Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Cam
Stroking it...

Question Legal Advice Needed..

Greetings,

Hoping some of the informed members around here might be able to help me out.

Last week I reversed into a motobike in a PRIVATE carpark at work. The bike was parked behind a carpark (that i was parked in), in the middle of a footpath, that runs paralell to a building. (does that make sense?)
My car was not reversed the whole way up to the "concrete block" so i was still well within my park. According to witnesses (and vid footage) i reversed into the bike, the tow ball tapped the bike and it fell over.

Now i had the wagon full of boxes and crap and with the radio and etc what not on i honestly didn't hear anything and i couldn't see the bike out my back window (i checked when i left in the afternoon), I got out of the car and walked in the opposite direction to my work so at the time was none the wiser, Until he confronted me after work and showed me ALOT of damage.

Now the owener of the bike works at a construction site next door to work. There are (and i have pics) 6 signs that state *NO CONSTRUCTION WORKER PARKING**. The closest some 3m from where his bike was

My Question is how liable am I considering he was parked on a footpath, while theoretically parked illegally on private property?

Thanks in advance!

Cam

Old 27-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

its private grounds,
its a cival matter that will need to be worked out individually.
he may make a claim against your insurance.

but if he was parked in an unsutible area the damage is on him...
same as a person who parked their JAG in an area laled NO PARKING CONSTRUCTION ZONE
had their car flattend by a block of cement that fell... people moving the cement had no troubles as he was illegally parked
Old 27-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you reversed into him you are in the wrong end of story the law is quite clear on that. if the car park is open to the public ( customers ) it (in NSW ) is classed as a "road related area " and the road rulus and liabilities apply, if you get into a car in a car park drunk and only move the car to another spot in the same carpark you can get done for drink driving in a "road related area" . i don't know what state you are in but i would assume that simmilar provisions apply. sorry but you'll probably have to cough up

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 27-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You backed into it, be a man, suck it up and pay up
Old 27-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
BionicSix
Internet Hero- Call Me

Too bad if it was a small child on the footpath. You admitted that you failed to look, having a car load of goods is a very poor excuse for your failure to control the vehicle. You are stating that the footpath is close enough to the parking spot that your car went over the footpath. WTF? I am glad I wasn't a pedestrian walking on that footpath with you parking.

Did you think that the motorcycle parked on the footpath to get away from poor drivers like you.

You as a driver has sole responsability over the movements of your vehicle. If that means getting out to check to see if there is adequate room if you have to.

Then you admit that you left the scene in total ignorance of your actions. Too bad if it was a person lying there in pain.

So you think that because maybe he was parked where you seem to think he shouldn't have been that it is all his fault. Well guess what, it is yours.

As much as I love my Ford, I am a Motorcyclist first. And yes, I do park on the footpath as well when ever I can, because I have had my bike knocked over by idiotic car drivers like you. One time with me standing right next to it.

Next time LOOK !!

PS- be responsible for your actions and do the right thing. Stop crying like a child and getting on the internet to get "legal advice". TOOL
Old 27-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicSix
Too bad if it was a small child on the footpath. You admitted that you failed to look, having a car load of goods is a very poor excuse for your failure to control the vehicle. You are stating that the footpath is close enough to the parking spot that your car went over the footpath. WTF? I am glad I wasn't a pedestrian walking on that footpath with you parking.

Did you think that the motorcycle parked on the footpath to get away from poor drivers like you.

You as a driver has sole responsability over the movements of your vehicle. If that means getting out to check to see if there is adequate room if you have to.

Then you admit that you left the scene in total ignorance of your actions. Too bad if it was a person lying there in pain.

So you think that because maybe he was parked where you seem to think he shouldn't have been that it is all his fault. Well guess what, it is yours.

As much as I love my Ford, I am a Motorcyclist first. And yes, I do park on the footpath as well when ever I can, because I have had my bike knocked over by idiotic car drivers like you. One time with me standing right next to it.

Next time LOOK !!

PS- be responsible for your actions and do the right thing. Stop crying like a child and getting on the internet to get "legal advice". TOOL
You have not added much of value, and given your post count and attitude, I am guessing that will never change!
Old 27-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Double up sorry!
Old 27-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
I wouldn't have said it quite this way, but I agree!
I am a bike rider, and sometimes other can be a little unwary of riders. You failed to ensure your actions were safe, you are culpable, if not legally, certainly morally!

