Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Default JackGreen Renewable Energy

Hey peeps.

Anyone been approached by a door to door salesperson from JackGreen energy selling 100% renewable energy? We had a Scottish girl (quite hot actually) come to our door and do the spiel on Renewable Energy.

Sounds like a good idea but I want to check on the legitimacy from everyone and see if anyone has signed up or rejected them for some reason? I guess it can't hurt but anyone in NSW already with them or in Vic who's been approached?

Thanks for your help!

Old 14-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
Bukkake

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
kempster1

Wind Generation is the way of the future!!!

Support as many wind farms as we can
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

100% renewable as in free energy?

Didn't mythbusters do a thing on free energy and find it to be non-existant?

Personally I think tidal energy is the way of the future (in small forms), uses less space than all those mindmills.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wind farms....crap noisey as hell and give little back for expenditure.

Tidal energy ....in your dreams.

PPL to gain the energy we need to propel our hopless beings around ....think beyond the square.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^There's these sea snake things that are small and sit in the sea like a boi (as in the water ones, lol) and one of them powered a whole area of some europian country..

Yep.. I saw it a while ago, lol. Can't remember much.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Australia pulled it's head out of it's a*se, we'd build one nuclear power station. Problem solved. It needs to happen.

wind power sounds good in theory, and it's making the pollies look good, but it is not efficient. Tidal can be sustainable (in certain circumstances), but no one in this country has the balls to invest in it.

If electricity isn't made from heat/fire, it's not reliable or cost efficient.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
Mondie
Firm member

Hot rocks as being proved up by Geodynamics in the SA desert is the most likely form of future green energy. It will be expensive to construct but cheap once up and running.

l hope they can pull it off :
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
big_waity
Windsor Man!

LIGHT MORE FIRES!!!!! I reckon there is no better option than good old fashioned coal fueled plants!!!
Old 15-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
If Australia pulled it's head out of it's a*se, we'd build one nuclear power station. Problem solved. It needs to happen.
Excellent idea.....
Lets put it in your backyard tho!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #11
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Excellent idea.....
Lets put it in your backyard tho!!!
No worries mate. I'd rather have a properly build/maintained atomic power staion in my back yard than a coal burner firing off toxic gas for my kids to breathe in.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #12
walterb

re Jackgreen, we signed up 6 months ago are are as happy as pigs in ",,,,". Good service and got the kids off our back knowing that we only use green power. ie zero black poluting energy. Every little bit helps. Walter
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 11:42 PM   #13
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Hydro Electricity is the go !

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

We should be looking more into Solar energy in this country ... we get so much bloody sun down here .... it works a charm.

I am slowly getting there with my place ... looing ar running larger panels on the roof of the house to run items ... just about to setup the front farm gate to run off solar ... all outdoor lighting is solar ... and looking into the running out electric fencing off solar as well.

If more people starting harnessing the suns energy it reduce the amount of power needed/drained from the power grid anyway.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 12:38 AM   #15
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Just watching beyond tomorrow on foxtel, talking about Hot rocks...sounds promising...drill two 4km deep holes pump water/amonia down one hole, harness super heated high pressure water out the other hole!

waste product: steam

there is your future of power in Australia!
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 12:51 AM   #16
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Ill Start Digging tommorow , Can someone lend me a shovel ??

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 01:00 AM   #17
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_AU
Ill Start Digging tommorow , Can someone lend me a shovel ??
lol make sure its a good quality shovel!

like Mondie said, expensive outlay then after that it sounds rather spivvy :sm_headba
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 08:20 AM   #18
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Wind farms....crap noisey as hell ...

I was recently in Europe and came into close proximity of many wind farms and they were completely silent ... quite eerie actually.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #19
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

Couple of mates of mine have talked about this company, apparently they are sending lots of attractive females around to sell their product.

Two of my mates said they signed up simply because the saleswoman was attractive, heh. Nice ploy
Old 30-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #20
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Just watching beyond tomorrow on foxtel, talking about Hot rocks...sounds promising...drill two 4km deep holes pump water/amonia down one hole, harness super heated high pressure water out the other hole!

waste product: steam

there is your future of power in Australia!

There is so many things we can do for energy but this will never happen with the likes of the Coal mongers and pollys in the back pockets.

the only issue with Geothermal (uni lecture) if you pump too much liquid or go too deep you risk causing earth quakes.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 08:00 AM   #21
dan.76
always reading posts

a lot of bore water comes out of the ground bloody hot, should then use solar to boil it produce power
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #22
Bluefreak

Why don't they start making roof tiles and tin sheet with solar cells in them...?? Make it mandatory that all new homes incorporate this and only take from the grid what solar wont provide.
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 09:27 AM   #23
Aussie_Geo
Aussie_Geo

The hot rocks option is a good one and has the potential to supply base load power, unlike wind or solar. The only problem is that its in the middle of nowhere, we need the power in our cities and that is predominantly the east coast.

There are huge lossess associated with transmitting this electricity across the country which still might put the skittles on this option.

Peter
Aussie_Geo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #24
Sapper
Back to the AU

To answer the original question, ask them to show you evidence of their source of energy. Consider that these companies will have to use the current grids so you would need to find out where they are feeding the grid. Make sure they're not acting as an unnecessary middle man for your current provider.

With regards to the 'nuclear power plant in your backyard' argument that keeps coming up, look at where the curent coal stations are located. Any form of major power generation will NOT be located adjacent to a built up area.

As far is renewable energy is concerned, there is not real efficient way of generating electrical energy. They're getting better, but none of them are practical for giving power to 20 million people. They will probably one day, but we're not there yet.

Finally, if you're feeling guilty about using to much electricity, the best way to reduce your toll on the environment is to make your home energy efficient. Simple things like using energy efficient appliances and light bulbs, not using eappliances when you don't need them, using blinds to keep the heat out/in will make a substantial difference to your consumption while saving money.

Personally, this JackGreen energy sounds like a croc to me. I may be wrong but I would approach it with caution.
Old 31-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #25
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
I was recently in Europe and came into close proximity of many wind farms and they were completely silent ... quite eerie actually.
i spent 3.5 years in england, and a couple of miles from where i went to school was an experimental wind farm, only about a doxen turbines, and from 500m away they still made a bit of a racket
Old 31-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #26
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
No worries mate. I'd rather have a properly build/maintained atomic power station in my back yard than a coal burner firing off toxic gas for my kids to breathe in.
Can't have the kiddies breathing in toxic gas, much better to leave them and their children with radioactive waste to worry about, assuming their not all mutants by then :

Don't fall for the lie that nuclear is clean and safe. It's neither.

It's not a solution it's a bigger problem.

Sun (nuclear energy at a safe distance), Wind, Wave & Geothermal for me thanks. Say no to nukes :
Old 31-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Can't have the kiddies breathing in toxic gas, much better to leave them and their children with radioactive waste to worry about, assuming their not all mutants by then :

Don't fall for the lie that nuclear is clean and safe. It's neither.

It's not a solution it's a bigger problem.

Sun (nuclear energy at a safe distance), Wind, Wave & Geothermal for me thanks. Say no to nukes :
Whoopsie, another Luddite?

Not safe? try..."Today the oldest nuclear reactor of Eurasia, located at Russian science centre "Kurchatov Institute" celebrates its 60th anniversary. The reactor was launched for the first time December 25 of 1946 in northern suburbs of the Russian capital,
http://www.russia-ic.com/news/show/3185/

Or..."Nuclear power plants in Europe
As of May 10, 2006 there were a total of 203 nuclear power plant units"
and 10 more under construction.
http://www.euronuclear.org/info/ency...ant-europe.htm

http://www.insc.anl.gov/pwrmaps/map/europe.php
Old 31-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #28
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

JackGreen is an ASX listed company (ASX code "JGL") that is endorsed by Planet Ark. Babcock and Brown Ltd is the biggest shareholder in Jackgreen, and those guys at Babcock & Brown are very smart cookies and are a big shareholder for very good reason - that is, there is a big future in renewable energy in Australia.

As for wind energy, if anyone says they are too noisey, not efficient, take up too much space, blah, blah, blah...then there is a good chance you have no idea about the truth behind wind energy. A lot of Eurpean countries have a large amount of their electricity being produced by wind turbines, and are actually de-commissioning their nuclear power plants and are replacing them with wind turbines!!

All those sheep out there that want to build nuclear power plants I ask you a few questions questions:
Do you want to live near one?
What are you going to do with the waste?
How much will they cost to build?
How many decades, yes decades, before they will be actually producing electricity?
How much will the electricity cost?
Where are they going to find the water to run them (they require many times the water that coal power plants currently use?)

Go Jackgreen, go renewable energy (wind, wave, solar, hydro, geothemal), and say no to nuclear and no to new coal plants.
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #29
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
All those sheep out there that want to build nuclear power plants I ask you a few questions questions:
Do you want to live near one?
What are you going to do with the waste?
How much will they cost to build?
How many decades, yes decades, before they will be actually producing electricity?
How much will the electricity cost?
Where are they going to find the water to run them (they require many times the water that coal power plants currently use?)
I could reply but thats not the point of this thread. Start a new 'Nuclear vs the rest" thread and I'll gladly join in.
Old 31-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #30
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Fair call...
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post