Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default au v8 ignition leads.

Hi all,
over the past year of ownership, I have noticed a difference in smoothness especially below 2000rpm, then the other day I took the car out after a week of not driving it and noticed misfiring and rough running, again below 2000rpm even under slight load.

Popped the bonnet at night while idling in neutral and noticed a fireworks show from at least 4 leads.
no 5 and 8 were the worst. The sparks almost disappeared when revved over 2000 rpm.
No 5 lead had come loose from the plug too, so pushing it all the way in helped.

The car has the original spec "get down and bougi...cords" - they were in the car when I bought it at 135,000km a year ago and now has 139,000km.

So it looks like I have to sell off my first born child to buy a set of leads, I dont need a set of performance leads unless they actually make a difference to smoothness, performance or longevity.

Its almost criminal to compare the cost of a set with 2 extra leads over a similar set for a 6 cyl :( - I dont think leads for my cleveland cost anywhere near that much 20 odd years ago.

Any recommendations?

PS: have seen NGK's for under $200, how do they compare to bougicords?

Thanks in advance.

Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
Bourbon Ute

Default Re: au v8 ignition leads.

I replaced mine last year with a set of Bougi's off eBay for $180 delivered. Mine is dual fuel, has worked fine since.
Don't consider Bosch Super sports, they have rubbish connectors on the coil end which don't hold. Oh and they don't use heat shields on all plugs
Bourbon Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
meanfalcon

My First born is not likely to go peacefully so I had to pay $250 + postage for a set of Eagle leads, They are low resistance stainless coil core and 8mm silicone with the high temperature heat shields at the plug end. They are a good strong construction but I had to pay the ransom to get them. better ones would be the ICE ignition leads with a copper core and lower resistance but are 300 and I was concerned about the copper breaking with removing the leads later on when I will remove them to do the ports.

Mike

AU II XR8 220kw SVO zorst, G&D Auto
meanfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Eagle leads are excellent value for money and they made a hell of a difference to our cars when I swapped the factory leads for them, and I run dual fuel so spark is critical. The set on the wagon is 6 years and 200k km old and still going strong.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a brand new set of Top Gun leads I can send down for $120 delivered if you are interested. Was going to put them on my TE50, but haven't needed them yet.

: T1 TE50 #094 :
XR Lita is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Lita View Post
I've got a brand new set of Top Gun leads I can send down for $120 delivered if you are interested. Was going to put them on my TE50, but haven't needed them yet.
Thanks for the offer.
Could you pls tell me the part number? Are they 8mm?
Cheers.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
Old 27-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If you're going to use Top Guns you may as well use fencing wire wrapped in electrical tape. I can't imagine a less reliable set of leads you could pick. I bought a set once and never again, they lasted about 3 weeks before they found their way into the big round filing cabinet in the corner and I bought the Eagles.
That's only my opinion of coarse but if you do a forum search on Top Guns you'll find the overwhelming opinion is not a positive one.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Thanks basher.
Thats why i was asking what type etc.
i know the price is cheap but i dont want to buy twice.

i found a place in mel that sells original bougicord au v8 for 185 bucks.
what do you think?

ps: why do you think au v8 leads (even the after market ones) are so expensive compared to other makes and models? -rarity?

Last edited by mif73; 27-05-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 27-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Andrew, pm Dave [BOTTLEDUP] he makes MSD leads for the AU V8's i think by memory they are around the $250 mark dave as being making them for fellow members on this forum for years with excellent feedback, i have a set of them with no problems at all. if you don't want to pay twice i suggest to buy a set of hiim

ps i have read that top gun aint that good but Eagle leads are not bad

cheers dean
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
speedzter

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=14
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone wants MSD leads throw me a PM. AU V8 only, $200 posted Australia wide.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDUP View Post
If anyone wants MSD leads throw me a PM. AU V8 only, $200 posted Australia wide.
Doh!!!
24hrs too late...

I bought a set of bougis yesterday for $185 (apparently among the last shipment ever from Bougicord).
I put them in last night and they work well, although the originals are 8mm and the ones I got are actually 7mm so the clips dont quite hold them tight enough now, but they have the same part number on the lead itself.

No lightning storm under the hood now which is good.

Old 28-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Andrew did you pm Dave ??? i told you to, for $200 that is quite cheap compare to the others plus your getting a good quality brand in MSD also Dave would take he's pride in making them right not like the other's where it's mass production and mistake do happen

cheers dean
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2GHIA View Post
Andrew did you pm Dave ??? i told you to, for $200 that is quite cheap compare to the others plus your getting a good quality brand in MSD also Dave would take he's pride in making them right not like the other's where it's mass production and mistake do happen

cheers dean
Hi Dean.
I didnt pm him as I saw your post after I had bought the bougis.

Thanks anyhow.

Old 28-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDUP View Post
PM sent!

Last edited by gcg2503; 28-05-2014 at 05:01 PM.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: