Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-05-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
Focus Zetec 2.0

Unhappy Focus Zetec 2.0 has major pinging

I have very recently purchased a auto zetec 2.0. The car has been diagnosed several times but now it's a sure pinging noise from the engine which the manufacturer now admits. They have all put there hands up now and waiting for Europe to answer(almost 10 days). I'm very concerned about what can be done as this is a bug in the system so I've been told.

Can anybody help with some information, would be great.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
whippet_zetec
Supes

my Zetec is only 10,000km old and havent had any engine issues as yet, clutch issues dont get me started......
Old 25-05-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

nope I'm good. Had nothing like that.
Old 25-05-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I don't mean to come across as a total moron or anything, but you are using Premium Unleaded aren't you??
melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
Focus Zetec 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
I don't mean to come across as a total moron or anything, but you are using Premium Unleaded aren't you??
Thanks for the reply. From day one I used premium but it looks as though there maybe some communications issue with the European petrol transfer..but nobody really knows exactly whats wrong from what I can see.
Old 25-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try BP Ultimate- I've found that best for preventing pinging in my Feroza.

When does the engine do it?
Old 25-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
Focus Zetec 2.0

It makes a pinging noise on slight and aggressive acceleration and the warmer the car gets the worse it becomes.
Old 26-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #8
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What sort of tests have the dealers done? Have they tried swapping anything to fix it?
Old 27-05-2005, 09:23 AM   #9
Focus Zetec 2.0

From what i undersatnd they have tried every test under the sun, but not the manufacturer labratory tests which can only be done on premises.
Old 27-05-2005, 10:35 AM   #10
KJGH
G6E Driver

If its under warranty don't stuff around. If you think the dealer sucks balls go to another one. I do know of one person in Geelong that has had an engine rebuilt on their Focus. They got a 3rd party to do it so they must have been really ****ed at Ford. I'll find out more details about that when I go down next.
Old 27-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yep, good advice Kenny, Dealer all the way. If you're unhappy with the treatment, try another Dealer and remember the Ford CRC is always there to help IF all else fails on 13 36 73. It is their obligation to fix your car, they are the ford experts.
Old 27-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #12
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try and find out what they have done exactly and post it up on here. There are all sorts of thing they can test and try to fix that sort of thing.

Have they run it up on a chassis dyno and checked the ignition timing while it is accelerating? Have they replaced the ECU and things like the spark plugs, air filter and fuel fliter? Have they checked fuel flow and pressure? Have they shoved a mixture meter up the exhaust and checked if it's running lean?

Sadly there aren't too many places willing to spend the time fault finding. My bet is they've shoved it in the "too hard" basket!

My Mondeo's central locking was misbehaving when I bought it new (not doing what the Aussie manual said it should do.) Local dealer claimed there was a known wiring problem and Ford Aust was looking into it. This excuse dragged on for a couple of months..... One day I was in there and managed to persuade the service guys to give me a look at their Mondeo Service manuals. In there (while looking for something else) I discovered my central was working correctly- it all depends how it comes programmed from the factory. The fix was a simple matter of them plugging in a test computer and reprogramming the central locking. Why didn't they find/know that?! :
Old 18-06-2005, 12:22 AM   #13
Focus Zetec 2.0

Default Major pinging noise saga

Thanks for all your help, today a engineer from Ford explaind that all Ford Zetecs make a noise on acceleration but do not call this pinging in substitute a burning noise.As far as I'm concerned they can call it what they like..there is a definite fault with my car and I don't buy the argument. If you have all testified there are know known pinging noise in your Zetec engines therefore they are trying to pass the buck. Basically they said to me today there is nothing else which they can do to rectify the issue and thats the way all were created.Your advise would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Old 18-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #14
KJGH
G6E Driver

Did the engineer and yourself go for a drive in the car together?
Old 19-06-2005, 10:33 AM   #15
Focus Zetec 2.0

Both engineer and myself went for a test drive and he admitted there is a 100% pinging and or burning noise(more of a pinging noise) on acceleration.
Old 19-06-2005, 01:15 PM   #16
KJGH
G6E Driver

If they admitted that then they should be fixing it. What did they say to you? I think you need to call Ford Customer Service and complain about that dealer.
Old 19-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #17
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Consumer Affairs ...... :

Just get a written report from an independent mechanic first to verify it is pinging.
Old 19-06-2005, 11:23 PM   #18
Focus Zetec 2.0

Cheers

I'm probably going to get NRMA to run an inspection and report.What are your thoughts on this?
Old 20-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #19
whippet_zetec
Supes

if you are a NRMA member and they are happy to run a inspection and can find the fault then go for, because if Ford says they cant find the fault then you will have a test that shows it and will be able to direct Ford to the NRMA to sort out the problem (providing the NRMA can find the fault)
Old 16-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #20
kirkr99
5 Door 2.0L Zetec

I would double check the spark plug gaps.
My father had a similar problem with one of his fords back home in the UK which had a similar engine. When the plug gap was rectified, the problem went away.

kirkr99
kirkr99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 11:27 PM   #21
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I have recently has some REAL pinging in the last 24 hours from around 3,000rpm-3,500rpm and above, under heavy to full throttle, don't ask why. Desperation... I'm taking it to the Dealer tomorrow.

I refuse to believe it's pinging due to incorrect spark plug gaps or tired plugs (although it's a strong possibility), could be the fueld filter or the ECU might be playing up. Have had random warning lights lately... will keep you all posted. Very unexpected and REALLY giving me the shirts. I don't even have my K&N fitted, just my zorst!! I'm leaning towards ECU because I have once/multiple times had the following problems

1) Idle hang, loss of engine braking, constant problem
2) VDC AdvanceTrac light turning on and shutting down the system (twice in 12 months)
3) Fuel light on and zero fuel reading 3-4 times in the last few weeks.
4) now this pinging rubbish.

GOTTA be the ECU surely.

YOUR issue however, if you are thinking of the one below 2,200rpm, has something to do with the clutch I believe or the torque converter and a resonance that sounds very much like pinging. If it's louder as you get closer to redline, then that's a different story.
Old 25-07-2005, 09:23 PM   #22
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From everything I've read you're more likely to get pinging around the revs that the engine develops maximum torque- not at higher revs. Of course if it's being caused by the timing being too advanced or lean mixtures by the ECU then anything is possible.
Old 25-07-2005, 11:10 PM   #23
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Im thinking it could be as simpl[e as an O2 sensor... will find out on Wednesday and let you all know.