Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
gunsandguts
Starter Motor

Default Au Falcon cold start problem.

Hi,
I bought an Au falcon after owning many Holden commodores and I must say it's a much better car. It's tough, drives and accelerates smoothly, low road noise and hugs the road and is more stable than the Commodore.

The only problem I had was that it would not start when cold. I had to use the accelerator to get it going. But when The engine was hot it would just start straight away.

I took the car to Ford at Newcastle and they said it was the fuel pump, fuel filter, etc. they charged me over $ 1200 dollars but never fixed the problem. I also noticed that they never replaced the fuel pump. I wanted to report them to the cops but just thought I will never take my car to ford again.

I took the car to two other mechanics that could not fix the problem either. Cost $ 300, and $150. So now it;s cost me about $1650. And I still have the same problem.

As a last resort I looked on this forum and found a post about the crank angle sensor causing a cold star problem. I got a new crank angle sensor for $40 and 10 minutes to fit it. The car starts first time every time now. I wish I had just read this forum before I spent so much time and money with so called professional mechanics.

I love my Au III.

Last edited by gunsandguts; 31-08-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling
gunsandguts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Au Falcon cold start problem.

Hi & welcome to AFF gunsandguts, alot of Falcon owners come to AFF trying to fix things mechanics cant, congrats for finding the problem yourself! A failed cas should've thrown a code, if Ford used a scanner it would've shown. Imo dont let them get away with parts that wasnt replaced & bogus labor charges, it could've been a mistake? - speak to the service manager, show him the lack of parts & work - no joy & if you can prove it, go to Fair Trading. Ah, the joys of car ownership doh!

Hopefully your Au is sorted now & you can enjoy thousands of kays of troublefree motoring. All the best & good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
sednwol

"As a last resort I looked on this forum and found a post about the crank angle sensor causing a cold star problem. I got a new crank angle sensor for $40 and 10 minutes to fit it. The car starts first time every time now. I wish I had just read this forum before I spent so much time and money with so called professional mechanics. "

I'd take the car back to Ford and raise hell. They should have know that!
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
gunsandguts
Starter Motor

Just further to the ford dealer I asked if they could check the spark plugs and leads whilst they were looking for the problem. I was told they always do that. But after them having the car for two days the first time and then another two days the second time I took it back as the problem was not fixed.

I decided to have a look at the spark plugs to see if they had replaced them and noticed that 4 out of 6 plugs were so worn they had no ground electrode left and the other 2 had just a small lump. I replaced these myself but it still did not fix the problem.

I was all fired up to take them on about not fixing the problem and not replacing the parts they charged me for but my wife talked me out of it. Its been to long now as this was about 12 months ago. Only wish I had joined this forum sooner.
gunsandguts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
sednwol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsandguts View Post
but my wife talked me out of it.
Cost her a lot of handbags!
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the dealer you talk about ( no names required) is well known to use a "chuck some parts in charge the customer and hope it works . I know a few cab owners who were ripped big time till the finally realised what the were doing. steer well clear of them. where in Newy are you? if close to town cars to cabs in Wickham knows his falcons well but he is busy. Milton Skinner at Woodberry is also good . there used to be a good one up here at Maitland but his work has deteriorated over the last few years.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: