Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default computer

had to get my xr6 towed to my mechanic after changing battery & starter and found out problem was a smart lock problem preventing the engine to crank over a further diagnosis revealed a faulty computer module which needs replacing either used or new.just wondering if anyone has had this problem and the cost of a new module . thanks all

david lee is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: computer

the computer (pcm) should be cheap then you need it to be coded to the bem and key by someone with the wds software or a tune shop able to do it. wouldnt have expected the computer to cost you more than $100 wreckers would be throwing them out.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again View Post
the computer (pcm) should be cheap then you need it to be coded to the bem and key by someone with the wds software or a tune shop able to do it. wouldnt have expected the computer to cost you more than $100 wreckers would be throwing them out.
thanks. with all the drama first a battery with a dead cell then a new starter motor and the cost of 2 towing fees to eventually find the problem that an auto elec could not fix my mechanic changed the computer and reprogramed with the keys who told me auto elecs are not made out to be who they are. all up the cost $850 i hope this dosent happen again.im also told it is a common problem with au-s but still very happy with my xr6 thanks again. did u have this problem
Old 11-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Sorry to hear you had to cough up so much for the fix, but its fixed now & hopefully you will now get hundreds & thousands of kays of trouble free motoring! Good luck with it!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Sorry to hear you had to cough up so much for the fix, but its fixed now & hopefully you will now get hundreds & thousands of kays of trouble free motoring! Good luck with it!

cheers, Maka
ive had it since 2006 and its been the best car ive had bar this problem.im glad i didnt tow it to ford they charge $165 an hour who said it could take 5 hours labour without the cost of the computer which im told costs $600 new.im also lucky it happened outside my house with the mechanic 1 street away it has 170.000ks and runs like new.thanks again
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

Wink Re: computer

David we all hate to pay out $850 what is for most of us a large sum of cash.
To ease the pain I always look at it as an expense over the period of ownership 2006-2014 ,8 years is $108 per year to enjoy driving your XR6. On the positive side it looks like you found a great mechanic and close by .
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC50077 View Post
David we all hate to pay out $850 what is for most of us a large sum of cash.
To ease the pain I always look at it as an expense over the period of ownership 2006-2014 ,8 years is $108 per year to enjoy driving your XR6. On the positive side it looks like you found a great mechanic and close by .image
well said
Old 29-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lee View Post
thanks. with all the drama first a battery with a dead cell then a new starter motor and the cost of 2 towing fees to eventually find the problem that an auto elec could not fix my mechanic changed the computer and reprogramed with the keys who told me auto elecs are not made out to be who they are. all up the cost $850 i hope this dosent happen again.im also told it is a common problem with au-s but still very happy with my xr6 thanks again. did u have this problem
Havent had this problem but gave the pcm from a wreck i had to a guy with a similar issue.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again View Post
Havent had this problem but gave the pcm from a wreck i had to a guy with a similar issue.
i just hope it never happens again