Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Lathe Work Needed

Anyone in the eastern states handy with a lathe? I am wanting some Ø50 x 150mm 6061 bar stock faced, then bored to about 36,5mm plus a couple of bevels for weld fillets. Not in a mad hurry but keen to move forward.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Lathe Work Needed

Hey cb, if you don't get any other responses, a work mate is very handy on the lathe (he makes parts to restore classic racing motorbikes). He may be able to help you out.

My only concern is that the Latrobe Valley is a long way away from where you are and postage may be a bit of a hindrance. But, as I say, all I can do is run it past him to see if he's interested and then leave it up to you guys to sort out something that works for you both.

Sing out if you'd like me to follow it up.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That could be just the ticket. I’ll run until Wednesday fishing for offers closer to Sydney but looking for someone to get stuck in, the item’s going to be pivotal to my work in the next few months.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2021, 10:16 PM   #4
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
That could be just the ticket. I’ll run until Wednesday fishing for offers closer to Sydney but looking for someone to get stuck in, the item’s going to be pivotal to my work in the next few months.
No probs. I'll suss him out tomoz in case you decide to proceed with this option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thanks muchly. Everyone around here is flat-chat with major projects.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #6
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Hey CB, checked in with my mate. No go with him, unfortunately. Soz if I got your hopes up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
slowsnake
Banned

Got lots of mates in Western Sydney, but out of contact since 2011, but this guy may still be opererating, as in not retired, he's one of the best toolmakers I have met, brilliant on the mill or lathe, plus a good honest and decent community minded fellow, one of what we called " the good guys " I sent him work from WA, for my nephews company, he did it quicker and cheaper than anyone in Perth, Perth is clogged up with overpriced workshops because of labour shortage, send PM, ok.

Girraween, Pendle Hill.

Regards Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thank you both, I’m still sniffing around. Old mate at Amax Ave seems to have gone.

I expect to pay $120-odd/hr in the hand for tidy work, got to be someone willing.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #9
slowsnake
Banned

Will send pm with mobile, he will have a lathe at home, he will never stop like all of us, he can't retire it's in his blood, but he will point you in the right direction, he knows everyone!
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 12:16 PM   #10
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

find your local mens shed, alot only have wood lathes but some have metal lathes
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Snake comes through, again (it was long haul towing last time). Going to kick it off tomorrow.

The Men’s Shed at Ganmain will probably get a hiding from me in a month, site welding (stick) in a paddock - hopefully no TFB!
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #12
slowsnake
Banned

I know everyone of significance in Sydney's West CB, not just the good guys either, old saying " you find devils in high places and angels on rubbish tips " one of life's great truisms!..lol..
King Daryl will do it while you wait, knowing me even online gets you a discount already, Daryl rode around Australia on an old Harley Davison in the 70's after finishing his apprenticeship, he is a very nice and very honest cool dude, just don't like the two tone pink Cusso though..
Old 09-11-2021, 01:51 PM   #13
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m happy to help. You know where I am.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #14
hayseed

Quote:
Snake comes through, again (it was long haul towing last time). Going to kick it off tomorrow.

The Men’s Shed at Ganmain will probably get a hiding from me in a month, site welding (stick) in a paddock - hopefully no TFB!
Welding in a paddock in a months Time, Will be a Sure fire way to start a Fire, My Friend...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #15
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Welding in a paddock in a months Time, Will be a Sure fire way to start a Fire, My Friend...
Oh Please!
Are you…
https://memegenerator.net/instance/6...he-fire-warden
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #16
slowsnake
Banned

Just got off the phone to King Daryl CB, he's just moved shop not retired, chatted for an hour, haven't spoke in about 10 years, lol, but he was good about it.
You into photography CB?,...our mate Fiona is upstairs from him, used to be next door, she's a professional photographer and bloody good too.
Pick King Daryl's brain while you are there, let him know everything you are after, he, like me knows everyone, he is like a happy yellow pages that talks, he looks a bit like Santa, without the red suit, but he's all ho ho ho, and like me enjoys helping people out, maybe one day you may be able to help him?....you never know, wish I was in Sydney I really do, told him about AFF, told him you were voted the most helpful person on the forum, so, he knows you are a giver and so is he, you two will get on like a house on fire.

He is not just a good contact but a good person, you two could probably build a new World together, lol, a happy selfless one
Old 09-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #17
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Definitely NOT..........

Just someone Who Grew up on a Farm, & lived His entire Life in Rural areas & been to more than enough Fires Started by People using Welders, Oxy Sets or Slashers in Summer Time.
I actually spent 3 days once fighting a Fire started by an Oxy set..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #18
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Probs not much of a concern if La Niña takes a hold, as is predicted. Having said that, I'm sure CB will take appropriate precautions based on the conditions at the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #19
slowsnake
Banned

When I was on the farm 5 acres at Orchard Hills, Sydney's west, did a demolition in the city, picked up about a dozen empty fire extinguishers, pulled tops off em, 3/4 filled with water then 70 psi of air!
We put em all over the place, believe me, we were grinding and welding on excavators and a few Drotts, trucks etc, but within a radius of 10 metres their were 5 or 6 extinguishers ready to go, such an easy thing to do with something being scrapped, used em often to, pre spray before starting, during and when finished 15 minutes watch and wait, too easy.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:06 PM   #20
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ll be careful with any hot works in a paddock, it’s not a good look to be a part-time local and start a fire.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 10:12 PM   #21
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Welding services (TIG) may be the next quest, probably early in the coming week.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:38 PM   #22
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Welding services (TIG) may be the next quest, probably early in the coming week.
Aluminium, stainless, mild steel or chrome-moly?
Ask King Daryl tomorrow
Old 10-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #23
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The ball is rolling. I’ve been told early next week for the turning to be completed. That gives time for me to make the corresponding flat plates from 6,35 flat stock. I’ll see if this chap is keen to weld when all the bits are in front of him. At present he seems to just prefer the turning and boring.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #24
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
The ball is rolling. I’ve been told early next week for the turning to be completed. That gives time for me to make the corresponding flat plates from 6,35 flat stock. I’ll see if this chap is keen to weld when all the bits are in front of him. At present he seems to just prefer the turning and boring.
Depends what it's for?
If it's coded he has a contractor, if it's just a gate hinge he is very capable on the MIG, I taught him well!

He sleeps in the bed of a centrelathe at home, and has a cake mixer made from an old twin headed mill, lol,

As long as you get your job done to your satisfaction is all that matters really.

All fabrication work is done to AS1554 - part 1.
Old 16-11-2021, 05:09 PM   #25
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Turning completed. Now to cut the top plates and load spreaders for underneath.
Quote:
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
Old 16-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #26
slowsnake
Banned

Look after you alright CB, did he treat you well?
Yes or no answer......
Old 16-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #27
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, came in 15% under my best guess. No complaints, thank you. Reckons he can tee me up with a TIG’er.

And the black eyes are just deeply yellowed today, doesn’t look so bad - but nose still feels smashed.
Old 16-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #28
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Yes, came in 15% under my best guess. No complaints, thank you. Reckons he can tee me up with a TIG’er.

And the black eyes are just deeply yellowed today, doesn’t look so bad - but nose still feels smashed.
Good, he's a good tradesman is King Daryl, now you know where to go and good work is a good advertisement, and as for your face, I thought it was just a knock?
Wouldn't of joked about it otherwise, did you see a Doctor at all?
Old 21-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #29
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Plates mostly prepared, pilot anchor holes to be final sized tomorrow subject to checking ute tray’s existing bolt holes. I used a 38mm carbide holesaw, dry, after drilling 3/32” pilots.
Should finish about $180 under (theoretical) new price, if they actually had stock of the ladder rack kits.
Old 23-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #30
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Nothing to do with the thread, but how did they make the very first lathe??????
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post