Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
au1985
Starter Motor

Default AU Falcon revving up by itself

My AU Falcon has started this new thing of revving up itself, what really brought it to my attention was when I was creeping along slowly into a parking space and the car just jolted forward (and i definitely didnt touch the accelerator lol), it doesnt rev up very far just maybe a little over 1000rpm but it does move the car forward quite a bit (also happens in reverse), I can also feel it trying to do it when the brake pedal is depressed, it can come a little shock if and a little dangerous if someone didnt know about it, I'm totally baffled by this so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

au1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU Falcon revving up by itself

It will be your idle control valve ontop of your throttle body. When it is buggered it will do this when a load is placed on it at idle, turning on A/C or turning the steering wheel. You could try cleaning it out, get a new one or disconnect it, as yep it is quite dangerous when trying to park.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same problem where it would intermittedely decide it wanted to idle at 1400rpm in neutral and about 900-1000rpm in gear. Is quite commonly a ISC issue and mentioned above, however my problem was the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Picked up a spare from the wreckers and it hasn't done it since.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
au1985
Starter Motor

thanks guys for your replies, what would be the best stuff to clean out the idle control valve, as i will try that first,

Thanks
au1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post