Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-03-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Approx. Power increase from extractors?

Thinking about extractors for my AU1 6.. I had extractors on my V6 Commodore and apparently got a gain of about 13% from the extractors alone.

What sort of increase in % and kw should I get from a set of decent extractors?

The only mod Iv got is a Tickford Snorkel.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 12:54 AM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

i couldn't say an exact Kw increase , but generally if you want the full potential from the extractors you should look at matching the exhaust , allowing the extractors to breath/extract propperlly, i'de still say expect a bit of difference , but no where near the full potential of the extractors without an exhaust that matches the back pressure the extractors will output . Matching extractors for top performance can be 'fun and games..not !' getting things spot on to the engine/exhaust setup you have or plan on changing to suit the extractors ! ...anyway ... Someone else here might have added some sort of extractors to a standard engine and exhaust setup , maybe they can give you a bit more info on the results, cheers , gl ;)

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 01:37 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Thinking about extractors for my AU1 6.. I had extractors on my V6 Commodore and apparently got a gain of about 13% from the extractors alone.

Somewhere between 0 and 10% (ie max about 12rwkw). If you fit extractors but keep the stock cats back system, then you will get closer to 0 than 10. A full mandrel bent 2.5 or 3" system (plus the extractors) should see gains closer to 10%. The only way to know for sure is to get a dyno run directly before the extractors are fitted, and one directly after. This will give you a reasonable indication of the power increase.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Good question. I havent seen dyno figures with extractors alone.Most people do both.However Stiddy on the forums has achieved 137 rwkws with just a 3inch exhaust. I have seen an AU pull 127 rwkws on a dyno with extractors and exhaust. Jonbays with dyno sheets gained 15 rwkws with full exhaust from standard. If Stiddy's xr6 is worth considering ,then an exhaust will do more for you than extractors.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Good question. I havent seen dyno figures with extractors alone.Most people do both.However Stiddy on the forums has achieved 137 rwkws with just a 3inch exhaust. I have seen an AU pull 127 rwkws on a dyno with extractors and exhaust. Jonbays with dyno sheets gained 15 rwkws with full exhaust from standard. If Stiddy's xr6 is worth considering ,then an exhaust will do more for you than extractors.

Good point ! - imo i recon your better off to change the exhaust before doing exractors (if your not going to do them at the same time), personal choice , but as i said earlier - having extractors with just the standard exhaust still won't help the extractors work/extract propperly, allthough enlarging the exhaust system and running a single muffler setup for example will help the standard outlet manifold to extract better... just my 2 cents worth ;) .

Funny you mentioned the 3" system with no extractors , the old 302's and 351's used to sound quite nice imo ( deep rumble ) with a full stainless 3" system on a totally stock engine ! ..

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Funny you mentioned the 3" system with no extractors , the old 302's and 351's used to sound quite nice imo ( deep rumble ) with a full stainless 3" system on a totally stock engine ! ..
And they still sound good on the EFI 302s.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I scored about 136rwkw from a full exhaust system (2.5" + hi flow cat).

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Well its not a bad mod for a true powe rgain in the vicinity of 10rwkw.

This is what it really did for my car.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...chmentid=11285
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #9
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire

I had the extractors on first & noticed a nice gain. Once the exhaust went on I noticed over double the gain, especially at rev's. I think it is more important to open up the strangled exhaust before worrying about extractors.13% sounds hard to believe. Jonbays dyno graph would be lucky to match that & he has all the good gear comps, cat & free flowing exhaust. Although the buick V6 is very weasy so who knows? The dyno doesn't lie though. Jonbays graph is proof as long as tests are done on the same dyno straight away.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
I had the extractors on first & noticed a nice gain. Once the exhaust went on I noticed over double the gain, especially at rev's. I think it is more important to open up the strangled exhaust before worrying about extractors.13% sounds hard to believe. Jonbays dyno graph would be lucky to match that & he has all the good gear comps, cat & free flowing exhaust. Although the buick V6 is very weasy so who knows? The dyno doesn't lie though. Jonbays graph is proof as long as tests are done on the same dyno straight away.
I did it all at once and the before and after is an honest one same day same dyno and what I would describe as a fair dyno. If i didn't have the money to do it all I would save it up. or maybe I would do the catback first nicer sound good results especially on BA by the way. Then the extractors but maybe with the stock cat if its in good nick. I am not sure the 3" Hi flow cat did any more than make it an easier job for the exhaust shop on the stock engine. When the cam and unichip came along it may have started to amke an impact.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #11
Tri Power 289
Back in the Game!

I have to agree with XR6-VCT-2000. I have done extractors/hi flo cat on my AU III XR6hp Auto but left the rest of the exhaust standard, because I didn't want it any louder. IMO it has made stuff all noticeable difference to either the performance or economy.

I should be able to post a dyno figure shortly showing rwkw with this setup as I am having some work done at Aussie Car / Bluepower and want a baseline figure first.

If noise is not an issue then I would suggest doing cat back first or the whole system if possible. Not just extractors.
70 Mustang Mach1 351 4V/Shaker Auto

Previous forum rides:
XH Falcon Ute 4.0 Auto
BF XR8 5.4 Manual
'88 60 Series Landcruiser Turbo Diesel.
Komatsu 830E Haul Pac- 2500hp, 165tonnes.
AUIII XR6 HP: Prepared by Aussie Car Enhancements & Custom Tuned by Blue Power to a record setting 14.22@96mph.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V :Unfinished business.
Tri Power 289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #12
stiddy
Banned

Loxxr6 your cars a little freaky aswell ;) lol

Id say go for a cat back system first up, and get the extractors 2nd.. if you have enough for the extractors and exhaust to do in one hit, I say do that.

I dont see the point of putting extractors onto an otherwise stock exhaust system.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post