Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Darkhour
Starter Motor

Default Transmission Expectations from Reco

Hey guys.. thought I'd post on here to get some peoples opinions first.

Some of you guys could possibly remember I had transmission problems in my BA. In the end I took it to a place called PC Automatics in Sunbury and I guy called Michael. For various reasons including the posswibility of a s/h tranny, price and finding a new BA tran pump it took a while but $2000 later my BA was up running again with a reco'd transmission with 12m warranty.

I'm nearly due to go in for a 2000km checkup in order to guarantee the 12m warranty. Before the transmission collapsed the car was shifting through gears fine and smooth.

Now since the car was reco'd I have noticed the clunking between gears has probably worsened. It did so straight up when going into reverse but I believe it has changed for the worse running through gears.

Does anyone know what I should expect from a Ba transmission and a reco one? The only other mods that were done was the fluid pump in the tranny was modified to provide greater flow and a trans cooler was fitted.

Darkhour is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

A reco'd trans should feel like a new one

unless the line pressure was increased to make the shifts a little firmer to make it live a little longer.

also if you have been driving it hard the shifts will harden a little for a little while

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Darkhour
Starter Motor

yeah well I was told to take it easy for the first so long and thats what I have done. Only recently have I opened her up and throttled her just so I've tested the trans before prelim inspection.. that may explain the worsening of the shifts.

do you think it's something I should demand that is fixed or ?? .

I will try to baby her for the next so long and see if it settles. maybe you're right about the flow affecting the shifts also.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Your better off speaking to the builder and see what was done and whether it is normal

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Darkhour
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Your better off speaking to the builder and see what was done and whether it is normal
sweet ok thanks. I just thought I'd get some idea first before I maybe make myself look like a dick..
Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It should shift like brand new from day one, take it down there and YOU drive it for the mechanic to show him what its doing.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Darkhour
Starter Motor

ok thanks again.. I'll see how it goes in the next few days before I take it in..
Old 11-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id bring it back to them and do what they say. I imagine they would do whatever possible to help you out if you come across any issues.
That workshop has a pretty good rep around the area but it comes down to how much you personally, trust them.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBTom
That workshop has a pretty good rep around the area but it comes down to how much you personally, trust them.
May have a good reputation, I know from others who take their car there, but the workshop presentation puts me off taking my car there. Wouldnt even go to the other transmission place in Sunbury.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post