Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 10:54 PM   #1141
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Something positive that happened in this social ban, I logged onto an old online game I used to play in high school 15 years ago.

A mate from high school who I lost contact with years ago was also on and quickly messaged asking if it was me, it certainly is!

We're going to catch up post COVID-19 dramas for a pub meal and some drinks.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #1142
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Ive banned the news in my house this week, its amazing how much better you and your family feel when not bombarded with sensationalist crap all the time. I highly recomend it.
Mum lives inside and basically her world is the garden, the local bunnings and home improvement youtube on the smart TV - she doesn't watch any news so she's pretty much isolated from world events currently going on.

She wouldn't believe me when I told her she couldn't go on trips outside of home unless its essential.

She's only just figured out today that we can only either:

A) Go to work
B) Go outside for exercise
C) Go out for medical appointments
D) Go out food shopping

Then again today she was still suspect on the whole isolation thing and asked again
3 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #1143
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Ive banned the news in my house this week, its amazing how much better you and your family feel when not bombarded with sensationalist crap all the time. I highly recomend it.
Yeah I've tried to stay up with it but seems to cause more stress.......
This user likes this post:
Old 05-04-2020, 02:18 AM   #1144
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Well you've highlighted you have no idea how a virus works and also have no idea of the reasons behind the restrictions.

It's not about you, or the individual. It's about everyone else.

As for how legal it is, you missed where I said 'potential'.
Au contraire chap. It's a virus, not a disease. There's a difference. A virus comes and goes, a disease can last a lifetime. You're right, it's not about me, it is about everyone else. Everyone else who is susceptible to complications should do the right thing (we're all in this together apparently) and isolate. The sick, infirm and elderly should have the support required to avoid contact with the rest of society. The government has handled this back to front, while accepting no responsibility, under the guise of the advice of medical experts.

An interesting article below, apparently one of the most read today.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/inq...c5f51346c92051
Old 05-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #1145
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
My mate (He's Melb I'm Hobart) lost his best friend last night.

Suicide.

Just support each other.
Yep , true.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:06 AM   #1146
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Always try to buy Aussie as much as is possible. I always buy Canberra milk every week.
Geeze, those Canberra milk TV adds were the pits, even worse than Kiewa Milk.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #1147
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the bright side how is this virus and the closures affecting chronic pokie gamblers and pub dwelling alcoholics?
Perhaps some may find more in their bank accounts due to their inability to physically play pokies.
Yes some may turn to online gambling but many won't.
And of course alcos may just drink at home but i suspect many used to mask their addiction by the fact they were drinking with others.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:14 AM   #1148
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Whose looking forward to discount cruise holidays when this is all over?
My ol man will be going nuts by now, practically lives aboard "Holland America Lines."

Old 05-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #1149
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Au contraire chap. It's a virus, not a disease. There's a difference. A virus comes and goes, a disease can last a lifetime. You're right, it's not about me, it is about everyone else. Everyone else who is susceptible to complications should do the right thing (we're all in this together apparently) and isolate. The sick, infirm and elderly should have the support required to avoid contact with the rest of society. The government has handled this back to front, while accepting no responsibility, under the guise of the advice of medical experts.

Brace yourself cob. The worse is yet to come.

Australia still have 899,970 deaths to go. Well, 900k fatalities was the figure from experts and media last week.

More scaremongering than the 24/7 climate change propaganda machine.

Your link needs a subscription BTW.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #1150
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Excess vitamins will not help you. If you think they will then I have a bridge for sale.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #1151
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Brace yourself cob. The worse is yet to come.

Australia still have 899,970 deaths to go. Well, 900k fatalities was the figure from experts and media last week.

More scaremongering than the 24/7 climate change propaganda machine.

Your link needs a subscription BTW.
Remember back in August 2009 when the WHO predicted 2 billion people would be affected by H1N1? As it turned out they were only wrong by 90%.

It's becoming more and more obvious the modelling is wrong, government being fed lies and misinformation from the 'experts'.

Article below.

