Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
NIGHTHAWK
starter motor

Question Gene pool

i think it has been touched on briefly here on this site where every one has actually come from,ie you are born here but your mum and dad were born overseas etc. Has any one actually used a gene tree to locate older, now passed on relatives, and if you have which sites are the best to use?

NIGHTHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

No, but that does sound like a very interesting idea...
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWK
i think it has been touched on briefly here on this site where every one has actually come from,ie you are born here but your mum and dad were born overseas etc. Has any one actually used a gene tree to locate older, now passed on relatives, and if you have which sites are the best to use?
My mother has traced my family lines back to the crusades, at which points things get a bit sketchy, so its possible to get a fair way back just using online resources. Usually no ONE online geneaology site has all the info, often you will be hunting between sites looking for one persons info. Some you will have to pay for of course. Some are free. Depending on where your family is from there are local online resources in those countries that can help too. Google them to find them.

heres some links for general geneaology
http://www.familysearch.org
http://www.ancestry.com
http://www.genesreunited.com.au
http://genforum.genealogy.com
http://www.genealogy.com/index_r.html

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Because of the war, it's very hard for us to trace back our roots. All our grandparents have passed on and simply refused to talk about any reletives. Also any documents are useless as they were all faked (again, due to the war, I don't even know what my REAL last name is).

But the few things I do know is that my mum's Austrian, Dad's family is Ukraine, and I also have heritage back to scotland.
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerian
Because of the war, it's very hard for us to trace back our roots. All our grandparents have passed on and simply refused to talk about any reletives. Also any documents are useless as they were all faked (again, due to the war, I don't even know what my REAL last name is).

But the few things I do know is that my mum's Austrian, Dad's family is Ukraine, and I also have heritage back to scotland.
My wife has a similar issue, her Heritage on one side is Cherokee and African American in the 1800's, but her older relatives are living in a world of denial and wont talk about them. That hasnt stopped us though and we have found a few generations back, eventually though we might go over to the states and see what we can find in person. Often its the only way to get info.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

It can be quite daunting trying to trace your family tree on the Internet, hang in there though. Even the sites that you think are small and you wont find anything on may have a plethora of information.

I have a lot of Scottish ancestry sites, just not at hand. I'll look them out for you.

As Sourbastard said, it's usually a lot easier going over to the country and researching there.
Old 15-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #7
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

That's something I've got planned in '07. Going to be travelling around Europe (mostly france but want to go to Austria and the Ukraine as well). I have to try all variations on my name in order to find something though, I know there's at least a 'c' and possibly a 'z' missing.
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

My Fathers side of the family is Scottish, but came here many generations ago. My Mother's side of my family is of German origin. The family name was "Schaetler", but to escape persecution during the war it was changed to "Shadler" It became "White" when my Nanna married Papa, and that is my Mum's maiden name.

My Dad's surname (and effectively, mine) is "Carnegie-Smith" from the clan of which my family descends from (Being the "Carnegie" clan). Smith was tacked on the end somewhere along the line.

My Nanna has published a book about our family history dating back to some ungodly date in history (back when Dinosaurs roamed the earth and TV was still black and white) I'll dig it out this arvo and have a look.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #9
AdzT3-146
own the road

My Fathers side traces back to Cork, Ireland.

My Mums side is from England and i have a bit of Canada thrown in aswell.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
My mother has traced my family lines back to the crusades, at which points things get a bit sketchy, so its possible to get a fair way back just using online resources. Usually no ONE online geneaology site has all the info, often you will be hunting between sites looking for one persons info. Some you will have to pay for of course. Some are free. Depending on where your family is from there are local online resources in those countries that can help too. Google them to find them.

heres some links for general geneaology
http://www.familysearch.org
http://www.ancestry.com
http://www.genesreunited.com.au
http://genforum.genealogy.com
http://www.genealogy.com/index_r.html

And you said you crawled out from under a rock one day.
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 03:57 PM   #11
XR8GRL