PS. The best legal advise you will ever receive on a Forum is seek Legal advice from a professional!

Mike
Old 27-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
Cam
Stroking it...

Ok, feel free to flame away, i am starting to expect that when anyone asks for "advice"

Regardless, it was 7am in then morning, in a PRIVATE carpark (marked private, not a public one), in an industrial area, there were only a few other cars in the car park, no chance of kids etc etc so yes I should've looked, i back into the park everyday and theres not another car or person around, but anyway..

Without pics I cannot explain the layout of where it all happened, i will however take pics to try and explain my point.

Finally, I was asking for legal advice, someone tell me WHERE in gods name i mentioned that i wasn't going to pay for it. Clearly some people have difficulties reading. But thanks to those who gave advice, appreciated.
Old 27-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #10
BionicSix
Internet Hero- Call Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
You have not added much of value, and given your post count and attitude, I am guessing that will never change!
You are damn right I have attitude.
Why?

I can put myself in the bike riders position.

I bet, being on the construction site, the motorcyclist is not comfortable parking his pride and joy on site, due to equipment being moved around. He doesn't want to park it on the street either. Cars are constantly coming and going and the risk of getting the bike knocked over is high. So he sees a nice "private" car park that looks out of the way, but he doesn't want to take someones car spot. Instead he parks it on the footpath so that it is at least safe. Afterall, cars don't drive on footpaths do they?

But how wrong he was. Instead, along comes our op. A car full of stock, with limited visabilty, the radio up so high he cannot hear anything, who blindly reverses his car so until it "taps" the motorcycle. Now, as you should know being a "bike rider" that it takes alot more than just a tap to knock over a motorcycle. He would have hit the the bike with plenty of force, enough to maim or possibly kill a small child.

Ignorant of his actions, he wanders off to work. After work he was "confronted" by (I can imagine) an angry owner of the motorcycle. After the bike is looked at to see "älot" of damage (see tap for reference) the op jumps into his car a drives off with nothing more than a scratch on his towball.

In the meantime, the motorcyclist is left with a damaged bike that now has to be repaired. It will be off the road and he is left inconvenienced and from the sounds of it out of pocket!!

Can I put myself in the car drivers position - NO!

Oh, and I now have 2 posts. Does this qualify?
The op asked for advice, I gave him some, directed to him.
Why did you MNM96 feel the need to quote me and get involved? Your reply is attitude towards me with nothing to add to the original question. You felt some need to bignote yourself by pointing out the obvious. Well done :
Old 28-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Ok, feel free to flame away, i am starting to expect that when anyone asks for "advice"

Regardless, it was 7am in then morning, in a PRIVATE carpark (marked private, not a public one), in an industrial area, there were only a few other cars in the car park, no chance of kids etc etc so yes I should've looked, i back into the park everyday and theres not another car or person around, but anyway..

Without pics I cannot explain the layout of where it all happened, i will however take pics to try and explain my point.

Finally, I was asking for legal advice, someone tell me WHERE in gods name i mentioned that i wasn't going to pay for it. Clearly some people have difficulties reading. But thanks to those who gave advice, appreciated.
if you planned on paying for it why would you need legal advice :togo:
Old 28-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #12
Nathan&Amanda

why as motorcyclist do you think he/ you have the right to use private property.
espically when it is signed clearly, saying dont do excatly what he is doing.

i have seen bikes fall over quiet easyily, it depends on how it was stood and how hit.

From the description it sounds like the car was parked bum in, say about 2 foot not enough. the bike parked on the walkway side of the concrete block when car went back within his park he hit it.

to me sounds like the biker should go well i took the risk, in parking in a private park, behind a car that was full.

i would be seeing the bill and offering half if that.
Old 28-03-2008, 12:53 AM   #13
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Ok from a legal stand point.

If you are reversing you have the greater duty of care. If you have reversed into another persons property be that vehicle, fence, mail box etc, You are liable for the damages. The fact it was on private property does not matter. You as the driver have the responsibility to practice due care when in charge of a vehicle.

These following things are taken from the QLD TORUM
http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...ntOpRURR99.pdf

Page 21 Deals with your gripe being private property. Under section 13 It is a road related area.
13 What is a road-related area
(1) A road-related area is any of the following—
(a) an area that divides a road;
(b) a footpath or nature strip adjacent to a road;
(c) an area that is not a road and that is open to the public
and designated for use by cyclists or animals;
(d) an area that is not a road and that is open to, or used by,
the public for parking vehicles.

