Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question 2014 Falcon features, tech and upgrades

Ok so we know what sort of features and tech the VF Commodore is going to be getting ahead of its full public reveal.

For those of us that are Falcon fans, the $64 question is still yet to be answered on what the 2014 Falcon update will bring. We know it is an MCE - Mid Cycle Evolution - which usually brings with it new front and rear sheetmetal and some interior changes.

What of the specific upgrades?

I think its a gimme that adaptive cruise will appear, as will blind spot assist, lane departure warning, EPAS (which by extension should allow self-parking to appear in high series models) Ford Sync maybe and a 2nd generation ZF 6 speed auto.

One thing is certain: items that are not in the Ford global parts bin already won't make an appearance. Tell us what you think may appear in the 2014 Falcon, not what you think should appear.

Dual zone climate control as standard and maybe tri-zone?
Adjustable rear seat headrests?
The IRS system out of the next generation Mustang?
Adaptive suspension?
Emergency Brake Assist?

etc.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Default Re: 2014 Falcon features, tech and upgrades

Well you have already nailed most of it but I will add upgraded media systems and sound systems,
Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I don't expect new suspension. Not having to develop the kinematic a and just worry about the integration might take alot of work out, but then you're left with 2 options - change the rear floor to get the best installation, or simply adapt it for cheaper but possibly have NVH issues or weaknesses related to power/torque.

I thought MCE was enhancement though.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Chrisosicko
ADELAIDE

Heated seat and cup holders in high end models?
Chrisosicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

-Flappy-paddles on sports/sports luxury models
-XT is deleted, leaving G6 and XR6 as entry level
-Keyless entry/start on all models
-Multimedia upgrades, but no Sync
-Auto up/down on all windows
-Door trims changed, returning to proper grab handles
-Extra focus on interior perception, better quality materials and ambient lighting on luxury
-DRLs built into headlights, projector and HIDs available
-LED lights all round
-Mirror indicators on all models
-Safety tech from US/Europe models (ie. lane change warning, collision warning, blind spot information system)
-An upgraded version of the Territory's EPAS, self park on luxury
-Kinetic2 styling, will follow lines of new Mondeo/Fusion
-Auto start/stop

As for the engine
-Ecoboost to remain unchanged
-I6 to be upgraded, 210+ kw for petrol and EcoLPi
-Substantial NVH improvements across all models
-XR8 to make a return with current GT engine, GS deleted
-GT engine to 360+ kw
-Similarly, XR6T to get F6 310 engine, F6 to get 330+ kw

Will be intresting to look back onto this thread when the 2014 Falcon is released and see if we were close
Old 08-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Xenons for upper spec (about time too)
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

My wish: Factory sunroof and heated seats! Not a joke.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Rodge
Banned

Updated 6 speed ZF across the board, adaptive cruise and blind spot on top models only, underbody panels on some models to help with aerodynamics and fuel efficiency, wider fitment of low rolling resistance tyres for the same reason and minor tweaks to the tune of some motors and that's about it. Lets be honest they've got bugger all R&D money to work with so its best to be realistic.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

about one 20 th of the items listed so far , my guess would be minimal or no changes to suspension if any, minor cosmetic changes inside and out, maybe a bit more safety tech, perhaps epas, no changes in engine power but slight improvements in economy.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Transplant Mondeo Titanium spec into G6E. Drop stupid name and have Titanium. G6 to Zetec..cann't be that hard surely ????? or have Chrysler 300 badged as Zetec and 300C as Titanium !!! lotsa kit for less money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Away from Falcon at the moment, how about Fusion built in Australia as a 1.6 Ecoboost
in manual and auto, and available with AWD.. Ambiente, Zetec and Titanium.

At under $30 K for an Ambiente, 6.8 and 7.2 l/100 km is hard to beat for that price...

Give the market a car they may be interested in buying to stabilize production and
then Falcon can be more of the car it was always intended to be, sporty and luxurious.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
BDA074

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Away from Falcon at the moment, how about Fusion built in Australia as a 1.6 Ecoboost

At under $30 K for an Ambiente, 6.8 and 7.2 l/100 km is hard to beat for that price...

Give the market a car they may be interested in buying to stabilize production and
then Falcon can be more of the car it was always intended to be, sporty and luxurious.
Awesome idea... Don't forget the Hybrid. Would really put it to the Camry then.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
distortion

Quote:

Would that be a fwd biased awd? like 70% front, 30% rear?
distortion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

would be great to see that happen and keep the falcon as a sporty car and bring back the xr8

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I think all you need to do is look at the VF launch in tomorrow's paper. It'd be safe to say 2014 Falcon will match Commodore for Tech maybe with the exception of Front Parking Sensors, and Sunroof.

Sync will be on the cards but with all the trouble they're having with MyFord in the US I doubt we'll see it here just yet.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My prediction, not a lot.

The difference between the BF and BA was not huge.

There will be evolutionary upgrades such as later model transmissions or minor suspension changes and some tweaks to the ICC etc. but all in all it will be mostly the same.

There are no holes in the current model range that could be fixed cheaply or easily. The FG2 has basically everything that people want to actually spend money on.

As far as the almost constant "bring back the XR8" whine I am fairly sure it wont happen and even if it did it would be replaced by either an even louder "XR8 is too expensive" whine if the XR8 was supercharged or a spectacular "XR8 is too slow, XR6T and SS are much faster" sook if it is not.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
I think we're looking at an ED-EF type update (insofar as the extent of the update) as opposed to what was more or less a systems and technical update a-la BA-BF.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
As far as the almost constant "bring back the XR8" whine I am fairly sure it wont happen and even if it did it would be replaced by either an even louder "XR8 is too expensive" whine if the XR8 was supercharged or a spectacular "XR8 is too slow, XR6T and SS are much faster" sook if it is not.
Change the name of the GS to XR8, put a Ford badge on it and problem solved.

To me, the name GS doesn't fit anywhere in with the rest of the badges in todays time, XR8 started in the 90s, it has a solid name behind it.

GS was around in the 70s wasn't it?

For features I'm putting money on auto up/down windows on all 4, YEAH BABY!
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I think we're looking at an ED-EF type update (insofar as the extent of the update) as opposed to what was more or less a systems and technical update a-la BA-BF.
The full Copperhead update was spread out over BA2-BF2 anyway. If you out the new look, both six speeds and the NVH upgrades together you'd have a decent upgrade.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Change the name of the GS to XR8, put a Ford badge on it and problem solved.

To me, the name GS doesn't fit anywhere in with the rest of the badges in todays time, XR8 started in the 90s, it has a solid name behind it.

GS was around in the 70s wasn't it?

For features I'm putting money on auto up/down windows on all 4, YEAH BABY!
Yep the 70s names are all forgotten......

No one has ever heard of Pursuit, Super Pursuit, Futura, GT or GTHO either have they?

But the 90s did give rise to a lot of "solid" names like GL, GLi, S and Forte didn't they? These were also discontinued and replaced with something else as they "baggage" that needed to be discarded and give the product a fresh new beginning.

With the exception of AU3 and possibly AU2, XR8 has ALWAYS been slower than the XR6........

As I have said many time before, almost all of the "bring back the XR8" fans are not driving one now, have never bought one new and in many cases have never ever owned or even driven one at all.

Ford are in the business of selling NEW cars. Making a model that appeals to people who don't want to actually buy one NEW is just silly.
The FG XR8 was almost salesproof while the FG/2 GS 5.0 seems to be doing reasonably well.

But as you are so keen, why don't you buy a GS, remove the FPV stripes and starter and fit XR8 badges? It will cost you maybe $200.

It will be rather unique as I have never heard of ANYONE making a fake XR8 while there are squillions of fake GTs and XR6Ts.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I think people are lementing the fact that you can buy an SS Commodore for $40k on the road (after discount), while the entry level Ford V8 is approx $55k. I really don't think the badge on the boot or stripe package makes a difference.

How does Ford justify the extra coin for a GS over a XR6T?
Old 09-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Design View Post
I think people are lementing the fact that you can buy an SS Commodore for $40k on the road (after discount), while the entry level Ford V8 is approx $55k. I really don't think the badge on the boot or stripe package makes a difference.

How does Ford justify the extra coin for a GS over a XR6T?
Maybe it is because it has a supercharged V8 that has a lot of development costs to be amortised.

The XR8 was $45k in 2009-2010 which was EXACTLY the same price as the XR6T and withing a couple of hundred dollars of the SS. It hardly sold.

When I bought my FG2 XR6T ute in April all the new SS utes (not demo or last year plate) were around $45k with the SSV ute at $53k. Sedans were dearer.....
Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yep the 70s names are all forgotten......

No one has ever heard of Pursuit, Super Pursuit, Futura, GT or GTHO either have they?

But the 90s did give rise to a lot of "solid" names like GL, GLi, S and Forte didn't they? These were also discontinued and replaced with something else as they "baggage" that needed to be discarded and give the product a fresh new beginning.

With the exception of AU3 and possibly AU2, XR8 has ALWAYS been slower than the XR6........

As I have said many time before, almost all of the "bring back the XR8" fans are not driving one now, have never bought one new and in many cases have never ever owned or even driven one at all.

Ford are in the business of selling NEW cars. Making a model that appeals to people who don't want to actually buy one NEW is just silly.
The FG XR8 was almost salesproof while the FG/2 GS 5.0 seems to be doing reasonably well.

But as you are so keen, why don't you buy a GS, remove the FPV stripes and starter and fit XR8 badges? It will cost you maybe $200.

It will be rather unique as I have never heard of ANYONE making a fake XR8 while there are squillions of fake GTs and XR6Ts.
90s gave birth to the XR6 and XR8, they're popular names, no?

Fairmont Ghia was around in the 70s, and it died out with its age group, replaced with G series.

Who said I was keen on buying an XR8? I said maybe it would be more suitable to rename GS to XR8 given we have a pretty strong following of XR8 fans here.

I've bought two new cars from Ford in the last 4 years, well 3 if you count the totaled Focus insurance replaced for me. Just not Australian made Ford, because they don't make what I like, maybe I would have if they didn't decide not to build the Focus here.

Given I'm buying another car either this year or next, given I've heard some rumors that Dodge might be bringing the RAM here in 2014, it could join my fleet.

I've also got a Falcon, which the ONLY reason I have it, is because it came up cheap and I didn't have to go out of my way to drive it home as I was looking for a project car.

Hell, maybe call the XR6T, Falcon ST and the GT, Falcon RS.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Maybe it is because it has a supercharged V8 that has a lot of development costs to be amortised.

The XR8 was $45k in 2009-2010 which was EXACTLY the same price as the XR6T and withing a couple of hundred dollars of the SS. It hardly sold.

When I bought my FG2 XR6T ute in April all the new SS utes (not demo or last year plate) were around $45k with the SSV ute at $53k. Sedans were dearer.....
2009-10 XR8 didn't sell as everyone was waiting on the new 5.0 V8, then it came out at a vastly higher price point and everyone said WTF. People who wanted a cheap performance Ford went the XR6T everyone else went elsewhere.

Consumers don't care if Ford made a mistake on their V8 pricing model, they only care about what they can afford within their budget. Ford blew it and now they're suffering the consequences, its that simple.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Design View Post
2009-10 XR8 didn't sell as everyone was waiting on the new 5.0 V8, then it came out at a vastly higher price point and everyone said WTF. People who wanted a cheap performance Ford went the XR6T everyone else went elsewhere.

Consumers don't care if Ford made a mistake on their V8 pricing model, they only care about what they can afford within their budget. Ford blew it and now they're suffering the consequences, its that simple.
It may surprise you to know that Prodrive had a big say in the RRP, since they
were the ones putting up the development cash and taking most of the risk..

Without sounding to pessimistic, I can't see Ford digging too deep with a +2014 GT,
maybe enough change to differentiate from XRs but not much more..

Last edited by jpd80; 09-02-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
gtfpv
GT

different dash , and clusters , slightly better sound systems , xt to go . GS to go XR8 to return , power unchanged , different body kits , different wheels .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #27
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These are the features that Fords in other countries have that the Falcon doesn't

Active Park Assist
Adaptive Cruise Control
Blind Spot Information System
Ford Smart Key
Heated/Cooled Front Seats and Heated Steering Wheel
Multicontour Seats with Active Motion
Heated rear seats
Digital radio
Multi-colour LED ambient lighting

I should expect most of these features should be available in the G6E, at least.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That's also ignoring what XR8 retailed for pre BF2. It was only $45k after VE launched and Ford matched SS's price drop when it replaced SV8, and relied on the luxury pack XR8 and XR6T to sell against SSV.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #29
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Keyless entry/start seems like a logical choice, especially for FPV.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My prediction, not a lot.

There will be evolutionary upgrades such as later model transmissions or minor suspension changes and some tweaks to the ICC etc. but all in all it will be mostly the same.

There are no holes in the current model range that could be fixed cheaply or easily. The FG2 has basically everything that people want to actually spend money on.

I would like to see Ford introducing models to encourage buyers to spend above $40,000 for a Falcon,
not exactly sure how to do that but the diesel was very successful in lifting Territory transaction prices.

Performance Image?
Perhaps a switch to a baby 4.0 V8 in lieu of the I-6, something with power and economy
to take Falcon forward with a performance image and slightly higher price whilst leaving
the 2.0 Ecoboost to gather sales in the $ 35K - $40K envelope..

That plan differs from GS becoming XR8 in that it retains the price integrity of the
high series V8 cars whilst offering buyers in the low $40ks something interesting
that Holden most likely will never do..

My Falcon line up:
Ecoboost 2.0 (179 Kw, 350 nm)
4.0 V8 Coyote ( 250 Kw, 430 nm)
5.0 S/C Coyote.

The latter two could be built locally by increasing the mini line at Geelong to replace I-6 production..
This user likes this post: