Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2023, 09:21 PM   #31
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: VE Commodore Front Structure

I think the pseudo-long weekend is bringing a bout of “tomorrowitis” for many. Waiting to hear back from several privateers to lock in sales, after an initial good response. Not achieving much on the job card, doesn’t sit well with my expectations of self.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2023, 01:33 AM   #32
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

What long weekend?
Old 24-04-2023, 02:40 AM   #33
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Tuesday being Anzac Day, a lot of people seem to be having Monday off.

What do Holden people typically call this part? Knowing the most favoured description will help me bargain hunt.
Old 24-04-2023, 05:11 AM   #34
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

like this for $50
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25467245...evt=1&mkcid=28
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-04-2023, 07:09 AM   #35
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, I was hoping to find a consistent “everyday” name so I didn’t look like a complete bunny. Like, it might be known as a resonator hose, or intake trunking, or a throttle body hose.

There’s several versions, it seems the 3.6 is consistently using one of them but I might need the old unit to compare numbers.
Old 24-04-2023, 09:33 AM   #36
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

And a stray punchline, partway through.

Old mate, at seven this morning: “Would this be a good opportunity to do the timing chains?”

So, yeah, LLT donk. What kit is best value/most suited for a 265K motor, two senior owners, that’s missed the last three or four oil changes?
Old 24-04-2023, 10:02 AM   #37
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

This guy did a video on front end collision repair on a VY. Might be worth a watch. There are 3 videos he made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y92ZnSjaON0
Old 24-04-2023, 10:06 AM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
And a stray punchline, partway through.

Old mate, at seven this morning: “Would this be a good opportunity to do the timing chains?”

So, yeah, LLT donk. What kit is best value/most suited for a 265K motor, two senior owners, that’s missed the last three or four oil changes?
The genuine GM kit
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2023, 10:35 AM   #39
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The genuine GM kit
Do you know which US GM kits it crosses to?

I provided mileage and service history as some kits mention oil pump guides, others sprockets, some add a water pump.
Old 24-04-2023, 08:35 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Do you know which US GM kits it crosses to?

I provided mileage and service history as some kits mention oil pump guides, others sprockets, some add a water pump.

The only kit they have in stock is the 'timing gear set' at the bottom, but they don't actually say what the kit includes when you go into 'more details' - I've just used 09-2011 LLT SV6 Commodore as the guide for this.

Typical bull**** half *** cataloguing, lets ice all our skilled parts guys and go to electronic cataloging but do it half assed so everyone has to call anyway.
Old 24-04-2023, 10:31 PM   #41
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The only timing kit part number I could find was 92282427 and I couldn’t get clarity on what was in it.

Was talking to a wrecker today called Tyson (no, he didn’t chew my ear! ) and he indicated that a genuine kit with heaps of redundant bits (at least how they used it…) was the go.

Now have replacement intake trunking, decent used (genuine) radiator and picking up tomorrow arvo genuine used S1 projector headlights in allegedly good condition. I’m $239 in after that, including 250ml of Red Passion basecoat (@vgautopaints) for edging up.

Now I know the visible differences between S1 and S2 lights it’s given me confidence to say they were the first type.
Old 24-04-2023, 10:48 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The only timing kit part number I could find was 92282427 and I couldn’t get clarity on what was in it.

Was talking to a wrecker today called Tyson (no, he didn’t chew my ear! ) and he indicated that a genuine kit with heaps of redundant bits (at least how they used it…) was the go.

Now have replacement intake trunking, decent used (genuine) radiator and picking up tomorrow arvo genuine used S1 projector headlights in allegedly good condition. I’m $239 in after that, including 250ml of Red Passion basecoat (@vgautopaints) for edging up.

Now I know the visible differences between S1 and S2 lights it’s given me confidence to say they were the first type.
Any of that real important stuff like timing hardware and engine sensors - genuine is best.

All the new aftermarket MAF sensors being sold through the parts resellers for the AU wheezer Falcons are causing issues at the moment, they're not the right one for the car and its causing them to run massively rich.
Old 25-04-2023, 05:43 AM   #43
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
The only kit they have in stock is the 'timing gear set' at the bottom, but they don't actually say what the kit includes when you go into 'more details' - I've just used 09-2011 LLT SV6 Commodore as the guide for this.
I’ve been scraping up images with Google, the timing gear set is four variator sprockets with centre bolts, two intermediate (transfer) sprockets with bolts, and crank sprocket with new washer.

The chain kit is epic, it’s gaskets, seals, bolts, yada yada.

Image credit: Australian Online Car Parts (also hyperlinked from image)

Image credit: Oz Car Parts (although via eBay)

I’d like to know what the sensible criteria is for replacing or not replacing the gears.
Old 25-04-2023, 11:12 AM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Chain kit is showing no stock at my local dealership and no stock at their VIC DC either which is a concern
Old 25-04-2023, 11:23 AM   #45
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The breakdown list I cribbed, would probably help cross to a US kit. I haven’t joined any Commodore forums yet but that could be a source of such information.

Honestly though, at this point - I’m thinking it might be “tidier” to get the bodywork across the line and see if the tensioner screens are just a little crudded-up via a few flushes and changes. $2K in parts plus whatever labour on top is a fair whack in light of the present situation.
Old 25-04-2023, 02:27 PM   #46
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The timing chains are so much easier with the front off the car. You can’t really pull it all off a again later, without having to degas and regas the AC again, so you’re better off doing it now. You’ll curse yourself if you have to do them later when it’s all back together……
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2023, 02:45 PM   #47
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I totally get that, it’s the curse of many jobs.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...11432929&jsn=3

The bones of a genuine kit, not sure if the cover gaskets are LLT or LFX though. I’d still have to scare up guides, and nobody has been able to say what conditions predicate sprocket replacement, or the oil pump (whether it’s genuinely common or uncommon to need them).