And page 247 Section 296 Deals with reversing:
296 Driving a vehicle in reverse
(1) The driver of a vehicle must not reverse the vehicle unless the
driver can do so safely.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) The driver of a vehicle must not reverse the vehicle further
than is reasonable in the circumstances.

So in short, you are 100% liabale for the damage caused to the bike
P.S. I work in Motor Claims
Old 28-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah you should pay as you through being careless Damaged anothers Bike, if you had payed more attention you would have seen it & not Hit it.I always look all around my vehicle as I am walking towards it to see if is anything I need to take into account when I leave that was not there when I parked etc...

Just a few Days ago I had a careless woman come flying through a U Turn bay & almost hit me, she would have only I was quick to slam the brakes on.

She was in a jacked up Nissan Patrol tray back & had plenty of vision & is meant to give way to oncoming traffic so was all her fault.

I pulled her over & had a few words & her reply was it was an accident & these things happen, which is a cop out because if she would have driven with more care & not reckless it would not have happened full stop!

Now had she hit me & it would have been plenty of damage to my car & not her $5000.00 piece of crap, I would be in the same situation as this Bike rider.

I would have a Damaged vehicle, I would have lost 3 or 4 thousand dollars in value being a smashed & repaired vehicle rather than a undamaged one, I would have had no transport for 3 or 4 months while it was getting repaired & I would have to pay a $500.00 access (maybe).

Now her attitude would have been the same even if she had managed to hit me & she would have a small fine & hardly any damage being a jacked up 4wd vehicle & not worth much to start with.

It should be in a case such as that she pays for all my losses as stated above as well as a hire vehicle while mine is being repaired etc..

Why, because it would only have happened because she was being careless & reckless.

So Pay this Bike owner, Do the right thing! Be an Aussie!
Old 28-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
Yep!

On another note, say you do have a legal standing and are not liable. Do you really want to tell this guy that you're not paying (when YOU are clearly in the wrong), considering he knows where you work, where you park your car, and what your car looks like?!
Old 28-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #16
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with that kind of shithouse attitude BionicSix you won't last here long.

He took the risk of parking somewhere he shouldn't have, and you were careless in reversing into it, sounds like the footpath was one between your office/building and the carpark, no where near the road right?

it was an accident and these things happen, try to sort out something where you pay 50/50, or just front the whole bill, but in reality it was both of your fault, he was (basically) trespassing being parked in private property without permission, and you carelessly reversed into a park even though every other time you park there its fine.
Old 28-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #17
strik9
aka fpv747

i think pay.because you damaged another persons property. and drink enough beers to convince yourself he,s a tool for parking where he should,nt. lol
Old 28-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Yaw sounds like they have the correct advice; I've been out of it for a few years now and the laws and provisions do change which can alter meanings and definitions. I'd suggest that if you are still doubtful you should seek professional counsel; speak to a solicitor to have him give an informed opinion. Most solicitors will tell you in an initial consultation whether or not you have any hope of escaping liability, so at best you'll have to pay for the consulting fee. Remember different laws do apply state to state; I once represented a truck driver whose trailer drove over a car illegally parked and he was being sued by the owner of said car. In the end, the parking in a no standing zone meant that no liability could be found against the truck driver, as the truck drivers duty of care for other motorists cars was negated by this illegal breach of the traffic act. In the end, we set a little bit of a precedent and we made the idiot illegal parker pay costs and for the paint work on the trucks trailer frame. The pursuant or guy in no standing zones insurance did pay though.

As for others that have flamed you, some people have nothing better to do when they have nothing to add. It's a bit like the old saying; "Any moron can pick a fault, only one with intelligence can also find the solution". Anyway I digress, whatever you choose to do good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 28-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #19
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Cam what state are you in?

I understand in Victoria it is legal for bikes to park on the footpath, I know it's not in NSW and I am not sure about other states. I will stand corrected by I know on one bike forum I vacate it is common knowledge.

Also with the "NO CONSTRUCTION WORKER PARKING" Sign, who erected that?

The local council/road dept or the construction site?

My thoughts would be it would only be illegal if the council/roads dept erected it. I know if I put a no parking sign out the front my my house, I cant book people for parking there.