The Weekend Australian

National coronavirus hysteria will lead to disproportionate suffering.

STEVE WATERSON

I thought of my father, terminally ill with pulmonary fibrosis, when I heard of another victim of coronavirus this week.

He’s confined to his house, alone since my mother died four years ago. He relies on family and friends to shop for him; they wave through the window and leave him food on the doorstep.

I spoke to him as news came in of a 90-odd-year-old woman dying in a nursing home. He’s sick of the isolation and doesn’t want the time left to him to be spent in solitary confinement. His first great-grandchild was born six months ago and he fears he will never see the boy again.

“Look, son, I’m 88 in August,” he said, cheerfully. “I’ve had a good run. Whatever happens to me from now on, it’s not a f..king national tragedy.”

My father’s attitude is, he believes, not uncommon among his contemporaries, who understand the tough reality of old age. As he put it, with his winning sarcasm, “These people in nursing homes aren’t exactly snatched away in the prime of their lives, are they? Half of them don’t know they’re there, don’t even recognise their children when they visit.”

It’s brutal, but I’m sure he’s right. If you’re in an aged-care facility you’re not waiting to be discharged and sent home in a few weeks. You’re on your way out, and the exit’s probably not that far away. Coronavirus is speeding up the process, and it must feel overwhelming to the medical staff on the frontline. Which is precisely why they shouldn’t be making the decisions.

The health of a nation is not the sum of the health of its citizens. We require doctors and nurses to focus on their patients, but politicians need to take a broader view of the myriad components of a functioning, worthwhile society.

Sarcasm aside, when did life move from being precious to priceless? We lost 20 people to the disease in March. In the same month we lost another 13,000 or so to other ailments and accidents, but let’s not worry about them.

As more facts emerge about the virus, it looks as though it does most harm to the chronically sick or the elderly, as do most respiratory diseases. And when old age is combined with a pre-existing serious illness, you’re in real danger. So the high-risk group would be wise to take all precautions, withdraw from society if they wish, and resurface when there’s a vaccine. We could devote enormous resources to looking after them.

Instead, we are asking the healthy, most of whom will be no more than inconvenienced by this latest strain of flu, to sacrifice or cripple themselves, their livelihoods, their children’s future, to preserve people whose own future is already precarious and limited. Has anyone checked with the elderly, who tend to have a more sanguine outlook, to see if this eco*nomic suicide is what they want?

As individuals it’s excruciating to assign a value to human life, and happily few of us are obliged to do so; but as a society we make those calculations all the time. Our highway speed limit is 110km/h; we could reduce that to 20km/h and watch the fatalities tumble, but the inconvenience would be intolerable. We let people swim and surf (at least we used to) from wild, unpatrolled beaches, and sadly accept some of them will drown, measuring the pleasure of millions against the misfortune of a few.

We are always managing risk, but suddenly in this panic no risk, to anyone, is acceptable.

Even news organisations have adopted this position, their HR departments issuing earnest communiques that declare “the health and wellbeing of our employees is our paramount priority”. Sorry, since when? As part of my job I have been sent, and sent others, to war zones — yes, with bombs and bullets — to bring our readers the news. That’s what I thought our priority was as journalists. Now half my colleagues in the media have emerged as trembling amateur epidemiologists, scouring the online world to find the youngest and healthiest victim to ramp up the terror and prove this disease attacks anyone, not just the old and sick, when that’s manifestly not the case.

As Carl Heneghan, professor of evidence-based medicine at the University of Oxford, said last week, “people with no comorbidities can relax; you may feel funny but the mortality is incredibly low. The wider question is how we best manage people with comorbidities and keep them safe and out of hospital.” So far our leaders’ answer is to paralyse the country and the prospects of everyone in it.

In Sweden, never thought of as a nation of daredevils (they’re so safe they gave us ABBA and Volvos), the vulnerable are sequestered and cared for. They might have to sit things out until a vaccine is developed, while the rest of the people are visiting restaurants and bars, more or less as usual. So far it seems to be working.

