Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Peugots Falcon Commodore Rival. And its DIESEL!!!

First drive: Peugeot's new Commodore rival
Richard Blackburn
July 15, 2011 - 9:01AM

Large cars may be a dying breed, but Peugeot's happy for its 508 to invade Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon turf.

At first glance, the new Peugeot 508 appears to be a car in no-man's land.

It's a replacement for both the 407 mid-sized car and Peugeot's 607 flagship and it's classified as a large car, yet its main competitors are the Volkswagen Passat and the Ford Mondeo.

Peugeot general manager, Ken Thomas, says the company is comfortable with the car being classified as a large car, and says he expects it to attract traditional large car buyers, especially those who get to choose their company car.

Advertisement: Story continues below
"We're finding a lot of customers, particularly in the fleet market, who don't want to compromise the size of their vehicle. They still want a large car. You've got a lot of guys who still have needs, who are travelling big distances and maybe have a multipurpose use for them on weekends. They want a traditional family-sized car, either a sedan or wagon,” he says.

The new 508 sedan certainly has a traditional family-size look about it. The love-it-or-hate-it gaping mouth grill of previous Peugeots has given way to a far more conservative look that borders on plain from some angles. The wagon, on the other hand, is an eye-catcher, with a streamlined, sporty profile.

Inside, the 508 continues what has been a renaissance of sorts in Peugeot cabins in recent years. There's still the odd ill-fitting panel, but the stylish chrome-rimmed dials with white backlighting combine with a classy digital trip computer display on the instrument panel to convey a prestige feel.

That's backed up by the ambient lighting through the cabin, soft-touch materials on the dash, leather seats, frosted chrome door handles and a piano-black finish on the centre console.

The prestige look is complemented by an impressive amount of equipment on the Allure and GT models we sampled.

The Allure, which for the moment is only available as a diesel with a starting price of $42,990 plus on-roads, has four-zone air conditioning with controls for the back seat passengers, Bluetooth with audio streaming and a USB plug, a smart key, an electric park brake, parking sensors and a parking assistant that uses sensors to measure whether a parallel parking spot is big enough for the car.

The wagon is $3000 more and gets a panoramic sunroof that covers most of the roof, while the top-of-the range $52,990 GT gets a more powerful diesel engine, revised front suspension and a colour head-up display.

Bi-xenon headlights with adaptive beams cost an extra $2000. The headlights use a camera to detect oncoming cars and dim the high beams.

Satellite navigation is also an option, costing $1500 on both models.

Safety is taken care of with six airbags and stability control on all models.

The 508 doesn't have the rear seat acreage to compete with a Commodore or even a Skoda Superb, but it does have a decent amount of rear leg and head room for a mid-sized sedan (its 100mm longer than the outgoing 407). A big boot with a ski port and split-fold access qualifies the sedan as a genuine family hauler, while the wagon's load area is equally generous with the rear seats folded flat. Not so generous is the cubby-hole storage space. The glovebox is small, the centre console even smaller.

We drove the Allure model first and it felt solid and composed for the most part, although it prefers sweeping bends to hairpin turns. It demonstrated impressive grip on the patchy wet surfaces encountered on the drive program through Victoria's Black Spur, but the lazy steering and soft suspension detracted from the enjoyment factor on tighter turns. The ride at high speeds was comfortable and the car settled reassuringly after bumps.

The 2.0-litre diesel, which puts out 120kW and 340Nm of torque, was quiet, refined and delivered respectable performance, although the six-speed transmission, if left in normal mode, was a little too eager to change up a gear at times. On tighter, twistier roads it was better to switch to sport mode, which held gears longer and kept the engine in its sweet spot better. There are also paddles, for those who would rather pick their own gears. Fuel consumption is a claimed 5.7 litres per 100km.

The 2.2-litre diesel in the GT is a more potent unit, putting out 150kW and 450Nm of torque, but using exactly the same amount of fuel according to Peugeot figures. The company says the smaller four-cylinder offers better performance than the old 2.7-litre V6 in the 607 (and now in the Ford Territory) while reducing CO2 emissions by 33 per cent. It's certainly a punchy unit. There's a bit of lag off the mark as the turbo spools up, but in-gear acceleration is impressive. The more powerful engine and sports-tuned double-wishbone front suspension make the GT a far more involving prospect on a country road. It sits flatter through corners and turns in more eagerly at speed. The suspension does, however, feel a bit busy at slower speeds on patchy surfaces.

Peugeot will add a fuel-sipping smaller capacity diesel and a turbocharged petrol engine to the range later this year, and the latter model will be priced aggressively at $36,990 plus on-roads. The company is predicting a modest 1000 sales a year for the 508, so it's hardly going to have Ford and Holden quaking in their boots. Its combination of a classy cabin and a reasonably sharp price may, however, prove a tempting alternative to the established mid-sized Euro and Japanese sedans.

Last edited by csv8; 26-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Peugots Falcon Commodore Rival. And its DIESEL!!!

2.2TD stats look pretty good..
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would rather a Kia optima this looks a little dull
Old 15-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice. Should have a few odd touches like any other French car, but that's part of the charm of them.

I do notice it's got the same "droop nose" stance of a lot of new cars...the FG Falcon included...which is required for pedestrian safety regulations in a lot of the world. I'm surprised the Commodore sells overseas so well as it's got a more "upright" nose than the Falcon.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i don't think there's anyone in the world who is a falcon/commodore buyer who would go, yeah, i think a frogmobile will be a sensible alternative yeah
Old 15-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is also the Renault Latitude!!! Similar vehicle, built by Samsung!!
Old 15-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
i don't think there's anyone in the world who is a falcon/commodore buyer who would go, yeah, i think a frogmobile will be a sensible alternative yeah
What he said ^^
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
i don't think there's anyone in the world who is a falcon/commodore buyer
Edited for truth.

I think Ford and Holden would be shaking in their boots that theres another competitor stepping into the arena, Ford have a hard enough time selling the Falcon as it is with just the Commodore.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Edited for truth.

I think Ford and Holden would be shaking in their boots that theres another competitor stepping into the arena, Ford have a hard enough time selling the Falcon as it is with just the Commodore.
looking at the profit taking (or lack of it)earlier for the commy i suspect they would be in the same boat.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Edited for truth.

Lol do you honestly think that Ford or Holden buyers would swap their XR6T or SS for a TD frogmobile? If so you are delusional.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Companies are looking hard at fuel bills..
They MAY think a diesel is a better option ??
Euro cars just don't seem to have a good auto
like Falcon / Commodore or even the Jap cars...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
Lol do you honestly think that Ford or Holden buyers would swap their XR6T or SS for a TD frogmobile? If so you are delusional.
Who said anything about swapping? Its about potential customers.
Old 15-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
billy302

I'm not showing this to my wife. She will tell me she wants one.
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok..same difference mate..you would not cross shop those cars..maybe a Ford Mondeo Titanium TD but XR6/T and SV6, SS are safe..nobody is going to cross shop a sexy performance car against an ugly looking TD frogmobile.
Old 15-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
Ok..same difference mate..you would not cross shop those cars..maybe a Ford Mondeo Titanium TD but XR6/T and SV6, SS are safe..nobody is going to cross shop a sexy performance car against an ugly looking TD frogmobile.
I completely agree, but you'd cross shop against a base model XR6.
Old 15-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #16
mcnamg

Many people who buy large cars are not enthusiasts they just need the space and dont want an SUV so if they see a percieved premium alternative for similar money I can definately see people moving from Ford/Holden to these look at how many people buy Camries that used to buy Ford/Holden.

Not everyone cares about 0-100 or Horsepower
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Saying this is targeted at the Commodore and Falcon is a bit of a misnomer. The Toyota Aurion on the other hand, well, if I were Toyota i'd be a bit concerned...so too with the entry level Audi and VW sedans.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own a Pug (307 wagon), but wouldn't buy one of these over the Falcon. The 307 had a much higher level of standard features over the Falcon at the time of purchase (2006), but they're pretty much on par these days, so it would be difficult to look past the Falcon to the 508. The only real advantage the Pug would have is diesel, but the EcoBoost and LiLPG should (hopefully) see to that.
Old 16-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #19
kpcart
Banned

2.0td family car 120kw and 340nm
similar specs to 4.1 family car in 80s (falcon)
half the size engine and fuel is only 5.7l/100km instead of 16l/100km

still i wouldnt give my money to the french. everything they make is overpriced, as they feel they are a class above everyone else, which doesnt work in this modern world. look at champaigne (french wine). its priced the way it is because it is from champaigne is france, and is supposedly high class. yet you can buy better australian sparkling wine for 1/4 the price. (try yellowglen or other moderate price aussie sparkling side by side with moet, have someone pour the wine into glasses and do a blind test, you will get a huge surprise) french resteraunts, patisseries etc, yes they are nice, but overpriced. I teach music in a rich western suburbs boys school in perth. all the kids are forced to learn french, to keep up this upper-class french stereotype, and all the kids HATE learning it. it makes me laugh seeing the french teacher stressed everyday because none of the kids take the subject seriously and just muck around in class!
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The 2.2-litre diesel in the GT is a more potent unit, putting out 150kW and 450Nm of torque, but using exactly the same amount of fuel according to Peugeot figures. The company says the smaller four-cylinder offers better performance than the old 2.7-litre V6 in the 607 (and now in the Ford Territory) while reducing CO2 emissions by 33 per cent.
Technology marches on, the PSA TCDI 2.2 I-4 that's also used in Euro Mondeo
is an impressive unit and certainly produces the goods with 150 Kw and 450 nm...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #21
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Technology marches on, the PSA TCDI 2.2 I-4 that's also used in Euro Mondeo
is an impressive unit and certainly produces the goods with 150 Kw and 450 nm...
That's the motor that should have gone into the Falcon IMO, not that I don't think that the EcoBoost will cope, but look at that torque! That would haul some serious *** in the real world & would have me at a dealership quick smart! But alas, we must stick to the promise of 90% EcoBoost by 20__ I suppose...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
Yes I do.

XR8 to 206 GTi. So who's delusional? Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean nobody else would.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #23
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Yes I do.

XR8 to 206 GTi. So who's delusional? Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean nobody else would.

Agreed..
I drive the wife's peugeot 206 more than I drive my fairlane...
Quite a good car really...
If this new pug is as good as or better than the falcon, then it's an easy decision...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #24
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Yes I do.

I had a feeling you'd comment on that after i posted it lol. Honestly though sure on the odd occasion but the two aren't cars that you cross shop. If you're looking to buy an XR6T or SS you aren't going to go to Peugeot and look at a 508.
Old 16-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
I had a feeling you'd comment on that after i posted it lol. Honestly though sure on the odd occasion but the two aren't cars that you cross shop. If you're looking to buy an XR6T or SS you aren't going to go to Peugeot and look at a 508.
I just looked up prices and the 508 starts around $41K and runs Otto $55K for the 2.2 DT...
Hmm, you can get a G6ET for that price or maybe a G6E with EcoLPI for much less...

For base models the 508 with 1.6 DT Vs XR6 with EcoLPI is pretty much a no contest in my books,
I'm sure some will buy the 508 but there will be no mass exodus from Ford or Holden...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

There will be no mass exodus from anywhere, big French cars never sell.

I'd expect this thing to struggle to sell in triple figures for the year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #27
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
People from this forum maybe not but ask the real world and you will be suprised I recon.

Alot of wifes out their driving what their husbands have suggested to buy.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #28
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it probably hurts a few people to know that there are other countries that can screw together a competant and well put together large car. I don't mean America...most of thier cars are "built to a price", and it shows. European stuff is a different kettle of fish.

As for front drive, I too used to be of the opinion that the only car is a rear-drive car...but as motoring writers say, today you would be hard-pressed to pick the difference. I'll qualify that: 90% of drivers wouldn't pick the difference, and probably 99% would never even think to ask "is this front wheel drive?"...it just doesn't come into the equation when someone is asking about cars features. I drive my sons new Aurion, and I have to admit that while it's got that "just a lump of car" styling and the interior could be a bit less bland, the seats are very nice, the ride quiet, and the overtaking very good. Gone are the old torque steer days of yore when you could immediately pick a front wheel drive by the savage tug on the wheel when you floor it.
Not everyone drives around and tries to spin the back wheels or hang the rear out...the simply vast majority of drivers just want a car that's comfortable, steers nicely, and stops safely with a few good features.

if they can manage to price a car like this well without it being artifically inflated by taxes, it should do well.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #29
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think it's a nice looking car with a decent amount of kit included.

I think it will takes sales from the more premium largish cars personally.

Is that 2.2L diesel in the same family of engines as the 2.0 I wonder? Those figures are remarkable.

After owning a diesel for half a year I will be looking for another oil burner should I be buying another new car, just love the charachteristics of the engine and the ultra low consumption.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #30
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
As for front drive, I too used to be of the opinion that the only car is a rear-drive car...but as motoring writers say, today you would be hard-pressed to pick the difference ... Gone are the old torque steer days of yore when you could immediately pick a front wheel drive by the savage tug on the wheel when you floor it.
That is due to turbo lag in the turbo diesel cars. When the turbo comes on song, there is still torque steer and the sensation of being pushed back in to your seat.