Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #31
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
dont get me wrong im not saying g&d's airboxes are no good ive neva tried 1 so i cant say all im saying is if you can do something that will work simialr then y not, 700 for something else to go fast. JC got any pics?
The airboxes have proven to be one of the best "Bang for Buck" modifications there is, and no questions the G&D Airboxes have proven to be a very worth while mod.
Old 26-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #32
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Yeh i believe that cams290, but i dont believe that a windsor needs it, the BAxr8 box i have seen them 250rw no worries so there is no reason they cant be as good as the g&d setup, a windsor and a i6 unless turbo or supercharged is a less powerfull engine so unless you have over 200rw i dont see a restriction.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #33
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
The airboxes have proven to be one of the best "Bang for Buck" modifications there is, and no questions the G&D Airboxes have proven to be a very worth while mod.
True, & the BluePower one is right up there too.

For my I6, I have had
  • AU box with Tickford snorkel and 3" pipe from box to TB pipe rubber elbow.
  • Same as above, with additional 3" intake in the front of the box going to grille
  • Same as above, with SS Inductions snorkel instead of Tickford snorkel
  • BA Pod with BMC filter plus BPT adaptor for Tickford snorkel and cut down front BA intake behind headlights (and 3" pipe from box to TB pipe rubber elbow).
  • Same as above but with SS inductions snorkel instead of the Tickford one, and 3" flexi pipe in place of the cut down BA intake

The last combo is easily the best. I don't think a G&D would give me too much more over this combo anyway.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 02:13 AM   #34
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Surely if you need an edit to make the airbox worthwhile, it's not saying that much for the airbox.

I'd be spending money elsewhere eg underdrives or a cam etc.
My car is living proof that with out an edit u can get great gains while and i have noticed better throttle responce on cold nights as i do drive a lot at late night to early morning.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #35
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
My car is living proof that with out an edit u can get great gains while and i have noticed better throttle responce on cold nights as i do drive a lot at late night to early morning.
No-one is saying that you can't get gains wihtout an edit. It's just that with an edit the gains are better, and generally can be achieved right through the rev range.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 27-07-2006, 08:56 PM   #36
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

The original question was not about what works with what ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black ute
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has done the swap from the SS intake to the G&D box, and what the results where like?
Basicly there will be a small gain over the SS and a great induction noise.
It is up to you if you can justify the $$$ for un unknown increase likely to be less than 10kw in your case.

If you do it you wont be sorry.

Just dont waste the money on a bigger T/Body. Then you will be sorry. (Talking BA)

Check and see how much you could sell the SS for.

Cheers......kev

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT

POWERED BY VISA MASTERCARD AND MORE VISA
(And now a mortgage extension)

Disclaimer :

: Anything that seems or sounds illegal is all in my head and due to an over active imagination... :
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #37
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

All total wishful thinking honestly. Noise doesn't equal more power.

Don't believe any of this CAI really does anything more than cost money.

Don't believe in god either for that matter. Some people do so good luck to them.

if you WANT to BELIEVE good luck to you.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #38
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
True, & the BluePower one is right up there too.
Bluepower dont have an airbox to suit AU's yet.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 09:26 PM   #39
black ute
SII XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_xr8_ute
The original question was not about what works with what ect.

Basicly there will be a small gain over the SS and a great induction noise.
It is up to you if you can justify the $$$ for un unknown increase likely to be less than 10kw in your case.

If you do it you wont be sorry.

Just dont waste the money on a bigger T/Body. Then you will be sorry. (Talking BA)

Check and see how much you could sell the SS for.

Cheers......kev
Thanks Kev, you've basically backed my own impressions.

Still don't know which way i'll go, dreaming of bigger things i think...
black ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 07:49 PM   #40
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Much to Casper's delight, no doubt, I've had a few LPG issues this week, which meant that my AU square box has been blown to bits; well, not really, but it's got cracks everywhere. Thanks to Vic I had a spare BA Pod bottom half with stock BA Pod filter, plus, thanks to Glenn a spare BA Pod Lid. So after some creative pipe & bracket work, I now have a BA Pod setup in the XR8 as well as the wagon. Took the car for a spin and it seems to go as good as ever on Petrol; not willing to try LPG, as the issues on that fuel still aren't sorted, so I don't want to blow a BA Pod up!.

Anyway, a couple of pics for those who are curious.

Close up of the Pod, showing balance pipe etc.

Old 29-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #41
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Much to Casper's delight, no doubt, I've had a few LPG issues this week, which meant that my AU square box has been blown to bits;
Why would it be to my delight? I'm not a fan of LPG but I would never wish damage on anyones car.

Old 29-07-2006, 10:14 PM   #42
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I seen a airbox on an AU dyno day it had springs on it so it cant blow up, it was on a white AU.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #43
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Jc , that pod filter looks like a grenade.After what happened to the last box I would be worried. :lookedat: :nutsycuck

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 11:25 PM   #44
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Shane - sorry, didn't mean to imply that you would delight in damage to my car (so far has only been to airbox) - I know you would be as distraught about damage to an AU as I would. What I meant was a kind of pre-emptive "told you so", because I know your thoughts on LPG. Let's just say I am definitely having second thoughts about that fuel on my 8, but would transfer it all over to the 6 in a heartbeat, as there is so much more knowledge etc for the 6 than the 8. Another "funny" thing I was going to post is that my LPG burning 8 got "blown away" by Casper's car, but as we are in different states, I didn't think anyone would believe me (plus it's not true - mine is just blowing itself away!). LOL.

Mark - I had the spring clips, and while they worked to some extent - especially for smaller backfires - I have been getting massive backfires; enough to blow the mixer ring about 2 inches further down the very tight fitting rubber intake pipe than it originally was. The last explosion actually blew the little metal trumpet (I think only XR8s got it) on the inside of the airbox off!

Stav - the BA Pod has a huge opening at the front of it, and I'm hoping that any backfire would exit through that. On the AU it has to work it's way all the way to the snorkel, but no on the BA Pod. But the shape does look very grenade-ish; if not a very large one.

I haven't tried running the car on LPG again just yet - just waiting on new leads next week, and hopefully that **should*** sort the issue out for me. The whole issue has apparently been traced to corroded leads (the 2 rear cylinders on each bank), but it has had leads changed back to the original motorcraft ones (which were checked and found to be within accdeptable resistance tolerance of 2 - 6 kOhms), it's also had 3 sets of plugs that didn't make any differnece, so I'm back to the original Motorcraft Platinums, which again have been checked for resistance, and all are at 4kOhms +/- 10%. (The corroded leads were attached to NGK Iridiums, which were also found to have some corrosion).

Ok, enough of exploding air boxes and their replacement and back to the airbox talk in search of those elusive rwkw!

Old 29-07-2006, 11:48 PM   #45
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Mark - I had the spring clips, and while they worked to some extent - especially for smaller backfires - I have been getting massive backfires; enough to blow the mixer ring about 2 inches further down the very tight fitting rubber intake pipe than it originally was. The last explosion actually blew the little metal trumpet (I think only XR8s got it) on the inside of the airbox off!
Does not sound good, have you tried our LPG Forum for some help or reasons why its doing this?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #46
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Does not sound good, have you tried our LPG Forum for some help or reasons why its doing this?
I haven't as yet - it's veen almost living at the LPG machanics workshop for 3 out of the 5 days this past week. If the new plugs (now fitted) and new leads (coming) don't fix it, I will be certainly seeking second opinions from the LPG forums, as well as another LPG fitter in Canberra. The problem is, LPG is so "spark sensitive" that it could be anything from faulty plugs & leads, to a dying battery (not generating enough spark), so we'll start with the obvious and work our way from there.

Old 30-07-2006, 12:54 AM   #47
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

stainless intake pipe, 3in mandrel
Old 30-07-2006, 01:04 AM   #48
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Default New intake setup

Yet to be tuned for the maf tho. And soon i will be adding onto my 4in pipe and removing the flexi part.
Old 30-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #49
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Both the 3" and the BA Pod setup look great. The Pod and 90mm MAF should be worth some largish rwkw once tuned!

Old 30-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #50
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Shane - sorry, didn't mean to imply that you would delight in damage to my car (so far has only been to airbox) - I know you would be as distraught about damage to an AU as I would. What I meant was a kind of pre-emptive "told you so", because I know your thoughts on LPG. Let's just say I am definitely having second thoughts about that fuel on my 8, but would transfer it all over to the 6 in a heartbeat, as there is so much more knowledge etc for the 6 than the 8. Another "funny" thing I was going to post is that my LPG burning 8 got "blown away" by Casper's car, but as we are in different states, I didn't think anyone would believe me (plus it's not true - mine is just blowing itself away!). LOL.
Its cool JC, all sorted.
Personally, I think putting the LPG onto the wagon would be better for many reasons. Its the family car (and I guess would do the majority of kms). I also believe it is the one that does the big interstate trips and finally, as you say, is an I6 which has a lot more data on it. It is not a performance car so it would be the perfect choice for LPG.. hell, I've even contemplated it for our Kia!
Now that this is all sorted out... any chance of some pics of the airbox? I'd be curious to actually see what damage it caused as, to move a mixer ring and crack the box, it would have to be one hell of a big explosion!

Old 30-07-2006, 10:38 AM   #51
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

The wagon does about 400 to 500 kms a month. The XR does about 350 a week. That's why I initially put the XR on gas, even though we were really looking at putting it on the wagon, but it just didn't do the kms to justify it. Now it may be necessity, but I'll still try and get the XR fixed.

I'll just go and get some pics now. Will post them in a minute or two.

Last edited by JC; 30-07-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 30-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #52
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Thumbs up

JC not a worry mate ,I was just toying with you for fun.Reality is that exploding anything is dangerous. Just be careful and take care of yourself.You sound a bit serious and I think your a top bloke.If there is something going on with you..maybe the flu I hope you get back to normal you soon.

btw I am thinking about lpg for the wagon as $ 300 a week on fuel is getting rididculous.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #53
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Pics of airbox cracks and busted bits. Not all the damage was done at once. But each time I fixed it, it would blow somewhere else, and on more than one occassion actually blew a piece out of the box as well. Plus it blew the mixer ring down the pipe and the trumpet out from the inside.