Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Jeremy Clarkson has become one of the highest paid presenters

Jeremy Clarkson has become one of the highest paid presenters in the history of the BBC after taking home more than $23 million (14 million pounds) for his work on Top Gear, accounts have shown.

Clarkson was paid $13.8 million for his stake in a joint venture with BBC Worldwide which markets the Top Gear brand globally, on top of a nearly $8 million dividend payment. He was also paid $1.64 million for his salary as a presenter.

His total pay eclipses Jonathan Ross's $9.86 million salary when he was at the corporation and Graham Norton's, which is thought to be around $7.4 million.

Clarkson held a 30 per cent stake in Bedder 6, a joint commercial venture with BBC Worldwide, since 2007. Top Gear's executive producer, Andy Wilman, has a 20 per cent stake in the company.
Advertisement

A BBC Worldwide spokesman said that "no licence fee income" had been used to pay shareholders. He added: "In just five years the business grew its profits fivefold (and its revenue to $245 million), which would not have been possible without the involvement of the show's creative talent."

The BBC's accounts, published Tuesday, showed that the corporation spent $329 million on paying presenters and "talent" last year, a slight fall on the previous year.

The figures included 14 individuals who were paid between $822,000 and $8.2 million, although the BBC refused to provide narrower cost bands or publish details on who they were.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ente...#ixzz2ZHVyVM16

Old 17-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Default Re: Jeremy Clarkson has become one of the highest paid presenters

worth every penny. even his non motoring shows where good.
Old 17-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR View Post
worth every penny. even his non motoring shows where good.
Agreed, and my Top Gear DVD collection does aswell.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A hopeless idiot ! who just talks so much rubbish lacks depth and it just goes to show anyone could do it.
Just look at it all, it lacks so much. but there ya go that's people for you they don't want to know anything but be entertained by just a lot of gibberish.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol I'm sure his bank account says the opposite about him being a hopeless idiot.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
TRAU BLAU

Jeremy Clarkson is popular because he sees the humour in everything.He is able to express this funny side{albeit sarcastic & very exagerated **together with the latest in Motoring Technology amid exciting Geographical locations.Personally I think he's Great!
TRAU BLAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Trump
bitch lasagne

Not bad for being a public servant. Imagine he was at the ABC, he'd be lucky to get a hot meal on Tuesdays
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Not bad for being a public servant. Imagine he was at the ABC, he'd be lucky to get a hot meal on Tuesdays
unlike the ABC, the Beeb makes programs for a wide viewing audience. ABC caters pretty firmly to the latte set. til they get over themselves, I'm quite happy for as few $$ to go their way as possible.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
lol I'm sure his bank account says the opposite about him being a hopeless idiot.
I personally can't stand him, but I get that he's high paid because people find him entertaining. It isn't that hard to work out - there's a lot of rich people who are rich because they're entertaining, not because of how smart they are. Look at Justin Bieber who, when it was mentioned that he had a lot of fans in Germany, said "Germany... what is that?" or something to that effect.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clarkson has a Doctorate of Engineering, none of the the Top Gear presenters are 'dumb'..they are likeable because they are all 'nerds' deep down and people can relate to them.
Old 18-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
munners

Good on him, he is a funny bastard.

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He's like that annoying friend you like cause they annoy everyone.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #13
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He should spend some of the coin on fixing up his teeth!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #14
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
A hopeless idiot ! who just talks so much rubbish lacks depth and it just goes to show anyone could do it.
Just look at it all, it lacks so much. but there ya go that's people for you they don't want to know anything but be entertained by just a lot of gibberish.
He's rich because he's famous, and he's famous for polarising opinion.

Congratulations, you've helped make somebody you dislike rich and famous.
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #15
hedgehobb

Maybe now he can afford some toothpaste.
hedgehobb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
Clarkson has a Honorary Doctorate of Engineering
^^^Fixed.

From wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_degree

An honorary degree or a degree honoris causa (Latin: "for the sake of the honor") is an academic degree for which a university (or other degree-awarding institution) has waived the usual requirements, such as matriculation, residence, study and the passing of examinations. The degree is typically a doctorate or, less commonly, a master's degree and may be awarded to someone who has no prior connection with the academic institution.

The degree is often conferred as a way of honouring a distinguished visitor's contributions to a specific field or to society in general. It is often given to graduation speakers at a university or college. The university often derives benefits by association with the person in question. The degree is not recognized by employers as having the same stature as a corresponding 'earned' doctorate and should not be represented as such.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Anyone eh, so for a start you can steer as good as him to then I take it, because if not that counts you out straight away
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
I8hsv
I8hsv

I personally think he is a twat but love the show good on him wish I could get payed that much and drive all those exotic car like I stole them
I8hsv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

The show isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be in the early seasons but good on Clarkson.
He took the show from the ashes that it once was and re created it to this master franchise. good on him and the rest of the team, they deserve all the spoils of success.
Old 19-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
He's rich because he's famous, and he's famous for polarising opinion.

Congratulations, you've helped make somebody you dislike rich and famous.
Did not say i disliked him, but how the show lacks any real depth and it looks like most people just like to be entertained. they are all just only clowns. nothing is serious at all.
Old 19-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Love the show - love the personalities - some of the stunts and challenges leave me in stitches for hours......

I couldnt care less about how serious or technical the reviews are........let's face it....how likely is anyone watching the show going to walk into a ZONDA delaer ( is there such athing ).....and buy one because of a TOP GEAR review.....meh

There are probably thousands more idiots that get paid 10 times more to do 10 times less for society.......laughter is good !

I just want to see those top gear clowns do massive skids in million dollar hypercars........entertainment.....you betchya......
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #22
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post

Anyone eh, so for a start you can steer as good as him to then I take it, because if not that counts you out straight away
What do you mean steer as good ?
Steer as in drive as good ?
I don't think he is a top driver at all. and i don't think he says he is as well.
How would that count me out, do you know me ?

Look at it this way a bunch of clowns that make more money than professional race drivers.

I think i would be more impressed with people who could go into depth about cars like moffat and the like. clark can't he is only bobens and bounce.
Old 19-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt most people watch it solely for the reviews, I personally love the challenges. Going on these massive trips with Junkers is pretty interesting to watch, even the bike one where they turned them into boats was cool. I couldn't stop laughing when I think it was Mays that fell to bits like 100m from the finish. Granted he still made it though.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 19-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #24
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
^^^Fixed.
Well I guess that changes everything.
Old 19-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
ZH For Me
Suckin Diesel

I actually like the fact that Clarkson, Hammo and Cpt. May clown around so much. I watched an episode of Fifth Gear once, it made me want to introduce sharp knives into my ear canals and pour chilli flakes into my eyes. A little humour goes a long way, which is why, in my opinion, the show has such a large following. Lord forbid should a car show be entertaining, I suppose.

I have to agree with some of the comments, however. Is Clarkson a twat? Yes. Is he an arrogant old fart? Absolutely. BUT.... The show simply wouldn't be what it is without him. He's just being himself, he doesn't care what anyone else thinks of him (Come to think of it, if I banked that much in a year, I probably would either ). From a personal standpoint, I love the fact that he says whatever's on his mind at the given moment, politically correct or not. That's something that I think is becoming more and more absent from entertainment these days.

Each to their own, but I think the man's worth his weight in gold from an entertainment stand-point.
ZH For Me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm over him I have to say, I used to really enjoy all the stuff he put out (even non auto based) now his stuff just doesnt interest me.

Congratulations if he can demand this sort of $$$ but his programs, books etc arnt for me any more

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What do you mean steer as good ?
Steer as in drive as good ?
I don't think he is a top driver at all..
He can steer. Im pretty sure in one of those enduro races on the show he did quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Did not say i disliked him, but how the show lacks any real depth and it looks like most people just like to be entertained. they are all just only clowns. nothing is serious at all.
The show is not meant to be serious, if you want a more serious show try 'Fifth Gear'.
Old 19-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #28
ZH For Me
Suckin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
I doubt most people watch it solely for the reviews, I personally love the challenges. Going on these massive trips with Junkers is pretty interesting to watch, even the bike one where they turned them into boats was cool. I couldn't stop laughing when I think it was Mays that fell to bits like 100m from the finish. Granted he still made it though.
The Vietnam special. That was golden. Not only did May make it to the finish line, but he also hauled that stupid statue (Or half a statue, at the end) to the finish as well. I've never been a fan of bikes, but that challenge did make me think long and hard.
ZH For Me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Love the show - love the personalities - some of the stunts and challenges leave me in stitches for hours......

I couldnt care less about how serious or technical the reviews are........let's face it....how likely is anyone watching the show going to walk into a ZONDA delaer ( is there such athing ).....and buy one because of a TOP GEAR review.....meh

There are probably thousands more idiots that get paid 10 times more to do 10 times less for society.......laughter is good !

I just want to see those top gear clowns do massive skids in million dollar hypercars........entertainment.....you betchya......
If i were a young kid i may like that to, but rather drive a car than watch others.
I have a old Maori mate just down the road to go see if i want to have a good laugh and listen to the rubbish he talks. and he is better then that lot, and i ride with the idiot as well. so as soon as clark and co come on it's just to much for me. i have had it with all the bull.
Old 19-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #30
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZH For Me View Post
The Vietnam special. That was golden. Not only did May make it to the finish line, but he also hauled that stupid statue (Or half a statue, at the end) to the finish as well. I've never been a fan of bikes, but that challenge did make me think long and hard.
Yeah same, and i forgot about the statue haha. Thats the sort of stuff that makes Top Gear so much better then the other boring car shows.