Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
BJMXR

Default KING Springs - SL or SSL?

Hey, been asking for advice a few months back about what springs to put in my AUII XR8, as i want it dropped for that nice ride height.

It seemed most of you thought that KING springs were the way to go? Just before i go and buy them do i have a confidence vote from everyone that SL for the front and SSL for the rears is the go?

The King website claims that for falcon SSL are not reccomended for street use, but i DONT want the back to be sitting up as high as the factory height currently are. So if you know this is my best option let me know... all comments are welcomed!

Cheers guys...

BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Super lows are great thats what I got in mine.. Though now Im in Canberra and driving on decent roads I wouldn't mind SSL..

Here is a pic of mine 19"s on SL

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

My mate got SL's put in on his VR but he wasn't happy with the height and put his old chopped (by himself) springs back in the rears. So SSL might be your preference if your that picky about how low the car will be. I'd just be worried about the coppers annoying you.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Pik0

definately goting to get some SLs and 19's
that looks awesome..
Coming Soon:
Lowering
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
BJMXR

Mr Cube... that does look fat!

Obviously the 19s help in looking even lower... do you find with the SL's in the front AND the rear, that the rear sits up just a little higher than the front? Factory height has this appearance... i want her as level as possible... plus ive still got the XR factory 17s.
Old 21-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll get a side shot of her for ya, just got to find that digital camera.

At the moment it doesn't I really like the stance but that could be the fact I got 4 rotors in the boot weighing it down.

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Old 21-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
LOWAU

I would recommend SSL all round if you havn't got a body kit.

I have them in an AU1 forte, sits level all round.

Might need to roll the front gards a little as tuning into driveways a little fast the tyre tends to catch a little.

My car is at legal height and doesn't scrape, but you might need to tuck the standard exaust up a little.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #8
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWAU
My car is at legal height and doesn't scrape, but you might need to tuck the standard exaust up a little.
I need to lift my exhaust with the SL's.. Mrs was driving behind me the other night and some parts of the road the exhaust was making contact and sending sparks out the back apparently..

AUI VCT:

Old 21-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
stiddy
Banned

Depends if your going to be changing shocks aswell???
if your not changing shocks i wouldnt go lower than SL's specially in the rear...
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #10
buickman
buickman

I've the SL Kings & on some large bumps the IRS cradle scrapes. Remember its you thats got to be happy with how it sits. Also think if you might go on dirt roads somewhere that to low might hit the underneath & damage the cat & exhaust.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
$needmoney$

ive got sl all round and the back does look to high. it pretty much never scrapes. i would definately get ssl on the back. im planning on changeing mine to ssl on the back in the next couple of weeks. you will be disapointed with sl.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 10:33 PM   #12
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by $needmoney$
ive got sl all round and the back does look to high. it pretty much never scrapes. i would definately get ssl on the back. im planning on changeing mine to ssl on the back in the next couple of weeks. you will be disapointed with sl.
I'd go the exact opposite as mine sits low at the rear and high at the front with sl all round. Might just be that mines a fairlane. When l scrape its on its belly right where the fuel rail runs. Only scrapes when i'm bieng stupid driving through padoocks too fast though.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #13
philut
XR8 driver

Default AU suspension

I have just put SSL King springs in my AUI XR8 and have a problem with the bump stops being to big which have to be cut which drops the car to a ride height from the center of the wheel to the wheel arch at 315mm. : That is very low as I had SL before which rode at 345mm. The other problem is the new Koni adjustable shocks are too long in the body, so I am selling them and Bilstien have made a shock with an adjustable spring platform which means I can still use the King SSL spring. And some minor guard work maybe required hence the reason I have opted to go to the adjustable platorms, I don't want to go modifying the body in any way. Kings said that if you want the AU's to sit level use SL in the front and SSL in the rear and use a spacer to bring the rear level to the front.

