Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 12-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Castlegreyskull
BIGGUS

Default 89ntelstar.... clutch falls to the floor, with no return.

The missus has a 89 telstar ghia. yesty the clutch lost most of its firmness and i can now push it nearly all the way to the floor without it do anything. it is free untill about 50mm off the floor and then it kicks in. But along with this came the problem with the gears. trying to put the gears into gear has been a mission. i have to force it real hard to get it into gear. first is the worst, but it is quite hard in all the gears.

I have no idea what is wrong. it still ahs heaps of fluid, i cant see any leaks anywhere. dont know much about the manuals, as i have always had autos.

righto, so i have bleed the system to get all the possible air out. but now we have lost all pressure in clutch pedal, push it down and it stays there.

Had a look at the clutch slave cylinder, and it is not returning, u can move it by hand. once u push the clutch pedal in and then pull the pedal up by hand, the slave cylinder stays in, but you you still cant select any gear when car is on.

So would it be safe to assume that slave cylinder is ed, and a new one is needed?

need some help urgently, so please info please, from anyone, even if it is some old homeless bloke that u drag in off the street.

Just need to know, as i may be able to go to auto parts place today and get it. If i can push the car out of the way, so i can get the lane out.

So if anyone can help, it would be muchly appreciated, as i need to get it going ASAP, so the missus can drive it for work.

cheers

BEN

Old 12-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

ok the clutch master system if hydraulic is bypassing internally

you can buy a rebuild kit and hone the cylinder out with wet and dry using brake fluid
that means taking the master cylinder off sometimes the kit comes with insrtuctions

the next thing to check is if the booster is working ok

if that doesnt work then the pressure plate itself may be faulty
when the pressure plate fails the clutch has the same problem as you describe that means gearbox out

do you have the skills to fit the kit yourself ?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Castlegreyskull
BIGGUS

hmmm, gearbox out i didnt wanna hear those words yet...

mate i am always up to giving things a go. so if i pull the slave clinder out, get the rebuild kit, rub the insides out with wet and dry (using brake fluid as lube??), then put her all back together. is that about right? where can i get the rebuild kits from andhow much would it cost? would it be just as easy to buy a new slave cylinder??
Old 12-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
dirty hands
Over Thinker

a brake shop
yes a kit maybe even from repco or a brake shop
wet and dry as a honeing
but if the cylinder is scored you need a resleave
now you
can either get them to rebuild your own master cylinder or buy exchange
ring around because you may find differnt prices

dont know current prices

gearbox comes out from under neath
Old 12-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
Castlegreyskull
BIGGUS

just been on the blower to the old man. he reckons it is definetly the master slave cylinder. so i will replace that and see how it goes.

just rang up local parts joint. is going to cost $50 for replacement. that is cheap enough, so i will replace it tommorrow, as they need to get the part in.

what a bastard. cant get the telstar out of the driveway as it is uphill to get it out. so that means boith of our cars are unusable. bugger.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
dirty hands
Over Thinker

you still have the brakes
park the car up on the street over night
$50 is a good price dont forget to buy clutch fluid you will have to bleed the whole system for air
good luck
start the car in gear if you can roll it back and forward
why not call racq or equivelint to tow you out onto the road ??
Old 12-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Castlegreyskull
BIGGUS

yeah will buy clutch fluid aswell.

and the NRMA will not come to your place anymore, u have to be somewhere else besides your home. u could be on the nest door neighbours lawn and they would come, but not on your properrty. stupid i know.

i cant get the car up the hill of the driveway, too damn heavy. mate is coming around shortly to help us, but prob not going to help. fairly steep.

i shall report back tommorrow on how i went.

thanks heaps champ.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
dirty hands
Over Thinker

ok seeing as the master cyl is stuffed and wont be used put gearbox oil or something heavier in the master cylinder ?

it is always recommended to replace the other end of the gearbox hydraulic systen (the slave bit )at the same time if the master has gone then the other bit wont be in too good a shape either

and have a quick look under the pedal to make sure the pedal return spring hasn't broken if it has one
Old 12-06-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
dirty hands
Over Thinker

if you did decide to use the differnt oil you will need to flush the hydraulic stystem out very well before putting in the clutch fluid
Old 13-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #10
Castlegreyskull
BIGGUS

Well i got stuck into it today, and she nis all good for the time being.

All i done was drain all the fluid, pull out the slave clinder and gave it a bit of a clean, put her all back together, filled her up, bleed the lines. and bobs ur uncle. dont know what the go was, beats me.

It is still a bit sloppy, but it will do for the time being, going to get rid of it soon anyways.

thanks heaps for your help, muchly appreciated.

cheers

BEN
Old 13-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #11
dirty hands
Over Thinker

yes giving it a clean out with metho would have got rid of the sludge
good idea

the rubber cups must have been just ok

you can be lucky sometimes

for future readers i would have the clutch hydraulic system replaced if you intend to keep the car
Old 13-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
Castlegreyskull
BIGGUS

cheers for ur help mate, was a great help.

took the car for another run about a hour or so ago, and it is feeling as good as gold.

Yeah i just gave her a quick wipe over with some lube juice, wiped her all down wacked her in, and away she went. wasnt overly dirtythough, couldnt see much inside aswell. so i dunno what went on, just glad it is going.