Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
bestracing

Default ST170 Parts

Has anyone found it difficult to buy parts for a ST170?

In particular getrag gearbox parts?

Currently I can't buy bearings, no equivalents available as Ford have made them an odd size. The only solution Ford Australia has is to buy a new gearbox, which is a costly venture....$8000 plus..

Help?
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
lincoln
Blinded

The Getrag is a non-serviceable gearbox. It's not meant to be opened. What are you doing gearbox work for?

If it helps, the Mini Cooper S runs the same Getrag gearbox as the ST. Not sure if runs the same dual final ratio setup or not.

Edit, just noticed you're nick. Guess that means you're racing. Check out the US Focus forums and the www.mini2.com to see what parts are available for that Getrag box.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
bestracing

thanks lincoln,

Yes we are racing the focus, in the Australian Production Car Championships which commences this weekend at Wakefield, guess we will miss the first round. We ran last year and started 1/2 way through the season to finish 3rd in the championship.

We are doing gearbox work as we have a noisy input shaft bearing, which seems to be a common fault of the st170 if American forums are anything to go by. Note the car has done less than 2000km of which a 1000km where road km (running in). It seems it is a common problem with the st170 unavailability of parts. For example try buying a set of pistons for st170 which are different to the normal focus and mondeo.
It's a shame in Australia I can't buy parts for such a great car!
Old 21-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Welcome to the forums, good to see you have found the forums!

Have a number of people following your racing in our club!

Enjoy the forums and hope you find them helpful, I think you'll find alot of support for your team here.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 12:26 AM   #5
lincoln
Blinded

Ah cool. I've been following your progress in the ST Good work!
Old 26-02-2005, 12:59 AM   #6
lincoln
Blinded

Just curious, did you fit a Quiafe ATB LSD to the ST? Details?
Old 26-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestracing
Has anyone found it difficult to buy parts for a ST170?

In particular getrag gearbox parts?

Currently I can't buy bearings, no equivalents available as Ford have made them an odd size. The only solution Ford Australia has is to buy a new gearbox, which is a costly venture....$8000 plus..

Help?
I'd be suprised if you can't get bearings thru bearing manufacturing / engineering type shops, I used to live next to one in Wagga NSW years ago, they could get you any bearing, any size, and if they didn't, they'd make it.

Tim
Old 26-02-2005, 04:04 PM   #8
bestracing

Default Re: Quaife diff & bearings

Yes we have fitted a Quaife diff, it was easy to fit, it works good but not as good as a plate type LSD for motor racing.

The bearings that are the problem, are the 3 bearings on the input side of the gearbox and the 6 bearings in the clusters. The bearings that you can purchase are the diff bearings not the others, so far we have not been able to come up with any equivalents as the inner and outer sizes are made specificably different.

If you have any suggestions or contacts let us know.
As we dont want to miss the 2nd round of the championship in April as we have today!

Best Racing
Old 26-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

mmm quaife... does it make a mssive difference on the road?
Old 26-02-2005, 05:53 PM   #10
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestracing
The bearings that are the problem, are the 3 bearings on the input side of the gearbox and the 6 bearings in the clusters. The bearings that you can purchase are the diff bearings not the others, so far we have not been able to come up with any equivalents as the inner and outer sizes are made specificably different.

If you have any suggestions or contacts let us know.
As we dont want to miss the 2nd round of the championship in April as we have today!

Best Racing
I suggest removing the bearing, taking them to an engineering firm, such as the bearing manufacturer I used to live near in Wagga NSW, although try one local to you, and get them to see if a) they don't already make some that Ford don't source, or b) get them to make some for you.

That's the way we have had to do things before at work.

Tim
Old 27-02-2005, 06:44 PM   #11
lincoln
Blinded

I had an ATB LSD in my GTi6, made a huge difference when driving hard on the road or track.

So I know you need new diff bearings, they were relatively simple to acquire? Sounds like it'd take around a day of work to fit one. That's what I'm haring anyway...