Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-02-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Synchronising my new 3 phone (LG U880) with my computer

Hopefully someone can help me before I crack it.

I just got a new 3 phone (LG U880), and I have just finished installing all the software and drivers.

It was working fine, I put some Mp3's on and all was good. then I went out and ame back, pluged the phone in, the computer knows its there but when I click on connect (synchronise) it comes up with an error and wont make the connection.

I tried re-installing the drivers but that didn't help.

In the example (help section) they have a COM port to use the USB cable. The example looks like this below:

And this is my connections list: As you can see nothing in COM15 or any of the other COMS (it goes up to 256) it was defaulted on COM4 but it doesn't work the second time around.

Ive looked through my COM port options and not one has the USB option next to it.

Can anyone help? The LG site is useless, and I know if I call 3 they wont have a clue.

It has a MP3 player so I wanted to send some songs across etc etc :

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Danny
GT4.

I've always had troubles installing and using phone software on computers. My old Nokia 6670 Was a ИИИИИ to install because the software was dodgy and had engrish laced through it. It also never paseed windows authenticity testing, and therefore I used to cop errors and "your new hardware was not installed properly" rah rah rah.

Same deal with the software on my New Samsung D600. Phones that you'd think you wouldnt have dramas with, however for some reason Mobs software is dodgy. I can't work it out.

In saying that, Are your USB ports USB II enhanced. If your computers kind of old, they may be too dated to be able to transfer huge data loads like this.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
I've always had troubles installing and using phone software on computers. My old Nokia 6670 Was a ИИИИИ to install because the software was dodgy and had engrish laced through it. It also never paseed windows authenticity testing, and therefore I used to cop errors and "your new hardware was not installed properly" rah rah rah.
Wierd.. I have a 6670 so does a good mate, we both set them up at the same time.. downloaded the software from nokia, installed, plugged in phone, blam.. works perfectly.

As for the 3 phone have you tryed plugging it into different USB ports? and rebooting phone + PC?
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

I have a nokia 3230 and the only troubles i have had is sometimes it wont pick up the phone but all i have to do is un-plug it then plug it back in again and it works fine.

Although i tried to set up my Dads LG phone onto his laptop and i couldnt get that phone working on there... Hopefully you can get yours working
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sometimes the phone needs the reboot instead of the PC ... many problems fixed by our MTSC department in Optus is "Handset Power-cycled - service working".
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGT05
I have a nokia 3230 and the only troubles i have had is sometimes it wont pick up the phone but all i have to do is un-plug it then plug it back in again and it works fine.
Yep, Theyre the troubles I had once the fiasco of the initial installation was over. It never worked properly.

Samsungs Install was a little shaky, But now its fine
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
jonk

The prob' you've got is what I've experienced before. Just fix it by downloading the latest driver/software from via LG.

All second tier phone manufacturer's tend to be in a hurrry to ship out 1st versions of the software to compete head on with stuff on the market place; what I'm trying to say is their coding is sloppy, very sloppy.

Don't worry about COM ports either, just stick to the USB stuff.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ok cheers guys.

ill try finding up to date drivers and see if that helps

Just very odd that it worked first go and then not after.

I had a nokia that I brought some stuff of ebay for...never worked!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

UPDATE:

Problem solved...found this link

http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/archive/...p/t-31564.html

didn't even have to update teh drivers. All I did was turn the phone off, plug it in and then turn the phone back on. The go to configurations and choose the USB option.

Sweeeeet
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #10
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

My Sony Ericsson always works on my computer, perhaps nokia sucks.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #11
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
My Sony Ericsson always works on my computer, perhaps nokia sucks.
perhaps?? :hihi: Sony Ericsson all the way for me too :sm_headba
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ok now that its working..anyone know where I can download games and cool stuff like that?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #13
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

Hey Polyal, I have the LG U880 as well and I am very happy with it.
You can download games from Limewire, just search for "Java Games".
If you purchase This Program you can transfer games and the like to the Games & Apps folder on your phone.

When you find that the computer wont connect to your phone, simply restart your phone and that should normally help.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post