So the kit above would be at least a week away, no idea on other parts. I’ve got that E46 screaming for attention and a bunch of other jobs as well.

It’s a pet hate at work of people launching into a job without confirming everything likely needed or the source/price. And then when they get a bill that includes $140 (supply, ex labour) for drop links that should have been $55 because we didn’t look hard enough - it can erode customer confidence.
Old 25-04-2023, 09:58 PM   #48
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Returning to the guts of this thread, can/do you mount the headlights on the radiator support before fitting it up?

I have headlights now, there’s a wide range of interpretation between peoples’ ideas about “good condition”, “complete” and “no broken tabs”.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2023, 10:06 PM   #49
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Nope, rad support on first then headlights.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2023, 10:18 PM   #50
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thanks - was hoping it could be pre-assembled.
Old 26-04-2023, 06:26 PM   #51
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

How tolerant is the Alloytec to running without coolant? Can you go 250, 500m or not ideal?

Forgot to add my thanks for diagnosis of prior non-running condition. Replacement inlet trunking fixed it perfectly.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 26-04-2023 at 06:44 PM.
Old 26-04-2023, 10:00 PM   #52
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It’s a lottery. I know of one that had a leaky water pump, and it went from Penrith to Wetherill Park, with the owner ignoring the temp gauge (which ended up reading “normal” after the coolant level dropped below the sensor). It swallowed 8L of water before it was back to “normal” and he repeated the process several times until he got a new water pump. It’s still doing fine. No warping, no cracking.

But I know of others that were overheated just once, and needed intake gaskets. One needed a head gasket.

If you’re only moving it down the road, and it doesn’t get a chance to warm up, then it will be fine. If you’re worried about it, take the belt off, plug the bottom hose, and fill the block with water. You’ll get 3-4 minutes before it gets warm, but the water will keep the heat even, unlike empty coolant passages.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2023, 10:13 PM   #53
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s probably 2km, so that would be four or five “instalments” of driving and waiting. Starts to stretch out the time a bit. I’ve just got to flush the ATF lines in the donor radiator and it can go in - think that’s a job for early tomorrow.

Having “not fun” with backyard wreckers ghosting me.
Quote:
22 April 2023
G’day, chasing pretty much this for a friend who shunted someone on Thursday with his VE Calais. Do you still have it, and is it free of damage including washer reservoir?
Thanks
5:06 pm
Read

Hi mate 8:18 pm

Still have it 8:18 pm

No damage 8:18 pm

Complete 8:18 pm

23 April 2023
Cheers,
I’ve got some issue with Dumbtree not actually showing my messages the last two weeks just the notifications, it’s a pain.
Happy to see you today, from 11AM onward.
It’s a rush course in Commodores, I’ve had Fords for years. Also looking for the trunking between throttle body and airbox as it got crunched.
Anyhow you’ve got my number from the first message.
Cheers
9:32 am
Read

Hey mate sure I’ll buzz yo soon 2:01 pm

Cheers. Messages are showing again, hopefully will stay visible.
4:45 pm
Read

26 April 2023
Do you still want to sell this? Have ute, cash ready to go.
8:56 am
Read

Hey mate 5:48 pm

Yes still have it 5:48 pm

Great, tell me where and when we can deal. 5:51 pm
Also, I watched a YT video from “Go Tech” that made a simple exposition of changing the timing chains, guides, oil pump, crank sprocket and intermediate idlers. The presenter didn’t replace the cam sprockets perhaps because they aren’t supplied by Mellings - who were sponsoring the video - or perhaps because they felt it wasn’t necessary.

I’ve seen a lot of timing belts changed by age, not mileage, and a complete kit used when a belt alone would have sufficed, hence my questioning of the actual means for determining when to replace.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 26-04-2023 at 10:40 PM.
Old 27-04-2023, 02:49 AM   #54
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
I’ve seen a lot of timing belts changed by age, not mileage, and a complete kit used when a belt alone would have sufficed, hence my questioning of the actual means for determining when to replace.
When it comes to tensioners & idler pulleys/bearings, I regard them as something I'd rather replace while I'm in there instead of coming back in 6 months time to re-do the job all over again.
Old 27-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #55
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

“Kind of” urgent…

Does anyone reading here have a contact who can interrogate the following VIN for colour, please? The basic online decoders are sending it back as white - it’s definitely a red of some sort.

6G1EK55B49L161336
Old 27-04-2023, 11:35 AM   #56
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a metal tag on the LH strut tower. It will have the correct body paint code on it.
Old 27-04-2023, 11:38 AM   #57
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, that’s where I got the damaged vehicle’s paint code of 352N from. But I’m eyeing up a bonnet 30km away (the cited VIN) and don’t want to commit if it’s not right after all.
Old 27-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #58
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Colour code is GIC/352n and its official name is "Red Passion"

Last edited by Interceptor; 27-04-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2023, 12:06 PM   #59
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Of that VIN? You’re awesome!
Old 27-04-2023, 12:06 PM   #60
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, that’s where I got the damaged vehicle’s paint code of 352N from. But I’m eyeing up a bonnet 30km away (the cited VIN) and don’t want to commit if it’s not right after all.
Assuming the seller can’t tell you the code from the tag anymore……

If it’s from a VE1, and it’s a metallic red, then it’s highly likely to be red passion - assuming the colour shade looks close in a picture. Red passion was a colour used from launch, so you’ve got a good spread of years for possible parts.

There are some other metallic reds that came later in VE updates/VE2, like sizzle, that you may not be able to tell apart on a phone or computer screen, but it’s more orange in real life.