Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
MercuryT
Banned

Default Greyhound Racing

I have 2 rescues.

Neither raced as too placid and due to be put down.

Met a guy today and his rescue had 2 ribs taken out on each side (backyard job) to make him corner faster.

What do we think? Is this acceptable?

Last edited by MercuryT; 18-03-2020 at 05:59 PM.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
MercuryT
Banned

Default Re: Greyhound Racing

At Christmas time I was told by a Police Officer that people rescue greyhounds and then have their teeth pulled.

Used as bait for Fighting Dog rings. Rings Police know happen but can't stop as too organised.

When as a society do we say "enough is enough"?
Old 18-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
MercuryT
Banned

I guess not as cool as crapping on about a virus hey?
Old 18-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm against Greyhound racing, the industry is too dodgy and cruel.

I think the tide is turning against horse racing too because the crowds at the Melbourne cup carnival are getting less and less and less and last year was dismal.

The only reason horse racing is still a thing is it's got by far the best and most accessable form of gambling, I don't mind a punt during cup carnival or if I've got a few spare notes at the pub.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
.:4:.
Kicking back

Theres other instances of gross mistreatment. When my kid was 3 id often pick him up from daycare and visit my brother and his mate at his mates bike mechanics shop. So he rented the place off the tyre shop next door but he worked on customers motor bikes, track bikes and mx style bikes, heaps of the pretty cool stuff. The owners of that place and their business next door were into the dodgy stuff and bought a rotti pup. To start with my kid would play with it and it would play nice. But one phone call i got was to keep him inside. By that i mean my kid. The rotweiller was getting Ill treated to become oportunistic enough to be an attack dog. Even as a juvinile still the thing feared me but my kid turned his back and the thing flattened him. It was starved so it would become oportunistic, beaten so it would obey its masters. Thats not why the property owners got locked up, thats all due to other things. But there was severe misstreatment of what, whilst considered a dangerous dog to an extent, could have been a nice pet if raised right. My brothers mate, due to legal reasons with the landlord had to relocate his place of business. But thats fine, getting domesticated animals to revert to primal instincts? Thats pretty messed up in my book.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
MustangStevo63

tarring all greyhound owners with the same brush is totally not cool......

never ever heard of pulling ribs out....nor teeth out....i'm calling BS
MustangStevo63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangStevo63 View Post

Why would you be hearing about it?

The whole idea is you arent to know about it.
Old 19-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #8
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Theres other instances of gross mistreatment. When my kid was 3 id often pick him up from daycare and visit my brother and his mate at his mates bike mechanics shop. So he rented the place off the tyre shop next door but he worked on customers motor bikes, track bikes and mx style bikes, heaps of the pretty cool stuff. The owners of that place and their business next door were into the dodgy stuff and bought a rotti pup. To start with my kid would play with it and it would play nice. But one phone call i got was to keep him inside. By that i mean my kid. The rotweiller was getting Ill treated to become oportunistic enough to be an attack dog. Even as a juvinile still the thing feared me but my kid turned his back and the thing flattened him. It was starved so it would become oportunistic, beaten so it would obey its masters. Thats not why the property owners got locked up, thats all due to other things. But there was severe misstreatment of what, whilst considered a dangerous dog to an extent, could have been a nice pet if raised right. My brothers mate, due to legal reasons with the landlord had to relocate his place of business. But thats fine, getting domesticated animals to revert to primal instincts? Thats pretty messed up in my book.
Great post. I agree the whole thing is messed up.
Old 19-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:

Plus I didn't say or even imply that regarding owners.
Old 19-03-2020, 06:16 PM   #10
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I can't stand cruelty towards any animal. I personally find my dogs far better than humans.
You only have to look in shopping center's to see how some humans behave......
4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I can't stand cruelty towards any animal. I personally find my dogs far better than humans.
You only have to look in shopping center's to see how some humans behave......
Exactly.

The real nasty animals are inside the shop not waiting on a lead outside.
Old 19-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #12
.:4:.
Kicking back

When i was an infant my family had a greyhound cross dingo as a pet. From all reports it was a good dog, exept with its big head and slender body, it was dumb as a spud and no one could catch it if it ran off. Theres a few people in my area with greyhounds as pets. Not ex racing dogs, but you see them walking them often enough. But pets, none of the primal instinct stuff. They know dinner is in the bowl etc. Horse racing is also as cut throat at times. Probably 25 years ago one of my great uncles horses he had a share in got entangled in a fence and probably wouldnt race again. No re homing for that horse, it was offed. My boss has shares in a few horses, and one missed 2 starts so it was geldered just to attempt to get its focus on the jump back. Didnt work. A useless race horse is deemed useless. Yes ive had cats before as pets and had them desexed, but they werent racing cats. They were family members. Nothing financial. Just i didnt want 300 cats in the house.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #13
MercuryT
Banned

Sad people don't care about dogs.
Old 22-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #14
MustangStevo63

once again a broad statement of misinformation tarring all ...........a tiny minority don't care.....the majority do treat their animals like family
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Greyhound racing has a stigma over being the working class man's version of horse racing also - classic elitist attitude from an irrelevant industry (horse racing) on the decline.

See how quickly the NSW government moved to ban Greyhound racing a few years ago? Nothing of the sort for horse racing over their multiple controversies.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #16
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate I’d take it one step further and say it’s sad people don’t care about animals. Long story but here goes. When I was a kid I had an uncle who was about 15 years older than me. Real and I mean real knock about lad. Loved his bikes, cars, booze and women in no real order. Amongst all this he won apprentice of the year in motor mechanics, I honestly doubt he would have been sober half the time at tech but there you go! I watched this bloke come home on his bike some days with little pups tucked inside his jacket. They were weak and sick, he would try and feed them and care for them, including feeding them with eye droppers because they were so weak or young. He finally realised what was going on, the pet shop nearby was dumping them in the rear lane of the workshop. It didn’t happen anymore after he found out who it was. He had a couple of wins, I ended up with one who was an amazing dog, he never forgot, he was the best watch dog yet quite gentle when out in public. The poor little bugger had no fur on his hind quarters when he found him and was grossly undernourished and near death, his sister dies.As a kid I saw the look of helplessness in their eyes, yet even after all they had been thru they seemed thankful for a caring human, even if it was too late. My uncle used to get pretty out of shape, I think it was a combination of anger towards these people and the fact he failed sometimes.
Long story short these so called bikies or crims that deal in animal fights are weak as watered down cats urine, they are not men, they are not human. My life went a different direction in many ways to my uncle, some good some bad, but I still have zero issue for these types and could easily inflict equal pain on them as they inflict on poor animals.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #17
MercuryT
Banned

Fantastic post XByoot.

Exactly how i think also.
Old 22-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #18
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
I have 2 rescues.

Neither raced as too placid and due to be put down.

Met a guy today and his rescue had 2 ribs taken out on each side (backyard job) to make him corner faster.

What do we think? Is this acceptable?
A. NO, not acceptable, most probably criminal.

i work with horses and professional track rider for 10 years and still connected.

imo the racing industry is corrupt and the doggies are at the low end of the ladder. nothing would surprise me.

i can,t read the horrible storys posted, it brings me to tears.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #19
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Do any of you actually know people who race greyhounds ?

One of the girls I went to school with her mum is right into it. Their family must have about 100 dogs. I go round to visit occasionally and from what I can see the dogs are very well looked after. Fed properly, housed nicely, worked daily, attention, company.

They make a decent living out of the winnings but they do it because they genuinely love their animals.

The problem isn't racing, it's not hammering people who do the wrong thing. There are always a percentage of FWs in the population. They manifest their FWery in various ways, like the mongrels who knocked off my house. The problem is our legal system is completely unconcerned for the victims, people or animals, and panders to the offenders.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2020, 07:27 PM   #20
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
A. NO, not acceptable, most probably criminal.

i work with horses and professional track rider for 10 years and still connected.

imo the racing industry is corrupt and the doggies are at the low end of the ladder. nothing would surprise me.

i can,t read the horrible storys posted, it brings me to tears.
Sorry mate I didn't mean to upset you.

But yeah, he was a big boy and seeing the scars from (backyard) surgery pretty hard hey.

Lucky for these people i can't find them.
Old 22-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #21
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Do any of you actually know people who race greyhounds ?

One of the girls I went to school with her mum is right into it. Their family must have about 100 dogs. I go round to visit occasionally and from what I can see the dogs are very well looked after. Fed properly, housed nicely, worked daily, attention, company.

They make a decent living out of the winnings but they do it because they genuinely love their animals.
Ok Donald Trump.

You know one good trainer/owner.

Must mean they are all fantastic.
Old 22-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #22
MercuryT
Banned

My boys are both big.

Bruce 72cm at shoulder and Terry 75.

Terry much thicker in body at 45kgs. (fit as)

I don't know how to put a Pic up but they are awesome boys.
Old 23-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #23
MustangStevo63

Quote:
Ok Donald Trump.

dear oh dear , tarring the rest again
2 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #24
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Ok Donald Trump.

Wow, what a bigoted and nasty response.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #25
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
dear oh dear , tarring the rest again
Wasn't tarring the rest at all.
Old 24-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #26
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Sorry mate I didn't mean to upset you.

But yeah, he was a big boy and seeing the scars from (backyard) surgery pretty hard hey.

Lucky for these people i can't find them.
i wasn,t really in tears, it just pees me off.
when it comes to racing, everybodys an expert, and the weirdos come out of the wood work, its ture.
many years ago, a few trotting horses were chopped up and thrown a by the road side in badgerys creek (second airport sydney). just an example. at least they don,t pin-fire/blister young race horses front legs anymore.
the huge majority totally love there animals, horse or dog, its the weirdos and money hungry that ruins for it.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #27
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

I used to know a married couple, who trained greyhounds. Both have since passed on.
They were fairly successful, winning a couple of Easter Eggs amongst other races.
They had no more than 4 dogs in work at any time.
Every single one of their own dogs retired with them. You had to push them off lounges if you came to visit. Not every trainer is a douche.

The problem with the do gooder wowsers who tried to ban racing, is that they failed to consider the effect on dog sport. My dog loves lure coursing. That was arbitrarily banned, simply because greyhounds also do it. Whats so evil about dogs running after a plastic bag on a rope?

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: