Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default iphone when is it time to update

Hi

Got a iphone4 and Was wondering if there was anything that can be done to the phone to give you more time to save up to get a new phone and upgrade to iphone6 or even a bit then laybuy at local phone shop. If it helps you the phones doing following.

Replaced battery once and was better and now back to not lasting quite a day.

Phones very slow on internet in some areas and doesn't seem to work as well as the iPhone 5s onwards.

Phone sometimes shuts down out of program you're in.

Phone sometimes freezes in certain program's and the iphone4 was fastest you could get when new but is getting slower and slower.

The top power button is hard to push when pushing it to lock screen.

Had phone for over 2 years and wondered wether there's anything that can be done to give more time to get a new one.

Thanks
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 
Default Re: iphone when is it time to update

Maybe you could take it into an Apple Store for them to have a look at it for you (if there is one near you).

If you do, make sure that you back your phone up first.
Old 13-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 4 is probably a bit long in the tooth, especially if it is a 4 and not a 4s (as the processor is not as fast etc).

A 5, or 5c will be fine for a while, but I usually keep my phone for 3 odd years (generally seems to be just behind Apples main update life cycle) and then upgrade.

My 4 ended up chugging badly, doing what you're outlining, my 5 is still going like a trooper after 2.5years, so I think it'll keep it until next year when the fully new generation should come out.
Old 13-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is there any other signs its time for a updated iphone
Old 13-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
olfella
Cranky old bastard

I think when the updates focus more on the newer models to keep them supported. Even the latest update had to be reengineered for some older iPads and phones.
Old 13-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

When the interface, screen stops responding to touch, my is dying at the moment and I have to start looking for a replacement.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
is there any other signs its time for a updated iphone
Guess it depends what annoys you enough to upgrade really.

If your battery life is horrendous, you my want to.

Or if the buttons aren't working as well, or the phone is slow to change menus, or if the new updates that are coming out are no longer applicable to your device.
Old 13-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there anything that you can do to patch up your old phone to give you another few months
Old 13-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I always get the MRS iphone after her 2 year contracts are up as i don't care about tech too much. I had a 4s for for four years and it was fine. Battery life depends how much you use it, use applications all the time and it wont last long. I found totally formatting and resetting the phone and then starting again worked well with the 4, also not storing much on it.

I have the 5 now as the MRS old plan just renewed but the only issue we had with the 4 was the home button sticking, cost me $20 to be fixed at one of those independent phone shops.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're due a new phone, I honestly reckon the Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge are worth a look. I've known a bunch of people who've gone from Iphones to these and swear by them and wonder why they haven't made the switch sooner. I also picked up an S7 edge myself and best phone I've ever had.
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #11
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would LOVE an s7 edge, but I love the iOS UI. I CBF learning android (yes that is closed minded, but meh).

If the S7 edge could run iOS I'd be in like Flynn!
Old 13-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #12
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What can be done to the normal iphone4 to give you more time to get the updated one,

If you want the iphone6 plus 128g and can't afford it yet might you have to get. $200 2ndhand iphone 5 that might give you 12 months
Old 13-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #13
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

I had an iPhone 4 until last November. And it was chugging, randomly closing apps, stopping me from getting email, and I needed to replace the home button.

You mentioned the on off button is failing. Remember that our phones buttons get hammered. And just wear out.

I had my iPhone since new in 2010. And after 5 years it was well and truly time to upgrade. And it would be the same for anyone else who has one.

There comes a time when you just have to pull the trigger and get a new one.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #14
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think these phones get engineered out by the manufacturer, ie they keep updating the software and the phone no longer runs properly, they do this so you get the ***** with it and drop another $1000 and buy a new one.

Was recently talking to a bloke who still uses a iPhone 3s, YES a 3s, and I asked him how it works/runs as I have a 4s that is struggling and he said that it runs perfectly, but he runs the original software in it, not the updated stuff that causes it to wig out.

My 4s recently died on me while I was in the Gold Coast, ie it died completely and did not even turn on any longer, so I went to the Apple shop to see what could be done and I did not really want to spend big $$ on a new phone as I have other expenses more important than a flash phone and I explained this to the Apple Genius in the shop.

So after checking my phone which they declared officially deceased they offered me a brand new iPhone 4s for $100, which they still keep in stock for warranty replacements.

So now I have a basically brand new (3 month sold) iPhone 4s, and it still wiggs out with the new software installed

So I am considering just restoring it back to factory and running it on the original software. I don't use it for much other than taking photos and making calls and sending SMS, with the odd use of maps and a google search when out somewhere.

So long story short, may be give the phone a good clean up and delete all the extra carp out of it and restore to factory settings and see how it goes.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 13-04-2016 at 09:29 PM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2016, 11:24 PM   #15
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just tried it and it appears once you have upgraded you can't go back

So they have you over a barrel, just buy a new phone, I might be due for an upgrade soon myself, I hate buying phones...

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #16
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
I would LOVE an s7 edge, but I love the iOS UI. I CBF learning android (yes that is closed minded, but meh).

If the S7 edge could run iOS I'd be in like Flynn!
It's really not that hard...
Old 14-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #17
LTDHO
The one and only

iphone when is it time to update?

the moment before you buy it and get an Android instead
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #18
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post
It's really not that hard...
I'm sure it's not. I'm just too lazy / stubborn to do it. I have no drama admitting that
Old 14-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #19
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
I'm sure it's not. I'm just too lazy / stubborn to do it. I have no drama admitting that

Current iPhones are like old nokias, so simple to use so why change unless you are into looking deep into the phones operating files.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #20
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Current iPhones are like old nokias, so simple to use so why change unless you are into looking deep into the phones operating files.
I thought that...until I picked up one of my old Nokias a little while back...was horrible to use, compared to modern Android devices.
Old 14-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #21
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post
I thought that...until I picked up one of my old Nokias a little while back...was horrible to use, compared to modern Android devices.

Compare them to the others in their day. Samsungs sucked and so did the sonys.

This conversation is just like the ford vs Gm
No one wins
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #22
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As XB mentioned perhaps try reverting back to the original update? (if possible)
Or if you only use the phone just to call/message then perhaps you could pick up a secondhand cheapie phone (those $19-$39 ones from woolies or coles) for the time being whilst you save for a newer phone?
Old 14-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #23
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Hi

Got a iphone4 and Was wondering if there was anything that can be done to the phone to give you more time to save up to get a new phone and upgrade to iphone6 or even a bit then laybuy at local phone shop. If it helps you the phones doing following.

Replaced battery once and was better and now back to not lasting quite a day.

Phones very slow on internet in some areas and doesn't seem to work as well as the iPhone 5s onwards.

Phone sometimes shuts down out of program you're in.

Phone sometimes freezes in certain program's and the iphone4 was fastest you could get when new but is getting slower and slower.

The top power button is hard to push when pushing it to lock screen.

Had phone for over 2 years and wondered wether there's anything that can be done to give more time to get a new one.

Thanks
4 or 4S??
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #24
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I update, when my boss buys a new iPhone and gives it to me to use! The joy of a work provided phone.
Seriously tho, 2 years ago I was between jobs (and phones) for 2 weeks so I bought a prepaid cheapie LG"smart" phone. OMG what a POS, I assumed all smart phones were like the apple product.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-04-2016, 10:34 PM   #25
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I think these phones get engineered out by the manufacturer, ie they keep updating the software and the phone no longer runs properly, they do this so you get the ***** with it and drop another $1000 and buy a new one.

Was recently talking to a bloke who still uses a iPhone 3s, YES a 3s, and I asked him how it works/runs as I have a 4s that is struggling and he said that it runs perfectly, but he runs the original software in it, not the updated stuff that causes it to wig out.

