Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-01-2023, 10:03 AM   #2071
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Wrong stripes, I think PJ means this type.... I've posted this pic before, it's my car detailers lawn.

Yes, I remember that "Stonework".

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2023, 10:06 AM   #2072
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Yes you're going to need a mower with a roller. It can be done with a rotary but the lines won't be a pronounced.

The idea is that the roller folds the leaf over, as the light reflects from the leaf it gives the illusion of light and dark stripes. Light as the grass is folded away from you and dark towards you.

If you hit the same lines time after time you'll end up ironing in a permanent grain magnifying the effect. We try not to do this in sports turf as it causes fast and slow spots in the playing surface.
Double or triple cutting can also help make the lines pop.
As for patterns, thats up to you're imagination and at the end of the day its only lawn, it'll grow back.
Yeah that all makes sense!

I don't know if I can be bothered sorting out a roller, maybe I'll just settle for nice looking lawn hah
Old 14-01-2023, 09:21 PM   #2073
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
No direct apology so far. This was the last email from him at 11.03pm last night -

"Hi ####

Sure, I’ll arrange a new belt or refund. The guy doing the job has a heap of experience but everyone under the pump and mistakes happen. I appreciate the feedback and would much rather know about the issues. I hope we can do business again in the future.

Let me know what suits you best as I would need to order the belt.
Cheers........"

The last contact I had with this place was on the 19th of December, agreeing to be partially refunded for this debacle. Well, as of last Sunday, January 8th, I still had not received this refund. I know it was in the lead up to Christmas ect, so I gave them time to respond. By Sunday, I was through with giving them leeway and wrote an email to Victa HQ.

Like my initial emails to the dealer, I spelled the story out in a calm and factual manner, explaining how this is not how a business should be representing a well-respected brand like Victa. I have not had a reply from Victa itself, but two days later I had a refund from the dealer. Had this guy just made good on his word, I would not have raised the issue any further, but the guy just wanted to sweep it under the rug and forget about.

Next, I think a Google review is needed. Franco, any tips?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 05:21 PM   #2074
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Today I put a price rise on all bar one of my mowing charges, backdated to the start of January this year as my clients have monthly accounts. Not that I'm being greedy, neither will it make me rich, but this will at least pay for the rise in fuel costs. It also put it closer to my hourly rate charge.

At the end of the day, there is a reason why some people farm out the lawn mowing to someone else, it's hard work! It's even more hard work when you do back to back lawns all day long, especially when it's 38 degrees and humid as hell! The money I ask for this should reflect that.
Mustang GT

Old 16-01-2023, 05:49 PM   #2075
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Today I put a price rise on all bar one of my mowing charges, backdated to the start of January this year as my clients have monthly accounts. Not that I'm being greedy, neither will it make me rich, but this will at least pay for the rise in fuel costs. It also put it closer to my hourly rate charge.

At the end of the day, there is a reason why some people farm out the lawn mowing to someone else, it's hard work! It's even more hard work when you do back to back lawns all day long, especially when it's 38 degrees and humid as hell! The money I ask for this should reflect that.
Dude, theres no such thing as a successful business owner who is the 'nice' guy. Yes, there is great customer service and a good job that is being a nice guy. You cannot run close or at a loss. Customer service guy and business guy have to work together. Its a weird ballance, good job, charge enough to cover overheads and make an earning and keep repeat business. You do a good job, well, the best form of advertising is word of mouth.
I learnt a lot from my late dad. He was a director of a mortgage company. I have no insperations, perspirations or aspirations to start and own a multimillion dollar company, but my dad did that. He was just a normal bloke at home. But when it comes to business, theres no such thing as a nice guy.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 06:06 PM   #2076
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
I don't begrudge that at all - and I most appreciate those who are just upfront and good about things.

I usually work 6 days a week from about 8-6pm. I'm home by about 6:30ish. I honestly don't want to spend the only day off I get a week (Sunday) having do a ****load of work around the house.

Hence why I would be open to paying for a gardener soon.. just need to have a bit more complete in the way of plants etc so its completely justifiable
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 06:11 PM   #2077
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Why not reach out now? A contractor in charge of stuff they enjoy might give a better result than someone sighing every fortnight as they attempt to resuscitate, encourage or shape up poor choices by the owner.

Even turfing matters! The right turf on the right preparation.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 06:12 PM   #2078
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
I don't begrudge that at all - and I most appreciate those who are just upfront and good about things.

I usually work 6 days a week from about 8-6pm. I'm home by about 6:30ish. I honestly don't want to spend the only day off I get a week (Sunday) having do a ****load of work around the house.

Hence why I would be open to paying for a gardener soon.. just need to have a bit more complete in the way of plants etc so its completely justifiable
I have the same reasoning with cleaning the house. I work 6 days a week too, I don't want to mop floors and clean bathrooms on my day off. So, I pay someone to do it for me. And they charge is what it is because I understand how it works.
Mustang GT

Old 17-01-2023, 01:01 AM   #2079
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There’s nothing more demotivating than working for less than you are worth.
I had one gardening client who insisted I give him a discount for working a whole day, he was trying to get 20% off his gardening. But by hell, if I’m busting my chops into hr 7 or 8 I want my full hourly rate.
But ultimately your business doesn’t operate in a vacuum, everything has gone up, and your customers expect your prices to as well.

Most of my customers are highly skilled in their professions, earn good $ and pay me to maintain their properties to a high standard so they can come home and relax rather than stress over keeping yard looking nice.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz

Last edited by danzvtil; 17-01-2023 at 01:13 AM.
danzvtil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2023, 06:16 PM   #2080
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Just picked up a new weed sprayer..............

https://duralirrigation.com.au/produ...44059583840575

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=746

Mustang GT

Old 19-01-2023, 04:21 PM   #2081
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Place I was just staying at had an interesting 18V Ryobi sprayer unit. Never seen one.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2023, 06:27 PM   #2082
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Place I was just staying at had an interesting 18V Ryobi sprayer unit. Never seen one.

Looks like they are using Solo wand's on those. They also offer a 36V version too -

https://www.ryobi.com.au/products/de...-only-r36bps10
Mustang GT

Old 19-01-2023, 07:16 PM   #2083
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have been binge watching this channel of late............

https://www.youtube.com/@TarylFixesAll/videos

Yes, he's a noisy yank, but I find him strangely entertaining.
Mustang GT

Old 22-01-2023, 04:07 PM   #2084
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Sharpened my hedger with the rotary tool today.............

Wish I had invested in one of these a long time ago! Cuts much more precisely now.
Mustang GT

Old 22-01-2023, 08:40 PM   #2085
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you sharpen just the moving blade!.?
Did you need to de-burr?
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2023, 09:24 PM   #2086
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Did you sharpen just the moving blade!.?
Did you need to de-burr?
The "upper" blades, the ones with the angle on them only. I didn't de-burr them in this case.
Mustang GT

Old 23-01-2023, 04:06 PM   #2087
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Dragged the MasterCut out of the shed and slashed down a couple of weeks growth on my back lawn.

Came up pretty good, I simply gave the lawn a blow over afterwards to even out the clippings.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2023, 04:27 PM   #2088
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any one watched ‘Tim the lawn mower man’ on YouTube?
Old 23-01-2023, 04:49 PM   #2089
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Any one watched ‘Tim the lawn mower man’ on YouTube?
I have watched a few of his and similar channels. I just wish they would show more real time content rather than the sped-up stuff, I like to hear the engines running.

This guy got me through Covid, hours and hours of chopping trees down!
https://www.youtube.com/@GuiltyofTreeson

I have also been enjoying the more mechanical videos recently.

I get a laugh out of this channel, while also learning methodical processes.
https://www.youtube.com/@TarylFixesAll

I like this channel; she is really good at cutting through the bravado of the industry.
https://www.youtube.com/@Chickanic

This guy is pretty rough, but very compelling.
https://www.youtube.com/@junkyarddog87

This is a good how-to channel, especially for 2-stroke Victa's
https://www.youtube.com/@Varietech-AU
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2023, 04:57 PM   #2090
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have watched a few of his and similar channels. I just wish they would show more real time content rather than the sped-up stuff, I like to hear the engines running.

This guy got me through Covid, hours and hours of chopping trees down!
https://www.youtube.com/@GuiltyofTreeson

I have also been enjoying the more mechanical videos recently.

I get a laugh out of this channel, while also learning methodical processes.
https://www.youtube.com/@TarylFixesAll

I like this channel; she is really good at cutting through the bravado of the industry.