If you are using the car on a daily basis the SSL causes the car to bottom out alot, plus it is vary stiff ride. As I don't drive my car alot the SSL suits me fine. I am still in the works of sorting it all out. We did do the SSL and the SL combination to another AUI and it looked really good and drives really well.
I hope this helps. If you need any help pm me.

cheers

Phil
philut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 02:29 AM   #14
stiddy
Banned

i had lows on the front, and super lows on the rear to make the car sit level.. well it didnt, the rear sat lower than the front.. (probably because i have 2 15in subs/ big sub box in the boot) so i had the rears replaced with lows instead, now the car sits level, and still sits reasonably low, and i rarely scrape on anything..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 05:04 AM   #15
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im looking at getting lowered springs for my AU fairlane soon
and was wondering if the SSL will bring me BELOW 100mm off the ground??

as id prefer it to be legal...as im not a robber.. so dont need cops chasin me lol

so how many MM or CM is there from the lowest point on SSL and SL ??

id be leaning toward SSL in the rear and SL in the front from what you guys have said!

also where can i get camber kits from to fix my irs camber problems when the new springs go in? and how much are they?
thanks guys
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 05:18 AM   #16
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
ialso where can i get camber kits from to fix my irs camber problems when the new springs go in? and how much are they?
thanks guys
Places that do suspension / ie pedders or similar should supply these along with fitting and adjustment if needed cant remember the price but if you called around they should be able to quote you, but its cheaper than scrubbing out tyres all of the time.

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 05:56 PM   #17
BJMXR

Thanks guys!

I am mildly concerned about scrubbing out the tyres too... so would you strongly suggest the camber kits? Im tending toward the SSL for the rears. I do drive the car on a daily basis, but generally on well(ish) made roads.

The last thing i would want also is a low car that handles like ... the AUII tends to push (understeer) through corners, have any of you had this worsen as a result of lowering in terms of handling?
Old 22-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #18
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I was thinking of going for Lovell springs.

Anybody know how these compare to King Spings?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #19
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Just remember when you have a full tank and people onboard, SSL might be to low???.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:24 AM   #20
FRIKA
FRIKA

I have just had King SSL front and rear installed and love it to death. I originally had SL in front and SSL in rear and it just didnt do it for me especially cause I have only 17inch rims the back turned out to be slightly lower than the front. I however have also put short shocks in as well and the ride is fantastic. No probs yet (Touch Wood) only slight noise but thats what you get for going so low.
Old 23-11-2005, 03:39 AM   #21
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how far OFF the ground IS the car with SSL?

and i believe anybody with IRS .. will need a camber kit if they go below SL suspension on an XR model and anybody with a NON XR has to have a camber kit no matter how low they go... stupid ford..

thanks guys
Old 24-11-2005, 07:16 AM   #22
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
how far OFF the ground IS the car with SSL?

and i believe anybody with IRS .. will need a camber kit if they go below SL suspension on an XR model and anybody with a NON XR has to have a camber kit no matter how low they go... stupid ford..

thanks guys

Dont go ssl on the rear of your lane as mine sits about 15mm lower in the rear than the front with sl all round.
Old 24-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #23
dale hancock
gold au2

hey peeps, how low could i go before changing my shocks aswell or should i change them anyway...
dale hancock is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #24
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not too sure, but depending on the age of the shocks I would be looking at changing em..

My Mrs has SL in her Ute and pretty sure the standard XR shocks.. Shocks are about at the end of there life.. They performed well they need changing now though

AUI VCT:

Old 24-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #25
FRIKA
FRIKA

My Back sits about 5mm higher with full tank on the back thats with SSL front and back.
GO SSL
Old 24-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #26
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you got a pic of urs riding on SL's AU-MUSTD??

i also have 18" rims so wanna get nice n close to them!!
id say ill prolly end up going SL all the way around.. keep it nice n even..

n for those that followed my user car thing..
im not putting the hydros in as finance company and insurance wouldnt of liked it sadly..
Old 24-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #27
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Here you go sl all around and rides better than standard.
Old 25-11-2005, 01:40 AM   #28
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that looks good and level dont it!!

what size wheels are they??
and how many mm off the ground is it??
i wanna be just above if not right on 100mm..
Old 25-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #29
BJMXR

Has anyone got pics of their XR with SL front and SSL rear?

That would be good to see. I think ive made the decision on the SSL rears however, but photos evidence never goes astray!
Old 25-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #30
FRIKA
FRIKA

my car is on pg 119 of the show n shine try the second lot further down the page. ssl front and rear