My 4s recently died on me while I was in the Gold Coast, ie it died completely and did not even turn on any longer, so I went to the Apple shop to see what could be done and I did not really want to spend big $$ on a new phone as I have other expenses more important than a flash phone and I explained this to the Apple Genius in the shop.

So after checking my phone which they declared officially deceased they offered me a brand new iPhone 4s for $100, which they still keep in stock for warranty replacements.

So now I have a basically brand new (3 month sold) iPhone 4s, and it still wiggs out with the new software installed

So I am considering just restoring it back to factory and running it on the original software. I don't use it for much other than taking photos and making calls and sending SMS, with the odd use of maps and a google search when out somewhere.

So long story short, may be give the phone a good clean up and delete all the extra carp out of it and restore to factory settings and see how it goes.
My 4S runs latest 9.3.1 and it's pretty good. 9.3.0 was not good. Free Battery Doctor app has a memory and junk cleaner, use it regularly.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #26
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 4 is 6 years old. Think about how many times you press that home button per day, times that by 365 and times that by 6. It's had a damned good run. Just restore it to factory settings, or you could jailbreak it. It's the best you'll get.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with Graphicgoose , the S7 is a great/ no doubt the best smart phone on the market today , but you could also take a look at the nexus 6p which is last years model nexus flagship , still a good device and can be had a lot cheaper , it still runs pretty fast , has a really nice samsung screen in it , a big battery ,very good camera and is a simpler device with basic simple android for you apple dudes ,
im one of the dudes that reckon its ugly as sin , some people like the look of it , ergonomics are a bit average, but for the package i reckon the good bits far out weigh the annoying ones. .
i got one $ 850 ish 64 GB on board /3 gb ram , and it was bundled with a talkband 2 watch doover , i have seen it on the net 32 gb model 650 ish .
might be worth a consideration .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #28
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: iphone when is it time to update

With the deals on plans that are around these days why would you buy a device outright?

I recently went through the update/upgrade of a device process as my contract was due for expiry/renewal.

I went from a 5S to a 6S for an increase of $0/month on the cost of my outgoing plan. I also had an increase of data from 1.5g to 2.5g for no additional cost.

My device is now a 64g as opposed to a 32g and is soooo much quicker in everything it does.

The plan is the same cost, yet I get more data, more free calls, all free txt message etc as well.
The total cost of my bill has increased by $5 as the handset repayment has increased but that's it.

Over the life of the plan my device will cost me $696.

How often can you purchase a brand new iphone 6S for that?

Am I happy with my purchase? Hell yeah.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #29
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6 View Post
With the deals on plans that are around these days why would you buy a device outright?

I recently went through the update/upgrade of a device process as my contract was due for expiry/renewal.

I went from a 5S to a 6S for an increase of $0/month on the cost of my outgoing plan. I also had an increase of data from 1.5g to 2.5g for no additional cost.

My device is now a 64g as opposed to a 32g and is soooo much quicker in everything it does.

The plan is the same cost, yet I get more data, more free calls, all free txt message etc as well.
The total cost of my bill has increased by $5 as the handset repayment has increased but that's it.

Over the life of the plan my device will cost me $696.

How often can you purchase a brand new iphone 6S for that?

Am I happy with my purchase? Hell yeah.
I disagree. I'm on one of the Telstra BYO plans for $70 a month and I get unlimited calls and text/mms, plus 10gb worth of data. If you're a new customer it cost $60 a month. I bought the Galaxy S7 Edge outright for like $1,160 and used my credit card coz if I spent $3k in the first 3 months I got 70,000 bonus Qantas points. Those bonus points are worth about $2-3k if used on a business class flight somewhere. Not to mention if I were to use one of the Telstra plans (only company with reception where I work) that has the phone on the contract it'd cost me about $140 month to get one that has at least the same amount of data I have on my current contract.
Old 19-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #30
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: iphone when is it time to update

That's not an apples for apples comparison though.
How do you go for data if you're not in a Telstra Air hotspot?

Looks like a good deal if you have the disposable income.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post