At the end of the day, take a step back and think how you would feel if someone damaged your pride and joy and tried to get out of paying for it. I am sure there would be some very bitter/angry people. I know I would be.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................

Last edited by Mark s; 28-03-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 28-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #20
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Yaw sounds like they have the correct advice; I've been out of it for a few years now and the laws and provisions do change which can alter meanings and definitions. I'd suggest that if you are still doubtful you should seek professional counsel; speak to a solicitor to have him give an informed opinion. Most solicitors will tell you in an initial consultation whether or not you have any hope of escaping liability, so at best you'll have to pay for the consulting fee. Remember different laws do apply state to state; I once represented a truck driver whose trailer drove over a car illegally parked and he was being sued by the owner of said car. In the end, the parking in a no standing zone meant that no liability could be found against the truck driver, as the truck drivers duty of care for other motorists cars was negated by this illegal breach of the traffic act. In the end, we set a little bit of a precedent and we made the idiot illegal parker pay costs and for the paint work on the trucks trailer frame. The pursuant or guy in no standing zones insurance did pay though.
I find this example rather Sickening as no matter where a person is parked the other person, in this case a truck driver should take all due care not to Damage other peoples property as it does not make the vehicle parked illegally invisible to the other Driver.

We have Eyes & a Brain for a reason & the fact that you take pleasure in kicking a guy when he is already down says something to me as well.

So you Won, does not matter the fairness of it all?

Just as long as you win your Case :
Old 28-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #21
EviLkarL
Ausfactor.com

I am a biker of 25 years experience and Ford lover/owner.

I'd say talk to the bloke with the bike in a friendly constructive manner, sure it might come out of your insurance, but maybe you can come to some agreement with the bloke about sharing some responsibility. 60/40, 70/30 I donno.

Obviously you will have an excess to pay, say $800. You might get the guy to admit some blame and get him to pay $200 towards the excess. He's happy, your happy, the mistake was made and all is fixed.

The downside to this iofcourse is if you the bloke off and try wriggling out of paying anything, it could end up getting worse when you find your car a little worse for wear one afternoon. Its all about communication and doing the right thing, legally and morally.
Old 28-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #22
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
As for others that have flamed you, some people have nothing better to do when they have nothing to add. It's a bit like the old saying; "Any moron can pick a fault, only one with intelligence can also find the solution". Anyway I digress, whatever you choose to do good luck with it and let us know how you get on.
i just went through this after parking in a Bus Zone facing the wrong way,totally illegal,bus driver came into stop and hit me then ****ed off without exchanging details,long story short,he hit my car and left scene of accident and was held liable and my car was fixed ,your advice is a bit shaky,
just because sign tells you no standing you say a person can ram another vehicle or run over someone,whos the moron here.mr super intelligence,telling us that a truck driver can negate all responcability on the road if someone makes a mistake.
get real
Old 28-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #23
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
I find this example rather Sickening as no matter where a person is parked the other person, in this case a truck driver should take all due care not to Damage other peoples property as it does not make the vehicle parked illegally invisible to the other Driver.

We have Eyes & a Brain for a reason & the fact that you take pleasure in kicking a guy when he is already down says something to me as well.

So you Won, does not matter the fairness of it all?

Just as long as you win your Case :
There is always one, and in this case it's you.

How can someone become so upset without knowing the details of the case in question? You have made an assumption, and you have made an "***" out of "u" and "mption".
When I was doing that kind of thing I deliberatley took cases that weren't vexatious, and in this case I stood vindicated. The facts were that it was a semi trailer trying to enter a driveway 8 metres wide. As the street in question is rather narrow these trucks use the full driveway to avoid hitting cars, and are often stopped by cars parking in the no parking zone. On this particular day the pursuant parked halfway across the driveway, narrowing access to just under 6 metres. The truck driver in question then proceeded to ask all businesses in the street if they knew who the car belonged to. He waited for over an hour (I saw the run sheet) for this person to return and still to no avail. He then used 4 people from the yard he was trying to get to guide him in. Somewhere along the line, his rear bogie on the left side clipped and then climbed over this car. All witness statements conclude that the driver did his utmost to protect this property, and the magistrate agreed.

I'd respectfully submit that you actually spend a little time talking to truck drivers before frothing at the bit in something you obviously know nothing about.

Quote: