Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Non-payment of rego; getting out of the fine

Hi,
as the title suggests, I have a mate who has recently copped a fine for non-payment of rego.
He was picked up by number plate recognition. A long story, but it turns out that he had only paid for his green slip, forgetting to pay the actual rego.

Has anyone had experience with applying for leniency in these cases. A copy of the letter used would be great.
Cheers
Steve
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Non-payment of rego; getting out of the fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Hi,
as the title suggests, I have a mate who has recently copped a fine for non-payment of rego.
He was picked up by number plate recognition. A long story, but it turns out that he had only paid for his green slip, forgetting to pay the actual rego.

Has anyone had experience with applying for leniency in these cases. A copy of the letter used would be great.
Cheers
Steve
A letter is worthwhile, along with evidence of the paid green slip (if your intent was to drive without rego, why would you get a green slip). If he has no history of fines non-payment, it's certainly worth a shot.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What state? A mate of mine did a similar thing in NSW, and he was told too bad - pay the fine (which is much more than the cost of the rego). Good luck with that one....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
What state? and he was told too bad - pay the fine (which is much more than the cost of the rego).
Yep, it's usually 2 fines. No rego and no 3rd party. (as the 3rd party insurance isn't valid if the car isn't registered)
Old 01-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Yep, it's usually 2 fines. No rego and no 3rd party. (as the 3rd party insurance isn't valid if the car isn't registered)
I think it's actually three, with two of them discretionary (which were waived at the time of infringement).
Yes it is NSW.

Another piece of "supporting evidence" he has, is an automated reminder, which he received AFTER the fine.

The fine, as mentioned, IS more than the rego. Around $600, so worth fighting.

I have left my old rego labels on the car, to serve as a reminder. His car has never had a label.
Moondust silver
Frozen white

Previous
1995 Camry 2.2, white
Old 01-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure the reminder will help, I always got 2 or 3 text message reminders and a letter in the mail before rego and I know they send a text after it is due if you have not paid. So if you mate got a reminder after he got the fine he most certainly had a few before too.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

last weekend i was cought out, i thought my rego expired on the 28th, i had the pink slip and was going to pay the greenslip when i got back to work
anyway on the 26th i was 2 hours from home and i got an email saying my rego was due today, i rang to get a greenslip but couldn't due to the public holidays so i had to drive home unregistered, i didn't get pulled up but i was freaking out, i would have plead my case to the cop but its their decision if they book me or not.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #8
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

No Excuse, you're Captain of the ship and you should know when things are due
Old 01-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I don't know how successful he'll be but it never hurts to ask.

I got followed into my driveway a few years back driving an out of rego car simply because I forgot.

The kind Police Officer told me not to drive it again until the rego was paid and left it at that.

Sometimes the Car God's do smile on you.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

It sux, the system has been rigged with the onus on the owner, just another way govco extracting more money out of the public.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
It sux, the system has been rigged with the onus on the owner, just another way govco extracting more money out of the public.
you receive a rego renewal notice prior plus a green slip renewal notice from your insurer too

it's hardly rigged and unfair
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #12
Patty

Last September I received a work car (Not my responsibility to pay rego as our accounts department do that) and VICroads don't send out rego stickers anymore so I didn't know when the rego was due.
In December I go to fill up with petrol at a new BP station (equipped with numberplate reading tech) and the BP guy turned my pump off and announced over the PA system for me to come to the counter. I did so and he told me that my car was scanned and I'm not registered. He told me he wouldn't call the cops (although company policy is that he should) and let me prepay $20 of fuel. I left the station, turned into a service lane, went online to VICROADS, paid $30 or whatever it was to get a 24hr temp registration (which allows you to only drive to vicroads, a mechanic or home) and then drove back to work. I blasted our accounts department as they let it lapse for over 3 months!!! If I had a crash, not only would the damage not be covered, but any injuries to my family or others wouldn't be covered either. You have to be so careful with this stuff.

In terms of your mates issue, I feel bad for him, but the right thing to do would be suck it up and pay. He is responsible and can't blame anyone else (I know he is not). I can't see the courts being lenient on this one. They would hear that excuse all the time.
Patty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
Last September I received a work car (Not my responsibility to pay rego as our accounts department do that) and VICroads don't send out rego stickers anymore so I didn't know when the rego was due.
In December I go to fill up with petrol at a new BP station (equipped with numberplate reading tech) and the BP guy turned my pump off and announced over the PA system for me to come to the counter. I did so and he told me that my car was scanned and I'm not registered. He told me he wouldn't call the cops (although company policy is that he should) and let me prepay $20 of fuel. I left the station, turned into a service lane, went online to VICROADS, paid $30 or whatever it was to get a 24hr temp registration (which allows you to only drive to vicroads, a mechanic or home) and then drove back to work. I blasted our accounts department as they let it lapse for over 3 months!!! If I had a crash, not only would the damage not be covered, but any injuries to my family or others wouldn't be covered either. You have to be so careful with this stuff.
Whilst I feel for your inconvenience, since when did the RMS/Police outsource their job to console operators.

I'd also be concerned what other information they have access too.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #14
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be guessing the petrol stations are trying to combat non-payers using stolen plates.
You're right 'though, what are the privacy implications of having third parties handling this data???
Moondust silver
Frozen white

Previous
1995 Camry 2.2, white
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can punch in a rego into any of the State's websites and it will tell you whether the car is rego'd or stolen.