No such luck here, though. Our reckless, hysterical governments tumble over each other to impose ever more ridiculous constraints on our liberty, supported by police forces that interpret their authority in a fashion sinister and absurd at the same time. And they have the audacity to quote “the Anzac spirit” as they order fit young men to cower in their trenches.

Some of us are not surprised that our elected leaders and their unelected enforcers have been found wanting, but what really shakes your faith in society is how meekly their ludicrous commands have been obeyed. Did anyone real*ly think more than 500 people at Sydney’s Bondi Beach represent a threat? And if so, why the same 500 limit around the corner at Tamarama’s beach, a fraction of the size? And why a zero limit now? Why can’t a solo sunbaker lie on the grass in a park without a police car moving him on? Why can’t a boat owner take a run up the coast? Why can I only buy “essential” goods? Will PC Plod soon be inspecting my shopping bags for truffles and Toblerone?

Save your comments; I know there will be plenty of people rushing to justify any extreme measure that “saves someone’s life”. The curtain-twitchers are busy in Britain, dobbing in neighbours who leave their houses twice a day or have their girlfriend over. They’ve adapted to their police state very comfortably. Fortunate, perhaps, that Churchill’s World War II promise that “we will fight them on the beaches” was never tested.

The driver of this madness is that the data we are working with, as has been pointed out by many epidemiologists, is fundamentally flawed. If we don’t know how many people have been infected, we don’t know the mortality rate. One of our panic-stricken pollies was on the radio on Monday warning people that even if they felt fine, they could be walking around spreading the disease. A disease with no symptoms that doesn’t make you ill? Terrifying.

But those symptom-free people will never be counted, just as all the people who have avoided burdening the hospital system with their minor coughs and sore throats will never be counted, so the mortality rate is inflated. So too in Italy and Spain, where everyone who dies with the disease is recorded as dying from it, no matter whether they have been wiping their feet on death’s doormat for months.

You don’t need to be good at maths or medically trained to realise all these numbers are wickedly inaccurate. If the infection can manifest itself with mild symptoms or none, how on earth can we declare how many are infected? How many run-of-the-mill flu infections go uncounted each year? I’ve never been sufficiently troubled by a cold or flu to go to the doctor, so I’ve never featured in any statistics. Perhaps I’m freakishly lucky, but I doubt it.

Instead we have a simple division sum, but one where the denominator may be out by a factor of a hundred, or a thousand. If one in every 12 people infected dies, that’s a nightmare. One in every 1200, with 99 per cent of them already gravely ill and of advanced age, it’s not so frightening. And are the millions thrown out of work a price worth paying?

John Ioannidis, professor of medicine and epidemiology at Stanford University in the US, believes if we hadn’t counted and tested this new COVID-19 separately from ordinary colds and flu (and the scary sci-fi name doesn’t help), “we might have casually noted that flu this season seems to be a bit worse than average”.

He may be wrong, but what is certain is that for many of our fellow citizens, this will be the year everything they’ve worked so hard for — their businesses, their savings, their jobs and dignity, their marriages, their sanity, their hopes and dreams and joy — evaporated.

One day we’ll emerge blinking into the economic wasteland we have wilfully created, but next year winter will come around again, and with it more flu, no doubt with another horror mutation.

So what will we do then? You can only kill yourself once.
6 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #1152
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Excess vitamins will not help you. If you think they will then I have a bridge for sale.
You can stick to Rockefeller based medicine, I'll give natural treatment a go. We've survived as a human race since the beginning of time with viruses around, I'll take my chances. Good luck to you chap nevertheless.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #1153
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.facebook.com/joshua.feue...4430271754534/
Old 05-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #1154
prydey
Rob

Quote:
You can stick to Rockefeller based medicine, I'll give natural treatment a go. We've survived as a human race since the beginning of time with viruses around, I'll take my chances. Good luck to you chap nevertheless.
vitamins are good for you. i agree. however i said 'excess' vitamins will offer no benefit. the body only uses what it needs. The rest will just end up as expensive urine, or just a waste of money.

However, they won't prevent you getting the virus. They won't prevent you spreading the virus.

As for the survival rate, you might want to research how many die when there is no vaccine and no attempt to reduce community transmission.

If you want to listen to the non 'official' so called experts and their modelling on main stream media and social media, then that's on you but the govt have been pretty good in keeping people updated with the facts. To my knowledge they aren't the ones with the scaremongering 'what if' scenarios and modelling.

So while you may feel healthy and fine and think its not going to bother you, it may bother those you come in contact with. While statistically it appears to affect one age group more than others, that doesn't mean younger healthier people aren't dying from it. Just because they haven't yet in australia doesn't mean they won't. Perhaps that is just credit to the govt measures in place. Vulnerable people are not just old people or 'sick and infirmed' people either.

Its easy to look at the numbers and think 'oh, its not that bad,more people die from....' but it ignores the measures implemented to prevent it being worse.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #1155
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
On the bright side how is this virus and the closures affecting chronic pokie gamblers and pub dwelling alcoholics?
Perhaps some may find more in their bank accounts due to their inability to physically play pokies.
Yes some may turn to online gambling but many won't.
And of course alcos may just drink at home but i suspect many used to mask their addiction by the fact they were drinking with others.
Its not effecting Crown Casino too badly because they seem to be the hotel of choice for quarantining people on behalf of the government

People are whinging about being quarantined in the 5 star Crown Towers hotel complex

There's worse things than being stuck in one of the best hotels in Melbourne for 2 weeks and being fed by their chefs

TV, free wifi, you're in Southbank just below Melbourne CBD so you can go for your daily 'exercise' along the Yarra River etc.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #1156
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Been doing that since it started. Max on any if we do watch any is about 10 mins Max. then tv off and chillin' music and beers on.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #1157
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Its not effecting Crown Casino too badly because they seem to be the hotel of choice for quarantining people on behalf of the government

People are whinging about being quarantined in the 5 star Crown Towers hotel complex

There's worse things than being stuck in one of the best hotels in Melbourne for 2 weeks and being fed by their chefs

TV, free wifi, you're in Southbank just below Melbourne CBD so you can go for your daily 'exercise' along the Yarra River etc.
Methinks “quarantined” would mean you are confined to your room? So no walkies along the Yarra etc?
5 star or not, you’d go stir crazy after a couple of days locked in
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #1158
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Methinks “quarantined” would mean you are confined to your room? So no walkies along the Yarra etc?
Amateurs - they used to do lock-ins overnight at a local internet cafe when I was a wee woglet

Buy a PS4 online, get it and some AAA titles delivered to your hotel room and smash em all out 24/7 over the next 14 days

There's a solid 60 hours each in GTA V and RDR2, that's a few days done already, get lost in a world of video games and YouTube.

Plenty of things to entertain yourself with in the digital world.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #1159
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’d want to be locked in a large workshop, with Mediterranean/Middle Eastern cuisine poked through the letterbox slot. Two weeks rebuilding drivelines would be a good way to sharpen my chops.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #1160
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Well, I'm about to purchase Netflix on the ps4 seeing as there's nothing good on tv. News, fishing/4wd/holiday shows and endless repeats . And this new channel? More ****ing repeats!
Old 05-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #1161
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Well, I'm about to purchase Netflix on the ps4 seeing as there's nothing good on tv. News, fishing/4wd/holiday shows and endless repeats . And this new channel? More ****ing repeats!
Digital NASCAR with commentating

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-04-2020 at 12:19 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #1162
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Correct. You're not allowed to leave your room. Not sure where some people are getting the idea that you are allowed to go for your daily exercise along the river??

Most of the returning travellers have been ok with it, and have said that they understand. Even young families are ok with it. It's just the old "European Australians" couples (didn't want to use the "W" word) who seem to be complaining the most. They are on the picture box saying things like 'wee arr hooman beans, wee arr notta aminals', or 'tha food issa weery bad, isa veery discusting, veery bad.' etc.

When you take in to consideration almost all of the deaths in Australia are a result of returning travellers, from one ship in particular (10 deaths from the Ruby Princess), surely you've got to understand why they have been asked to isolate at a hotel, and not at their homes. They weren't sent to a refugee camp like the early returnees were. F**king whingers!
Old 05-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #1163
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

On the subject of the Ruby Princess, hasn't that been a massive debacle (being nice) for NSW and Australia!! What a absolute cock up.

Latest news saying that the ship had lied about their Covid-19 status, saying they had no cases on board. And then NSW Heath / Border Force letting them all off without even a single precautionary body temperature check!??
Old 05-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #1164
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The alternative was Christmas Island or maybe chuck em on some farm in remote WA somewhere in tents surrounded by farm fencing and give em all 14x CR1M ration packs courtesy of the ADF and let em work it out

Maybe equip em all with GoPro's and we can monetise this.

'Character building'
Old 05-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #1165
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
On the subject of the Ruby Princess, hasn't that been a massive debacle (being nice) for NSW and Australia!! What a absolute cock up.

Latest news saying that the ship had lied about their Covid-19 status, saying they had no cases on board. And then NSW heath / Boarder Force letting them all off without even a single body temperature check!??
When I went to NZ in 2011 on the Dawn Princess I just about got my prostate massaged every time getting off and on the ship because I had steel capped boots so I kept making the metal detector have a meltdown, so they kept insisting on multiple tries and then the wand.

Got the black plague MKII? No worries good sir please come right through! Just be careful of that bastard with the steel capped boots, he's due for a date with my index finger and his prostate.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #1166
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Since you've just got Netflix, make sure you watch this:

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/810...entIntent=true

It's about the failed Fyre Festival, it's strangely similar to COVID-19 quarantining.

Three in a row

Everyone went nuts and started hoarding

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-04-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #1167
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

NSW Health Minister living up to his name. Bad Hazard!!

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...virus-outbreak
Old 05-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #1168
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
vitamins are good for you. i agree. however i said 'excess' vitamins will offer no benefit. the body only uses what it needs. The rest will just end up as expensive urine, or just a waste of money.

However, they won't prevent you getting the virus. They won't prevent you spreading the virus.

As for the survival rate, you might want to research how many die when there is no vaccine and no attempt to reduce community transmission.

If you want to listen to the non 'official' so called experts and their modelling on main stream media and social media, then that's on you but the govt have been pretty good in keeping people updated with the facts. To my knowledge they aren't the ones with the scaremongering 'what if' scenarios and modelling.

So while you may feel healthy and fine and think its not going to bother you, it may bother those you come in contact with. While statistically it appears to affect one age group more than others, that doesn't mean younger healthier people aren't dying from it. Just because they haven't yet in australia doesn't mean they won't. Perhaps that is just credit to the govt measures in place. Vulnerable people are not just old people or 'sick and infirmed' people either.

Its easy to look at the numbers and think 'oh, its not that bad,more people die from....' but it ignores the measures implemented to prevent it being worse.
I never said I won't contract CV-19, that's impossible, everyone will eventually get it, no matter that social distancing policies the government puts in place. I'm not concerned about getting it and will deal with it in a manner that I'm happy with. Having had pneumonia twice in the past which required hospitalisation, it's the last place I'd want to end up, unless I'm prepared to die.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #1169
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
NSW Health Minister living up to his name. Bad Hazard!!

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...virus-outbreak
Sack Hazzard and everyone involved in this debacle. Typical government and bureaucratic incompetence.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #1170
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When I went to NZ in 2011 on the Dawn Princess I just about got my prostate massaged every time getting off and on the ship because I had steel capped boots so I kept making the metal detector have a meltdown, so they kept insisting on multiple tries and then the wand.

Got the black plague MKII? No worries good sir please come right through! Just be careful of that bastard with the steel capped boots, he's due for a date with my index finger and his prostate.
Geez Franco, not often you hear went on a cruise and steel capped boots mentioned in the same sentence, what were you expecting to find in NZ.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread