Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default New South Wales rego hike.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/a...0304-pl3d.html

Quote:
A rather weighty tax issue

MATT CAMPBELL AND DANIEL DASEY
March 8, 2010

It just doesn't seem fair.

The state government recently announced it planned to slug motorists up to $30 more on their registration if their vehicle weighed more than 975 kilograms.

The so-called weight tax is to apply to all vehicles, with the exception of hybrids in a nod to their smaller environmental impact.

All good in theory but it emerges a V8 limousine and a supercharged V6 four-wheel-drive are among several high-performance beasts dodging the tax because they have hybrid capacity.

First up is the Porsche Cayenne Hybrid S, a two-tonne-plus 4WD and one of the fastest off-roaders on the market. It is joined by the Lexus LS600hL - a V8-powered hybrid weighing almost twice as much as a Toyota Corolla and delivering the performance of a V12.

While the Porsche and the Lexus offer significant fuel savings compared with cars of similar performance, they are thirstier than dozens of budget small cars that will be slugged with the new weight tax.

The tax is specifically designed to fund the $50 billion transport plan that was created to fix NSW's sub-standard public transport and clogged roads.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

How much does the rego cost already?

Something like 800 for 12 months in QLD.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Wouldn't it be more of an incentive to give a rego discount to those weighing under 975 kilograms.

I suspect there is an ulterior motive using the "Green Screen" as protection.....
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

The cars that slurp fuel pay for it at the bowser.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All to fix roads in Sydney!

What about out here, you know, where all your food is grown, and the material that makes the clothes on your back. You know, the regional areas of NSW that need bigger cars ie 4x4's to get between properties, esp in the wet, like now, and that are more comfortable and safer to travel in while travelling the big distances we have to travel.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

This hike is a croc. Decades of incompetence and the NSW public are left to pick up the bill. We're not some endless ATM that dispenses money at will!!!

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the NSW government are doing as they please because they know they are history at the next election. I'm not trying to politcise the issue I't just that they are lower than a snakes belly in the polls and some polls indicate a landslide of historic proportion so they may as well get unpopular leglislation through that suits their ideals seeing as they have nothing to loose

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

and the thing that really annoys me is that the hybrids work out worse for the enviroment in the long run but they get all these exemptions.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Wouldn't it be more of an incentive to give a rego discount to those weighing under 975 kilograms.

I suspect there is an ulterior motive using the "Green Screen" as protection.....
I reckon 98% of cars on the road would weight more than 975kg. How many cars in the state 3 million?

Oh, and the legislation with its loopholes already sounds as well drafted as the P plate restricted vehicle list. Rather poorly.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Now unless they're paying $1007 a year to register their cars in NSW, it's still better than QLD
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW are saying $30 is a Hike, far out, what QLD got last year was a hike. We copped a $200+ jump in our Rego. I payed $775 last year to register my XR8 for a year, it is now $989 This renewal.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

I'm almost considering registering my car in Victoria, as I'm not that far away. On the othe hand, that would mean my car would be registered in Victoria.

Tangent: I remember driving through the middle of Australia there were local's cars registered in Victoria and further on, in Metropolitan Perth - even though both of the areas I spotted these cars was in SA! I believe it has something to do with working for an inter/multistate company
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I dont even know why the gov't bother trying to justify any hike in anything seems everytime any bill comes in it is more than last time. Most people have given up on expecting respective governments to deliver on anything we will pay more and public transport wont change it will still suck. They need the money to cover the costs of private businesses suing the govt for cancelling winning bids to fix the problems so now we will pay millions for nothing. :

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #14
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
and the thing that really annoys me is that the hybrids work out worse for the enviroment in the long run but they get all these exemptions.
I hear you, It's a damn shame Joe Average doesn't think of the whole-of-life impact of these supposed enviro-friendly cars. If the truth were made public, I don't believe this Hybrid-mania would last too much longer.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
I'd say now is a good time for the division of New South Wales. I'm sick of my money going into these grand Sydney projects for Sydney people. Grand Sydney ideas of harvesting water from the Hunter Valley(Tillegra Dam) to supply the Central Coast and metropolitan Sydney with water at Hunter Valley farmers' expense. A Sydney based government that has taken control of mining royalties that once went to local government where the actual mines exist. A NSW government who cares little for those outside metropolitan Sydney. It wont change when the Libs get handed government.

I remember Kevin Rudd saying something about slowly taking control of essential services off state governments with the eventual abolition of state government in Australia. If we cannot secede from NSW, then perhaps the Feds can dissolve NSW.

I know that people west of the Great Divide say that all the money goes to Newcastle-Sydney-Wollongong but that isn't the truth. People here in the Hunter are being ripped off too. Actually, people here in the Hunter once had a chance to join the proposed new state of New England but declined to jump ship. I'm sure we would love the opportunity now....

The Sydney centric ideas of NSW Labor is unacceptable to those who don't live in Sydney. This is yet another kick in the guts.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't give Captain Bligh any more ideas for ripping motorists off...
Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #17
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The Sydney centric ideas of NSW Labor is unacceptable to those who don't live in Sydney. This is yet another kick in the guts.
I'm afraid it doesn't seem to matter who the government is, as long as it has a central focus, anyone outside is getting royally screwed. How about time to make concessions for those who aren't living in the smoke?

What do the people in the city do for those in the sticks? Please let me know!

How about for taxes such as those used for trains, buses, and other infrastructure seldom seen outside the capital cities there is a series of rings drawn - like the rings of a tree but fewer and more spread out - emanating from the CBD, which dictate how much % extra or less those people should pay for infrastructure taxes and the like. ******** the city focused 'state' governments.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #18
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11289252

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #19
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
What about out here, you know, where all your food is grown, and the material that makes the clothes on your back. You know, the regional areas of NSW that need bigger cars ie 4x4's to get between properties, esp in the wet, like now, and that are more comfortable and safer to travel in while travelling the big distances we have to travel.
And you do that in your Cayene or Lexus hybrid claimed as a tax deduction on your farm?
I thought we used to get a weight tax added to the rego years and years ago and then they just decided to call it all one thing REGO.

My sons MX6 rego is $254 this year my Bluebird rego is $285 this year up only $10 from last year and I can't find the xr6 papers. Both these within a month of each other so why is one different to the other? Weight tax which isn't shown? Its the insurance that kills. My Bluebird is $332 and thats just the compulsory green slip not the third party.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Geez, Tripodi's ************ could have avoided this entirely had they not just spent 300 million on compensation for the Sydney Metro (which no one except the luvvies and the latte set would have used). Again, motorists get slugged (new point to point cameras being rolled out) because of the corruption, incompetence and largesse of the RTA and NSW government. Slightly O/T, but I love how our electricity (which went up 20-30% last July) already has an ETS in it. Be prepared for the 20% increase this year too.

Quote: