Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-12-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Car choice for daughter , Beema MAD!

Ok, here's my problem.. My 17 yr old daughter who is due to get her licence next yr is hell bent on getting a Bemma. And she is Also doggedly determined to buy before ( read NOW!) she gets her licence so that she has experience driving in her own car.
She has picked out numerous 1993, 94 318's for around the $10,000 mark. She has 8 or 9k saved. One example here... http://www.autotrader.com.au/photodi...number=5743967

Am I right in discouraging her in looking at 11 or 12 yr old cars? (The above example has 119,000ks by the way) I have also tried further discouragement by informing her of the insurance on a BMW (around $1200 even in My name) But she won't be swayed! For last 12 months she has been learning in her Mum's Mazda 3 & DOES drive very well.
I have suggested Corollas, 323's, Pulsars,etc... But NOOOO... "I want a Beema"
Any advice appreciated guys!

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're likely to cost a bit when things start going wrong with it as it gets older. She'd be much better off getting a decent used Jap car. She should definitely wait till she gets her licence before she gets the car as the rego, the (pricey) insurance etc will be wasted as she will have fewer opportunities to drive it.

Just make it clear she's paying for the car, purchase and upkeep. Also, it's better to go for a better example of that year model rather than a cheaper one that will have higher K's and possibly be in worse condition.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW's are quite expensive to maintain aswell.

Really it is her choice though since she is paying for it, just make sure that she knows that extra costs will be involved in owning a BMW. Financially she would be better off in something else though, but then BMW's are decent cars and are fairly reliable too
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Just did a quote through RACQ for a female that's 18 years old on a 1994 BMW E36 318i with 4 speed auto, bog stock. Rating 1 No Claim Bonus and Hire Car option. Just licenced.

$3375.80 per year for insurance. Then take into account running costs, servicing (which won't be cheap), registration.

It will be quite an expensive first car. Try to talk her out of it, and get something remotely affordable.
Old 14-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let her do it. After 12 months of her realising all her money is going into a POS BMW she'll come around.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I should have listened to my parent when I brought my first car...but of course I ignored them and made my mistake..which cost me.

So, try your hardest to discourage her..get a brand new fiesta or something like that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #7
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think its better to learn to drive well rather than looking cool to her friends.
Old 14-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Hrmmm.....I'd be trying to talk her into saving a bit more and putting that into real estate such that she'll be able to afford a later model Beema a bit further down the track totally on her own.
Old 14-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a '99 Mazda 323 Auto 1.8 would be good buy too! /plug :P
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_RAVEN
i think its better to learn to drive well rather than looking cool to her friends.
Just to add to that... She is a real petrol head, and DOES know her cars! As some of you will remember she was always at Calder with me, with the Pursuit. (and is constantly at me with what mods I should be doing to the Turbo)
Her Beema reasons are German build quality, value for money over a jap, and BMW safety.....So, I don't think it's just the "cool look" with her friends.
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 14-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #11
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Am I right in discouraging her in looking at 11 or 12 yr old cars? (The above example has 119,000ks by the way) I have also tried further discouragement by informing her of the insurance on a BMW (around $1200 even in My name) But she won't be swayed! For last 12 months she has been learning in her Mum's Mazda 3 & DOES drive very well.
I have suggested Corollas, 323's, Pulsars,etc... But NOOOO... "I want a Beema"
Any advice appreciated guys!
An inexperienced driver in a car like that is just asking for heartbreak. Even spending a third of that and leaving the rest in the bank will give her time to experience the little things that can go wrong. Whether it be in a car park, or driving in traffic, anything is possible. When she has to fork out the appropriate sum of money to fix damage incurred driving in peak-hour traffic, or a smashed window from a rock thrown up (or being broken into in a carpark), or worse, having it stolen....then perhaps she will know that Dad was right, and knew what he was blabbering about after all.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just to add to that... She is a real petrol head, and DOES know her cars! As some of you will remember she was always at Calder with me, with the Pursuit. (and is constantly at me with what mods I should be doing to the Turbo)
Her Beema reasons are German build quality, value for money over a jap, and BMW safety.....So, I don't think it's just the "cool look" with her friends.
well if its for those reasons, its sounds alot better but if i was to buy a beamer i'd go for a 525i there just a better car and engine.
Old 14-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #13
jcxr
Tribal Elder

As i read it, you want a car for your daughter. Quite a good deal that.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #14
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW? Blum'in Money Waster, how about a cool XM or XP? way cooler than a bmw (dont mind those M series tho). Friends had about a 10 year old beema and the timing belt went in it, new pistons, new valves, basically a rebuild, LOTS of $ if she really wants safety a 'gasp' volvo? but i didnt say that
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #15
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't percieve the lower BMW models (like the 318i) as being good value for money. It's only as they get into mid/higher models that they start to stand up to scrutiny for the asking price. At that end of the market a sports/luxury Jap 4 cyl would make better sense for the money. Well put together on the whole and can be classed in the same category as the BMW. Sure, the Beemer might be ahead in some areas, but for how much more?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #16
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

I bought a 94 Fairmont Ghia, and I am paying a sh*t load in insurance. But you know what? I dont give a damn... Its my car, I picked it and I pay for it.

If its what she wants, then she will probably tolerate the higher insurance etc. also, a German engineered Beemer is bound to last longer than an e-series of similar age :P

Just make sure she pays for it. My mum has never put a cent into my car, and it has taught me a lot about balancing finances.

BTW... how olds your daughter? ;)

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Remind her of the German built in oil leaks.

If she wants value for money AND German try a VW.

As for safety according to 'Choice' magazine that year BMW is only average (10th from the top).
Top of the list for safety is the 1999-2003 BMW. Second is the N series Fairlane.

If she's only 17 what kind of insurance would she be paying for a BMW?
Old 14-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #18
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
If she's only 17 what kind of insurance would she be paying for a BMW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Just did a quote through RACQ for a female that's 18 years old on a 1994 BMW E36 318i with 4 speed auto, bog stock. Rating 1 No Claim Bonus and Hire Car option. Just licenced.

$3375.80 per year for insurance.
I did it for 18 years old just as a gauge.
Old 14-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #19
EA2BA
PM me if you want

10K will buy almost any demo small car from any of the jap makers, you get 3 years warranty to boot, so why buy an old car.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
I did it for 18 years old just as a gauge.
AARRGGHH!! you could buy another car for that
Old 14-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #21
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
AARRGGHH!! you could buy another car for that
I know.

Like I said before, talk her out of it and get something that's affordable to run.
Old 14-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #22
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Hi Charlie, i have met your daughter, dont get her an old beema.... get her a new one...lol.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #23
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Hi Charlie, i have met your daughter, dont get her an old beema.... get her a new one...lol.
Gidday Mark... Her original idea was ... "Dad, you'd LOVE a new Typhoon, buy one and I'll have the XR6T" !!....
"And I'll just take the Turbo badge off for my Ps" followed by... "How much would edit cost me"
Old 14-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #24
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Gidday Mark... Her original idea was ... "Dad, you'd LOVE a new Typhoon, buy one and I'll have the XR6T" !!....
"And I'll just take the Turbo badge off for my Ps" followed by... "How much would edit cost me"
That's funny as hell.
Old 14-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #25
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

let her buy it, rego it, insure it, fix it....

just supply the tissues for later on.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 05:16 PM   #26
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Can she afford to run and maintain it and still have a little left over to save? If so then let her do it on the condition that she does not look to you for a handout if she's finding herself short of money.

Of course the smart thing to do is to get a reliable heap for 3-5K and save the rest towards real estate etc but how many 17yo's think that way?

Good luck.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 05:32 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason old BMWs are cheap is the maintenance. The electronics are not designed to last a squillion years. The same problem will become apparent in 2015 with BAs.

If her lovely BMW spits one of the several dozen CPUs it wil cost $lots, avg price $5k.

But she is female and logic never enters the equation. It will be all about how she will look in it and how good the six stacker CD sounds and how well her clothes and accessories match the colour of the car.
She will not admit this and will tell you what she thinks you want to hear. AS I said she is female. Young males just want whatever and are not clever enough to lie.....

I had almost the same problem when mine turned 17. I bought he a UC torana that she managed to run into almost every non moving object in Australia. Luckily it just bounced off.

Good luck and make sure your wife does not back her up or else you will get the silver medal.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #28
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

It's a no win situation.... :

I wanted a V6 Capri for my first car..... had been driving and fixing cars for years by that stage.

But the old man came down hard (won't repeat what he said!)
I got shuffled in to a 1980 Datsun Sunny...... hey..... stop laughing!!!

At the end of the day, I would have written myself, and maybe a friend or two, off in the Capri.

The old Dato did well and I learnt to drive and to keep my money so I could buy what I really wanted.... the EB!

D:
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #29
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I was forced into a 1979 XD ghia. No power steering, no heater or air con, and I had to pay all the costs associated with running it.

My father didn't see the point in buying me a newer car to have as a first car, no matter how good he thought I was as a driver.

Little things like scraping a pole in a car park cost plenty of money to fix.

My friends' parents went to opposite way and bought them a brand new car.
After 3 months on her P's one of their daughters drove it through their garage, across the chook yard, through the back fence and into the back of their neighbours house.
She was pinned by a floor beam to the chest and had to be cut out of the car.

All their arguments about how much "safer" their car was compared to mine went out the window.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #30
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
I've seen Mizz Pursuit too, I'de say buy her anything that she wont be able to whip the old man in! (especially that the old man has a manual T5...lol)

Experience has always shown that the 1st car is really something you can gain experience in, not just driving but looking after it. Something cheapish you can get used to, live a little while you're still young and buy a better one for the 2nd car, as much as the 1st car would like to be a better one...
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post