Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Wally
XP Coupe

Default Courier Mail Poll

This been posted already?

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...73-952,00.html

Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

THE argument about which classic Australian car is the nation's favourite has been solved – and the result isn't pretty for Holden fans.

In our exclusive poll to find the best vintage Australian cars, the Ford Falcon GTHO is coming out resoundingly on top.
Of more than 1100 votes, the GTHO has attracted more than 300, or about 29 per cent of the vote, thrashing the Holden Torana A9X, which has 11 per cent of the vote, and the Holden Torana XU1, which has 10 per cent.

The poor old Holden Gemini TX was last with just six votes.

The poll has generated fierce debate among petrol heads, including the cars not included in the much-discussed poll. "What about the EJ Holden, circa 1963?" wrote Laurie Franks from Washington DC.

Have your say

"It wasn't a real pretty car, but at least the design wasn't just a smaller variation on the American Ford, Chevy, or Dodge of the day. It started the movement towards an Aussie design for the Aussie market."

Other Aussie cars nominated as favourites were the Peter Brock Commodores, the BA Falcon GTP, SLR5000, the 1934 Ford Utility, and the L34 Torana.

The debate has predictably been split between passionate Ford and Holden supporters.

"Ford lovers always whinge. If it was 'what is Australia's best taxi' they would be laughin' (sic)," wrote Rusty of Brisbane.

That was quickly retorted by Ford fan Malcolm Farmer in the Philippines. "Is this a Holden event? I have never seen a more biased one-sided affair," he wrote.

"What about the XT GT Falcon, the car that started the Aussie muscle car era, or the best Aussie car ever the GTHO Phase 3?"

Playing the role of revhead sage was reader Morgan of Brisbane, who weighed in with maybe the most neutral observation: "Both Holden and Ford made some good cars and they both made rubbish as well.

"Probably the most innovative car that ever came out of this country was the P76. Pity that some of them accidentally caught fire so that people would be frightened to buy one.

"XY Falcons are over-rated and greatly overpriced. They are nothing more than a family car with a semi-decent motor in them with inadequate brakes and rubbish handling. The only GT Falcon to be whipped by a 6-cylinder as well."

Click through the pictures in our Australia's best cars gallery then vote in our poll to tell us your favourite.
Old 26-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
wados

yeah i voted go the gtho
Old 26-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Good to see it's not biased at all... 9 out of 13 are holden's... : ... Yet they still haven't won the day, even with their multitude of offerings
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Wally
XP Coupe

Yes but that is only going to spread the holden vote, while concentrating the ford vote. I would vote the HO
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

lol

what the hell is the VB Commodore doing in that list?

and why the XB Coupe over the XA/B GT?

HO's for the win
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
lol

what the hell is the VB Commodore doing in that list?

and why the XB Coupe over the XA/B GT?

HO's for the win
Agreed on all points.

I'm wondering why Gemini gets nominated, can't say i have ever heard anyone say it's their dream to buy one and spend 50k restoring it. :
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Agreed on all points.

I'm wondering why Gemini gets nominated, can't say i have ever heard anyone say it's their dream to buy one and spend 50k restoring it. :
I was thinking the exact same thing when i seen the Gem on the list, what a waste of ink.
Not being biased here but naturally you would think the GT would win as everyone knows the car, no matter where you stand in Australian automotive land you know what it is and the status it holds.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #9
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GTHO - Fastest 4 door production car of it's time in the world - enough said
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post