Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #31
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dealership oil, yes or Nah....

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Umm, I am taking my car to a dealership and it has been to a dealership it's entire life from new by me !!.

Ever heard the phrase once bitten twice shy ?, I've had my fair share of very incompetent service from my local Ford dealership, so much so that I refuse to set foot in the place and hence why I travel over an hr and half to get the annual service done via another Ford Dealer. To which I researched and asked many I trust to get an understanding on who is in actual fact a better reliable Dealership for factory servicing.

I could easily just take it to an independent locally but I choose to stay with the factory servicing, but in saying that that doesn't mean I don't have the right to be cautious and check things. I like to know that the money I am handing over for a service, is actually being done and I don't have to yet again have to seek elsewhere due to mistrust.

I don't believe that anyone of us here would feel any different about trust and want to check things after a service/job was done if they had been rorted once or twice before, no different to being stung wrongly by lets say your bank in your mortgage, lets say they have been overcharging you for years and you've only just recently found out ?, like you wouldn't go seeking for that reimbursement and from that moment on moving forward you wouldn't pay special attention to your future bills or check every now and then so that it wasn't still happening ???

What's the difference in the scenarios ?, once bitten twice shy.

I find it quite amusing that some people don't claim to be paranoid and like to say just trust your mechanic ...... well the next time you get over charged on a bill, a power bill, gas bill or what ever. I say just chill and take it on the chin as you claim you can and let it go.
You have obviously never had your pride and joy spotted with 4 mechanics in it out getting lunch and called by your daughter to say, Dad where is your car today. yes it was a nice performance Falcon with recaros , ripper exhaust and expensive wheels and tyres and it was in for service at the local dealership. When i got it back all the radio stations had been retuned and the seat settings adjusted.
I got the service free ( i had already supplied the oil ) but it left a nasty taste and never returned. However there are good workshops in the area , Pitlane Motors but one (thanks Ratter ) who i do trust. I was once one of the sheep who thought a dealer was the optimum place to go but no more. My FPV GTs never saw the dealer in 15 years except for warranty and even then they buggered one repair up and it had to go back.
Yes that dealer stamp looks good on the service book but i know from personal experience they are not all they are cracked up to be, and to reinforce my answer to your original question , Yes i supply my own oil to any workshop or dealership i trusted. To each their own i am amazed you just seem to be paranoid about everything not just servicing and i never said take it on the chin and let it go but i will say if you get burnt dont go back.Find a dealer you trust and stick with them and don't ask for advice if your going to pull it to pieces.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #32
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could fill terabytes with my experience at a north western Sydney ford dealer, and crap service on my company and fleet vehicles, all I can say is if using a dirty container to decant oil is your biggest fear you haven’t experienced dealer ship service.

I’m a heavy plant mechanic and do the servicing on mine and my family’s cars, except while they are under NCW and then I take it to a good local mechanic, I don’t bother taking my own oil and parts, if Matt says he used X oil and filters then I have no problem believing that Matt and his guys fitted X oil and filters

Find your self a good fix it shop and forget the dealers,

Good mechanics rarely stay at dealers

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #33
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i do my own. i have done since my teens. ive saved a stack of money, and stuffing around getting the car to the machinic and picking up. i can do a change in 30 to 45 minutes, fill out the service records book, done.
imo, its super easy to do yourself.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: