bad luck there Adam. Hope all goes well from now on.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
madmick

Hey adam...i'm a member of the newcastle club but haven't met you yet...I used to drag race and build cleveland race engines for street and strip and the street engines i used to tell my customers with the street engines to take it easy throught the rev range of up to about 4 thousand revs and when they got to 500k's bring it back, i used to change the oil retighten everything re torque the heads re tune the engine and from then on they could drive it how they liked....i used to spin my street cleveland motor to 7 thousand revs and never had a problem....so if you have done 590 k's drive it like you stole it and as them telling you the lifters had to be run in, fair dinkum, ya sure they were ford mechanics and no the apprentice.....lol......cheers mate and catch ya on a run........cheers Mick!!! :jab:
madmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

I like how they say it's a lifter..... On a boss? Good you got it sorted though.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
EVL.54L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmick
as them telling you the lifters had to be run in, fair dinkum, ya sure they were ford mechanics and no the apprentice.....lol......cheers mate and catch ya on a run........cheers Mick!!! :jab:
I bought the car from Maitland City Motor Group, they said it was the lifters. the car spent some sime at ford but most of the time and the re-build was done at Maitland City Motor Group's service center.

So i should be able to swap my rear mags for stocky's hey?
:evil3:

Old 13-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many kms had the car done to require that kind of work?...Although you're happy, I'd be ****ed I was lied to about the lifters being replaced in the first instance...A clutch should be good for at least 100k kms
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
EVL.54L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmale42
How many kms had the car done to require that kind of work?...Although you're happy, I'd be ****ed I was lied to about the lifters being replaced in the first instance...A clutch should be good for at least 100k kms
The car had only 93,000, its an 03 ba. the tires were bald as slicks so i think it was givin a real hard time before it was traded. I was and am still pretty ****ed but im being positive and keep telling myself it'll be almost a new car once everything is fixed!

Old 13-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL.54L
The car had only 93,000, its an 03 ba. the tires were bald as slicks so i think it was givin a real hard time before it was traded. I was and am still pretty ****ed but im being positive and keep telling myself it'll be almost a new car once everything is fixed!
Sounds like you are one very unlucky person, besides a little Gearbox drama and getting the stacker replaced, my XR8 has been faultless for me the l;ast two years.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

only problem I have ever had with my 04 XR8 is the door lock actuators and the bam module in the dash that runs the door locks,otherwise touch wood she's perfect and about to clock over the big 100,000k's in about 800ks time.Only had 60,000 on it when I got it...lol...had it for just over 2 years.Good luck with your car now Adam....

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LIfters on an overhead cam engine ? Must be a new design . LOL
Cheers
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
WASP
Whipple Induced

Hi Adam
I hate reading stories like this. They may as well have told you the sound was coming from your automatic transmission! Regardless, I’m glad to hear the motor has been rebuilt. Do you know if they just did a re-ring and bearing job? I would imagine so but at least that's better than a ticky engine.

Buying a performance car that has bold tyres can tell you a lot about how it's been treated. Anyone who actually loved their car and cared about its maintenance would not drive it around with tyres like that.

Personally I would get as many things under warranty fixed as you can. If your still not 100% confident in the car then sell it and get yourself another one (or an 03 GT) that is in better starting condition mechanically. These cars are great when they are working but are very expensive to fix for a young owner.

Best of luck

Colville
Old 19-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
EVL.54L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
I’m glad to hear the motor has been rebuilt. Do you know if they just did a re-ring and bearing job? I would imagine so but at least that's better than a ticky engine.Colville
I dont really know what was done, i was just told it was a whole new bottom end including the block.

Old 19-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
GUTLES
Adam.

Sad to hear, so far I've had a good run out of mine, 117,000kms & only the usual Timing Chain noise when cold. Have ya had it over 3500rpm yet? Thats where the fun begins & its very addictive!

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
EVL.54L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES
Have ya had it over 3500rpm yet? Thats where the fun begins & its very addictive!
Had it over 3500rpm today, 1st time.... opposite lock on dry tar! :thebirds: im running on 19's, so im heading to my tire place 2morow for some cheap steely's to save on rubber. I need to start training for Powercruise next year! lol
:eclipsee_

Old 21-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

This story says more about the quality of repairs than the quality of the car.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
This story says more about the quality of repairs than the quality of the car.
Or the owner.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #17
WillyG351c
Praise da lord,Henry Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL.54L
I bought the car from Maitland City Motor Group, they said it was the lifters. the car spent some sime at ford but most of the time and the re-build was done at Maitland City Motor Group's service center.
My mate bought a pursuit 250 from them, couple a weeks later another mate was looking at BA xr8 ute there. mentioned to the saleman about our mate who had bought the pursuit from them and the salesmen bragged that they had taken both utes out the back roads and drag raced them!!!
WillyG351c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #18
JK&N
Starter Motor

I think the message is ONLY BUY FROM A REPUTABLE FORD DEALER.
JK&N is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post