Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
GTHOXR8

Default Diy Service V Dealer Service

I have an AU series 1 and have always had it dealer serviced mainly because of the log book and also was'nt keen to do it myself becuase of the computer diagnostics and complicated stuff like that.

I am thinking of doing all my own servicing now and saving a squid or two
Given the low resale value I don't think it will make much difference having log books.

Does anyone know what actually happens at a dealer service with all the diagnostic stuff. Does it actually fix anything. I used to do all my own timing back in the good old days with a dizzy and points but what happens now with electronic timing? Does it ever need adjusting?
Any other electronics stuff I need to know about if I self service.

Any info, as usual greatly appreciated.

GTHOXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so long as you regular change oil, fuel and air filters, clean the throttle body once in a while, and change the leads and plugs every 60000, you shouldn't have a problem. While you do all this disconnect your batery and when finished reconnect it and go through the learning mode with it and it will be the grouse. (battery disconnection will reset the computer and fault codes)
Go to this address http://www.aufalcon.com/aufalcon.htm
and select "workshop" then scroll down to
" Correct procedures after battery reconnection (by LG)"
and you should be set.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
GTHOXR8

Just looked up the site and read through. I had no idea of such things.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, get yourself a workshop manual, so you can diagnose other problems, and decide to either fix it yourself, or 'contract' the repairs out to a workshop!
Old 02-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Plug & leads

[QUOTE=howesy]so long as you regular change oil, fuel and air filters, clean the throttle body once in a while, and change the leads and plugs every 60000, you shouldn't have a problem.

Plugs every 60,000? Unless they were irridiums they wouldn't be firing too well. I believe Ford recommends 30,000km, but they also recommend 50,000km auto gearbox oil change & 15,000km for engine oil(series 11 & 111), what a joke!

Leads usually last to 100,000 until they start to fail.The auto gearbox oil is cactus after about 25,000km city driving due to the shallow oil pan. Engine oil should be changed at 10,000km maximum, 5,000km preferred. Racecraft did a great maintenance thread a while back, cant remember off hand the name of the thread . Find that & you will be set.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I service mine myself at the dealer
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #7
GTHOXR8

Thanks for all the tips.
Bottom line is - no great need for any diagnostic stuff?
Old 02-04-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHOXR8
Thanks for all the tips.
Bottom line is - no great need for any diagnostic stuff?
No they never even get one near the car in a std service.

Just do the obvious stuff yourself, oil change filters spark plugs etc.

only Spiro at Autotech gets to touch my car apart from me.

Ford service ! how can you put those two words together
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

The servicing what and when is a sticky guys, you can't miss it!
Old 03-04-2006, 02:21 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I take mine to Crescent Motors when it needs more works than I can do myself ... most of the bsic stuff is done at home ... saves me so much money.

Especially oil changes ... as I have to change mine once a month with the amount of mileage I do.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post