Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation The day I had a $1000 bingle in Lara's $200,000 Aston Martin

The day I had a $1000 bingle in Lara's $200,000 Aston Martin

* By Maureen Shelley
* March 16, 2010 11:00PM

We test drive Lara Bingle's Aston Martin at Rick Damelian's prestige car dealership.

IT was all going so well until I had to park it.

I'd almost mastered the six-speed manual gearbox, worked out how to use the two-stage handbrake for reverse hill starts, managed to declutch the engine and use the starter button.

But a simple parallel park was too much. I ended up scraping the 19 inch spoked alloy wheel on Lara Bingle's $230,000 Aston Martin.

Sorry Clarkey, I truly tried to return the vehicle in the almost pristine condition it was in before I took it for a spin along Parramatta Rd.

I'd booked the car that Clarke had bought for his former fiance Lara Bingle for a test drive. It is an Aston Martin that would set back the purchaser $235,000 after stamp duty and insurance. I'd seen the car the day before and been driven around the block by the dealer.

The car hadn't been out of the showroom in a month and it failed to start first time. When it did, smoke poured out of its stainless steel exhaust system, which comes complete with active bypass valves - whatever that might mean.

As an experienced driver, I thought I was capable of driving anything.

Yet this all-alloy, quad overhead cam, 32 valve 4.7 litre V8 is a brute. To satisfy the dealer's requirements, I paid a $5000 deposit, signed a test-drive agreement and agreed to a full credit check before taking the vehicle out of the showroom.

The dealer drove on to Parramatta Rd and we swapped seats on a quieter road around the corner from Rick Damelian's prestige showroom.

I was glad because it took a while to master the six-shift box. Also, driving in 10cm heels didn't help. (My comment DOH !!!!!)

At 168cm tall, I sat low in the vehicle and it felt like the full-grain leather seats (with tan saddle-stitching) were wrapped around me.

I managed to rev the vehicle to about half its capacity on Parramatta Rd, about the third time I tooled the monster around the block. It's a high-revving vehicle that will deliver 313kW of power when asked. I was driving it like an old lady going to church, I was so scared that I'd damage the brute.

All my care and attention was paying off. I managed to stall it just once, ground the gears only twice and got stuck with my tail sticking out blocking traffic on the odd occasion. Then, after my sixth lap of honour, I thought I could handle a simple parallel park.

I lined up beside the car in front outside Fort Street High School. I used the brakes to control the vehicle downhill and moved it gently into position. Sadly, over-confidence struck and I scraped the passenger-side front wheel on the kerb. The car dealer was not a happy chappy and I drove back to the yard in disgrace.

Getting out of the Aston, my legs were like jelly, only partly because of the fear and loathing I thought was about to be unleashed on me by the harried dealership staff.

The 19-inch spoked alloy wheel would need to be reground and sprayed at a cost of $1000.

After a free and frank discussion, they gave me a fairly direct assessment of my conduct.

Executive general manager Shaun said they'd be deducting about $1000 from the $5000 deposit that they'd taken from my credit card.

I don't think an Aston Martin is me really; I think I'll stick to the Astra.

Old 17-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL that so funny
Old 17-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Maybe she should have taken driving lessons from the two 14yr olds that stole it months ago...
Old 17-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

To the paper it would have been worth a grand for the 'bingle' headline.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
To the paper it would have been worth a grand for the 'bingle' headline.
Haha, a LOT more.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

This car is certainly generating some media history.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
greens_tuf

I read this article in the paper... Geez she's talking about the car like she is Jeremy Clarkson...

I'd almost mastered the six-speed manual gearbox, whatever. Lol ground the gears twice.

Why was she trying to park it? If I was the dealer I wouldn't let them anywhere near the gutters...
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I was the car dealer I'd take the whole $5k deposit. $1k to fix the wheel & the other $4k for gearbox repairs.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

WTF?

Is she a motoring journalist? It sounds like it the way she delivered the stats in the article but then has no idea on how to drive it? Can't drive a manual, Can't parallel park, Stalls it, accidentally drifts it and drives in heals?

What was the dealer thinking?

Glad she didn't buy the car - god knows what it would look like after a month of owning it...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

This is not news, no offence meant, but its really not :
Old 17-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

"As an experienced driver, I thought I was capable of driving anything."

She is all that is wrong with idiots on the roads. Not bumping into curbs is a fairly basic command of the controls i would have thought. As stated at the dealer i work at she would have been asked to remove the heels for a start and customers are not allowed to drive away from the yard, or allowed to park, they are asked to just leave it in the middle of the car park.
Im sorry but anyone who drives in thongs, heels, bumps into things and thinks its ok, cant use the mirrors, please have the decency to let me know when you will be on the roads so that i can make sure that i am not.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
low_72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Maybe she should have taken driving lessons from the two 14yr olds that stole it months ago...
Yeah the setup to keep here in the news...turned a bit pear shape for her now...
low_72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
Eb5litre

What else would you expect from a female driver!!!!
Surely $1000.00 is a bit much for reparing one rim.
Eb5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
MAV50L
Banned

Yeah but it got Rick Damillian car sales in the news hey.
Free advertising..................................
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
Terraplainin'

After reading this non news today, I want my five minutes back.

Read the comments in the paper's site after the article...
Terraplainin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #16
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb5litre
What else would you expect from a female driver!!!!
Surely $1000.00 is a bit much for reparing one rim.

Yeah but its an "aston martin" rim and its a dealer so charge what they want :
Old 18-03-2010, 12:39 AM   #17
XR8GRL