So I imagine the service station is running software linked to the various road authorities.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #16
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 years in a row I had to chase the fleet company to ensure my rego was paid on time. One occasion I made them courier the label out on a same day courier, as I was going on holidays.

The last time it happened was 2014 (no labels in NSW by then). I checked the app, and it wasn't paid - it was due that day. I rang the fleet company & ripped them. Turns out they deliberately leave regos to only a day or 2 before they are due - for cashflow - but the girl who was doing them was off sick.....

A workmate was in a similar situation - same fleet. He was pulled over in Dubbo unreg'd on a Friday - 2 weeks overdue. The fleet company hadn't paid it, and to top it off, they'd all gone home for the weekend... He got the XPT back to Sydney & told them to get a tilt tray to pick it up.

He took it to court, and the judge upheld the fine, saying that he should have checked it himself.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #17
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Qld has an App as well...still a bit annoying but you can check mates car work car etc...
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #18
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post

He took it to court, and the judge upheld the fine, saying that he should have checked it himself.
Unfortunately that is the simple fact. it is up to the driver to know if the vehicle is registered, which is easily checked.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #19
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
I'd be guessing the petrol stations are trying to combat non-payers using stolen plates.
You're right 'though, what are the privacy implications of having third parties handling this data???
It really is not a concern as all they have is your Rego plate number and the make/model of vehicle. So if a car turns up they can tell if to let them fill up or not. Personally, I see nothing wrong with pre paying via card.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
Unfortunately that is the simple fact. it is up to the driver to know if the vehicle is registered, which is easily checked.
Yes, simple to check but unfair.

Perhaps a 5 digit fine to any company that allows its workers to unknowingly drive an unregistered car will reduce the 'cashflow' and 'was sick that day' excuses...

Or, enforce that company cars MUST retain their stickers (for a fee, of course).

They must be bloody raking it in now that the stickers are gone....

Save 50c per rego to not make the sticker, make thousands on the poor buggers that get fined when it lapses.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #21
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Save 50c per rego to not make the sticker, make thousands on the poor buggers that get fined when it lapses.
Considering the proliferation in HWP cars sitting on the side of the road doing nothing but running their number plate recognition systems, you're probably on the money.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #22
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Yep. Don't go to court expecting anything approaching logic, common sense or fairness.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #23
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Yes definitely unfair that you should be responsible for registration of your own car, surly it must be someone else's responsibility to look after your affairs....

I don't call it extracting money, it's just a 'stupid' tax I guess...

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2016, 01:35 AM   #24
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Yep. Don't go to court expecting anything approaching logic, common sense or fairness.
Exactly right.

Prior to going, he sought legal advice, and they suggested getting statements from other fleet drivers to say they had to chase the fleet company to remind them to rego their own cars. I gave him my history, and so did others, but he pulled out of that idea, realising the judge may see that as warning signs that he should have been more vigilant anyway.

He thought he may have a chance by pushing the point that a fully maintained fleet car should be just that. He even said in his opening address had it beeen his own car with rego papers sent to his home, and he'd simply forgotten to pay the rego, he'd wear it 100%, but being a fully maintained fleet car, he doesn't see the rego papers at all, so has no warning.

So I think if you're a private individual, and the car is in your name, you stand even less chance of leniency.

My brother in law got done in his work ute too. His wife forgot to pay it (she did the books for the company). It was a $560 or so fine - less than for an individual. Not sure why the difference though. Based on my workmates lack of luck, he didn't even bother going to court - he simply paid the fine (ironically he's now going through a divorce too!)

But having no labels is making things real hard when it comes to fleet cars, and even hiring rentals. We had a couple of cars transferred up to NSW from VIC over Xmas. I made sure I used the vicroads app to check the one I was going to use for a day. I would also check any rental I get interstate now, that doesn't have a label, just in case. You can never be too careful.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 02:11 AM   #25
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
No Excuse, you're Captain of the ship and you should know when things are due
I doubt Captain Kirk bothered himself with when the Rego was due on the Enterprise..

Old 03-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #26
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I don't agree with this. A sticker isn't needed to tell you when to pay your rego.

Do people need stickers on their light switches to remind them to pay an electricity bill?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Rego checks:
NSW - https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/trans...istory-vehicle
ACT - http://www.rego.act.gov.au/payments-...ration-details
VIC - https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...e-registration
Qld - https://www.service.transport.qld.go...l?windowId=7e3
SA - https://www.ecom.transport.sa.gov.au...nExpiryDate.do
NT - http://www.transport.nt.gov.au/mvr/rego-check
Tas - https://www.transport.tas.gov.au/MRS...tionLookup.jsf
WA - https://online.transport.wa.gov.au/w...6!-842380707?0
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #28
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If i got fined in a work vehicle for no rego you can be sure I d be making work pay for it.
Either that or id take the equivalent value in toilet paper...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #29
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's stupid not to have a rego label on a car, how does one know that it has rego if I have to drive it, a mechanic who has to drive others cars and all is up s creek if something happened.

Cops out of range with the system can not track down if a car is rego or not as well.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I don't agree with this. A sticker isn't needed to tell you when to pay your rego.

Do people need stickers on their light switches to remind them to pay an electricity bill?
Chalk and bloody cheese. Really?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: