Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Ibrox90
Banned

Default wrecks to riches

Just watched a show on discovery.

Basic run down. guys go to a junk yard and find an old classic this episode they found a 69 Camaro graffitied rolling shell and turned it into a gorgeous car. fully modernised

Last episode the found a 46 or 47 ford cant remember. and restored it.

These guys then sell the car for a HUGE profit.

Interestingly enough the Camaro retailed brand new at $2000 USD and they bought the wreck just a rolling shell for $7000 USD

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Watched it a few times, I like because they do good straight forward high horsepower builds. They don't over PIMP out the vehicles so to speak.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
XKool

Yeah its a pretty good show... I bought 2 box sets (2 series) from JB HiFi

D.
XKool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would prob be one of the best car shows on foxtel

i watched the same on today as well and thought that this would be the first one that he wouldnt make the deadline on

but damn didnt it look hot and the sound from the supersharger was increadable

would have been good to see what that baby run on the 1/4

and would also be good to see if the cars put out the quoted horses/kw that they say the engine would do

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

mate keep an eye out for overhaulin as well, similar concept but chip foose and his gang "steal" somones car and do it up and surprise them with it at the end
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
myxr6
Banned

I watched them put a big block into an original 6cyl ford torino , then cut the original 6cyl springs to get the height they wanted.Why not just buy some new springs.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

wish someone could steal my XR and make it a phoon
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

The whole idea of the show is super muscel cars, old school look with big modern motors and brakes. I have seasons 1 and 2 on dvd, but some of the stuff they do seems to be done dodgey and to make the dead line and budget. Dont get me wrong if I had the money I would love to go to Barry Whites speed shop and get the insane old taxi they build for a customer (you actually see them race it against one of the cars built for the show in one episode)

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Sorry haven't seen the show. Got a link to the DVD's?

Reminds me of another documentary on the guy who invented female sanitary devices, it was called "From Rags to Riches".

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Overhaulin is way better..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Im an overhaulin fan aswell but even they go to far sometimes; I usually hate all the rims they use/design. And they put a token woman on it, you just want to throw a spanner at her.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Overhaulin is way better..
and rides

But they have not made any new ones for a while so as I have been looking for a good car make-over DVD i will pop on down to JB HI FI and get this one

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
bluovl

I know that on 'Wrecks to Riches' they are supposedly running to an always tight deadline but I cringe everytime I see them doing major mechanical work after the car is painted. When they find out something doesnt fit they usually drag out the grinder, especially trimming guard lips.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
Kowalski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
I know that on 'Wrecks to Riches' they are supposedly running to an always tight deadline but I cringe everytime I see them doing major mechanical work after the car is painted. When they find out something doesnt fit they usually drag out the grinder, especially trimming guard lips.
I'm with you on this one. CANNOT believe they paint the car before they even clean the underside. Then again, there's lots of things on these shows that I struggle with.....
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Is it just me but on Overhaulin, the surprise is hardly what I would call a surprise.. Imo they should show the owner a car like their old one..
Then get the owner to check I.D plate.. With the camera fixed on their face as they realise it's their car.. We seem to do a better job here... Back yard blitz, etc...
They often make silly mistakes like buying a rusted Camaro without checking..
But at least the producers don't edit these bits out..
Getting sick of the repeats.. I see Dwayne [ American Hot Rod, Boyd Coddington RIP ] is not that popular at other workshops..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Is it just me but on Overhaulin, the surprise is hardly what I would call a surprise.. Imo they should show the owner a car like their old one..
Then get the owner to check I.D plate.. With the camera fixed on their face as they realise it's their car....
Even that doesn't work. The first episode of series 1 OverHaulin they even had the owner screw his rego plates back onto his "overhauled" car and the penny still didn't drop it was his old car :

I like OverHaulin because there is often a sentimental value to the cars they overhaul. You know, cars that have been passed down from father-to-son or the corvette they dug out from the back of the garage under all that crap because the now middle-aged woman owner had hung onto it as it was her graduation present and things like that.

They even trick Chip Foose in an extended overhaul and make-over the old shop truck (50's F100) using some of his own early sketches. The truck was previously his fathers show truck back in the day and the car Chip learned to drive in, now destined for his own son sometime in the future.
Old 23-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
GeoNazi
Banned

I love this show... Barry and the crew, funnyily enough james morrison interviewed them on a TGA episode.

They get junk cars some times 2 or 3 and make one amaing car. some times he makes money other times he breaks even and something he doesn't sell straght away.. but IMO the bloke that orders the parts and draws the concepts is a fool, if not he is slow in some areas.

I havn't watched it in awhile.
GeoNazi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
GeoNazi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Then get the owner to check I.D plate.. With the camera fixed on their face as they realise it's their car.. We seem to do a better job here... Back yard blitz, etc...
They often make silly mistakes like buying a rusted Camaro without checking..
But at least the producers don't edit these bits out..
Getting sick of the repeats.. I see Dwayne [ American Hot Rod, Boyd Coddington RIP ] is not that popular at other workshops..
I got bored and read the terms and conditions on the website the owners pay the tax owing on the newly installed items.

American Hot Rod I liked this show but it always annoyed me that boyd had no idea about dead lines and the work that is required.. if it wasn't for his team he wouldn't have been so great... Why did he hire and fire people nearly ever month? beyong me. I liked Dwayne and a few others... I hate repeats.

What about the WCC version i forget the name that was alright but only seemed to have 5 weeks worth of shows (5 episodes) befroe getting repeated.. I love that London Chop Shop show, they make some weired and wonderful creations in a short period and unorganised.
GeoNazi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
mcnamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNazi
I got bored and read the terms and conditions on the website the owners pay the tax owing on the newly installed items.

American Hot Rod I liked this show but it always annoyed me that boyd had no idea about dead lines and the work that is required.. if it wasn't for his team he wouldn't have been so great... Why did he hire and fire people nearly ever month? beyong me. I liked Dwayne and a few others... I hate repeats.

What about the WCC version i forget the name that was alright but only seemed to have 5 weeks worth of shows (5 episodes) befroe getting repeated.. I love that London Chop Shop show, they make some weired and wonderful creations in a short period and unorganised.

American Hotrods deadlines do seem a bit fake though as you see a lot of the cars from previous episodes sitting in the background unfinished a lot of the deadline hysteria is for the cameras as it makes compelling TV.

The WCC show is the Street Customs? Season 2 is airing on thursday nights on discovery.
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #20
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't mind overhaulin, probably my favourite. Wrecks to riches is good cause they take cars that have well and truly seen better days and get them back to decent cars. Also loved American Hot Rod, they had some strange characters on that show, mike was a strange one and the old dude who used to do the sheet metal was a classic. Think he passed away though! The classic on Hot Rod was when they got a new guy (who was clueless) to shake a spray can until the ball stopped making a noise before he could use it. Hilarious!! Wheeler dealers ain't bad either. Do I watch to much Foxtel??
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #21
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mikes on overhaulin now. havnt seen wrecks to riches but will look out for it
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #22
macstac
FG XR6 TURBO

Wrecks to Riches are all re-runs at the moment. The season was aired earlier this year. I seem to remember Barry saying that he was only going to do one season of the show too... I think a lot of the cars look good, but I don't like how he puts SMC (Super Muscle Car) logo into the paint on every one. You may also notice that over 50% (my estimate) of the cars for the show are bought by the same guy - Ardell Brown or something like that - coincidence?
macstac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #23
351sean

I hope the guy who had the 1970 "Boss" Mustang on Overhaul'n didn't have too much of a sentimental attachemnt to the car because what he got back was almost a completely new car; complete new front clip, floor pans, at least 1 door, engine, diff etc... Overswapping?

Sean

"There Is No Substitute For Cubic Capacity".
351sean is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #24
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

wrecks to riches is a good show but does any remember pinks thats an awesome show it hasn't been on this year yet i hope it comes back. We should have something similar.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #25
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

Check out Wheeler Dealers...the mechanic Ed, is a true genius while Mike Brewer has got bargining and selling techniques...they buy modern classics that are in running condition for around 3-6k (pounds) and then fix em up and sell them on for a profit!
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post