Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Is there a way of testing the cluster?

Just wondering ... my fuel gauge has been giving me the ИИИИs lately.
It goes from Full to empty and back again (many times per day).
I have been doing extensive testing between the tanks and the loom which goes into the back of the cabin of the ute.

I have re-earthed the loom to make sure it is all working fine.

Another issue I have been having with the cluster is that the backlight on the odometer LCD display has beeing "half working" intermittently ... and now tonight the backlight has died altogether.

The fuel gauge is now showing empty with fuel light on (while the driver's side tank is just under half full and the passenger side tank is full).

The needle on the fuel gauge though lifts slightly when I turn the car on ... but stays within the red region of Empty.

Also when i had the intermittently backlight issue where one side would die ... I'd flick the casing of the cluster right in front of the odometer and the light would flick back on again .... it doesn't respond to this anymore.

Is it a case of get myself another cluster and plug it in and away I go (after getting my odometer reading setup correctly)??? Or can I test it another way.

How cheap do standard SII clusters go for????
And who does the odometer change ... Ford i presume???

Any help is appreciated.

Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Personally if i had that problem i would take out the cluster and make sure the plug is in properly.
its pretty easy to remove it, just two screws on the top and then use the kilometer reset thingie to gently pull it out enough to get something in there.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Did that yesterday as well .... I took the cluster out and reseated both plugs in the rear on the cluster. I turned the ignition to ON when I had the cluster out after reseating plugs and all worked ... even the damn fuel gauge.

Meh.

I used a screwdriver rubber handle from behind up under the fuse box to pop the cluster out with. ;)
Old 01-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
SIKSIX
Its gone V

So have you got the bug fixed?
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Nope ... still have issues ... the gauge worked fine after I reseated plugs ... and re-earthed the loom along the chassis rail at the rear of the ute (where the tank gauge looms connect to the rest of the loom) .... it worked for about 10 km of driving ... then it started playing up again.

Now no backlight on the LCD ... I am not having fun with it.

I am thinking I'll try and look for a replacement cluster and see how that goes .... I guess I could test it before buying it ... if that's possible.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I would say that this may be releated to two seperate issues. Your fuel gauge problem may be related to the fuel sender. If it does say 0, it may just be a faulty sender unit.

With your IC lights, have you tried replacing the globes?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Fuel senders are brand new ... and so are the floats in both the tanks.

The problem is my fuel guage goes to Full as well ... when it's not full ... and sits up there for ages ... then decides to go to empty again.
I haven't had a chance to pull the cluster again ... but will soon though.

Was kinda annoying ... especially when doing long distance work yesterday ... drove from Sydney to Inverell .... then Glen Innes ... then Armidale ... back to Tamworth ... then back home again in the one day.