This guy is pretty rough, but very compelling.
https://www.youtube.com/@junkyarddog87

This is a good how-to channel, especially for 2-stroke Victa's
https://www.youtube.com/@Varietech-AU
Watched one we’re he had a electric lawn mower on loan from Campbelltown mowers.Did it with ease! One guy made a smart alec remark that that was a load s@#t.He has trouble with a petrol mower.I fired back & said no it is not, I have a Ryobi 36V mower, and it cut through our very overgrown nature strip in our brand new house(developer should have been all over that) it cut through with relative ease.They pack a punch.I was very sceptical to begin with, but I have well & truly been ‘converted’! Tim also replied ‘it’s all smoke & mirrors’! Great comeback.
Old 23-01-2023, 06:54 PM   #2091
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like how she wears her skimpy short shorts in the thumbnail, and she’s like 40. You go girl ;)

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 26-01-2023, 05:52 PM   #2092
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Today I tackled the big cleanup on this old Stihl 028 AV Super, which I have fully documented in my usual thread, so I will just post the before and afters here.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...postcount=2041

Before -

During -

Reassembled, ready for the mechanical work.

As I had the carby exposes, the fuel lines had snapped off and were laying in the airbox. I'm going to have the Stihl dealer get it going, replacing whatever is needed. Can't wait to hear it running!
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2023, 06:27 PM   #2093
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Much better! Is the oiler working OK?

They (Stihl concession) might just want to slap a new carb on it, hopefully they’ll discuss options before removing originality.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2023, 06:45 PM   #2094
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Much better! Is the oiler working OK?

They (Stihl concession) might just want to slap a new carb on it, hopefully they’ll discuss options before removing originality.
I did not even bother to attempt starting the machine, before or after the clean, so no idea about the oiler. I'll leave that up to the dealer.

As for the carb, I'm not phased which way they go. The one on it will be the original Walbro, ideally that would be preferable to a cheap aftermarket equivalent.

Either way, I will take the machine in with a list of what I want done.
Mustang GT

Old 27-01-2023, 05:28 PM   #2095
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The orange colouring on the recoil cover badge was removed during the cleaning process on the 028. Last night, I tracked down a new-old-stock replacement, it just looks naked without the orange colouring.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2023, 04:56 PM   #2096
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Today I tackled the big cleanup on this old Stihl 028 AV Super, which I have fully documented in my usual thread, so I will just post the before and afters here.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...postcount=2041

Before -

During -

Reassembled, ready for the mechanical work.

As I had the carby exposes, the fuel lines had snapped off and were laying in the airbox. I'm going to have the Stihl dealer get it going, replacing whatever is needed. Can't wait to hear it running!
Awesome work, it'll be super sweet to be able to use it again, these old things may not be as efficient as the new saws but are defiantly not to be underestimated.
It could be a gateway though, it starts by tinkering with and collecting nos parts for a saw, the next thing you know there'll be a project car in the driveway, its a slippery slope
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2023, 06:01 PM   #2097
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Awesome work, it'll be super sweet to be able to use it again, these old things may not be as efficient as the new saws but are defiantly not to be underestimated.
It could be a gateway though, it starts by tinkering with and collecting nos parts for a saw, the next thing you know there'll be a project car in the driveway, its a slippery slope
The old saying "they don't make em like they used to" applies to that chainsaw. In several places, this old 028 is metal where my new MS 271 is plastic. Certainly a more robust construction overall............heavier though.

While the old and new saws share similar capacities, the 028 being 51.5cc and the 271 being 50.2cc, there is no doubt the newer one has bigger balls.

Also, see below for more tinkering!
Mustang GT

Old 28-01-2023, 06:10 PM   #2098
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Today I refurbished the carby on my old red Victa. Considering I blew up the bridge leading to my usual go-to small engine repair shop, I'm having to do these jobs myself now.

The main job was replacing the diaphragm and gasket.

Old diaphragm.............

Parts cleaned, new parts installed...............

Replacement governor springs..............

Reinstalled and ready for a test fire...........

The engine fired up on the second pull, I then adjusted the governor to the correct speed, changed the oil and re-torqued the head bolts.

Then a quick clean and lashings of Meguiar's Hyper Dressing..............

All documented here -
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...postcount=2047
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2023, 07:13 PM   #2099
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

You need a Youtube channel mate, id love to watch the detailing/gardening/mowing videos!
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2023, 10:08 PM   #2100
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I see an ultrasonic cleaner in your future, Mr B.
2 users like this post: