Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Uni

Default Looking for bar/pub work; advice needed

well, it's come time for me to get off my lazy **** and get a job. i've done an RSA and im half way through a 4 day bar course which covers beer pulling spirit mixing and cocktail making, plus some general bartending rules like managing the till and so on

my question is twofold, as i know quite a few of you have done bar work before..

1. what else should i know, are there any tricks that managers use to catch their staff out (i already know about the extra money in the tote trick ) and is there any other advice you can give to someone starting out at this

2. in looking for a job, should i grab whatever i can, perhaps as a glassie at a good pub, or jump straight into barman work at a quieter local pub and get experience before jumping into something a little busier?

cheers
Uni/.

Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

i work in a club and if you start as a glassy, and if you work hard normaly bussys suck and are lazy but if you work hard and start taking over you find yourself in the bar in a few weeks. then while your a glassy you ask the boss if you can do a trial shift in the bar on a slow night unpayed and you will find yourself behind bar quickly
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Uni

an unpaid night of work to get the foot in the door, that's not a bad idea..

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
FordFan86
meow

eb91 has the right idea.
I have a couple of friends who are bar staff (one has her gaming licence now and could practically run the joint) the other is just a barman. He started off by going to the place and getting known, plenty of live music and that's what he was into (the gov for any south aussies), asked if he could help out a bit and started off as a glassie... easy work but if you keep going at it and show yourself you should be lucky enough as he was to get some full-er time work behind the bar.
Goodluck with it.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
Doctor Sodways
South African Drift King

Gotta love the gov, awesome live music venue, nice effort to your mate too.

One hint, its not what you know its who you know, if you know someone in the industry it can help to get a foot in the door

WWW.BRASSMUNKYMEDIA.COM.AU
Doctor Sodways is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
FordFan86
meow

Yeah he did it for awhile but has trouble sticking to things.. I think he installs air con units now :\
Knowing people can only get you so far, at times that piece of paper may come in handy... practical experience + piece of paper + knowing people = for the win.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

If you do it, use the bar job as a means to an end to go further, and move out of it ASAP. As laws get tighter and tighter with RSA, the owness is on you to judge and read people and cop the badside of booze and people.
I am RSA approved for my job in the Security Industry (QLD and NSW), and I try to avoid that kind of work alltogether.
Remember, if YOU make a mistake, not just the establishment, but YOU are liable too.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post