Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Straight gas AU1 - overheating / converter freezing.

So a friend has a straight gas AUI that has had some issues overheating (well, at least the gauge was rising), and the engine cutting out (temp gauge fluctuated pretty quickly). When cutting out the converter is frozen..

He's replaced the water pump, radiator, thermostat (now removed), rad cap, confirmed the thermos are kicking in as expected etc etc. the car has continued to overheat until tonight when it ran fine after the thermostat was removed. Was taken for a good drive and temp gauge didn't move at all. Just Around the corner the car cut out, and again the converter frozen. Car now won't restart. He said he's run water through the lines to the converter and it was all ok. The cooling system definately has pressure..

The rapidly rising and falling temp makes me think it's electrical (sensor in the back of the head, or PCM or ECU)

Any advice? Or next steps to take?

Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Re: Straight gas AU1 - overheating / converter freezing.

Ok, just had a bit of a look myself (Never touched a gas car in my life), I'm thinking it may be 2 seperate issues (overheating, and the cutting out).. The gas pipe freezes solid as soon as he tries to kick the car over. Entire intake (manifold, even the rubber elbow) all freeze up within 3 seconds of trying to kick it over..
Old 31-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Cam
Stroking it...

Ok, some more info.. (keep in mind I'm not the one working on this car, until this morning...)

It appears there may be a head gasket issue as well.. I've managed to get the car to start after 5mins of trying.. So I decided to crank the heater and remove the radiator cap to make sure there are no air blockages in the system.. Within 5 mins it was spitting out VERY bubbly milky coolant. I called the owner of the car and he informed me he's put some stop leak in the coolant to help seal the head gasket.. My Thought would be that perhaps the air from the leaky HG would be causing air blocks in the system causing no coolant to make it to the converter, in tern freezing up..

Sound viable?

If a mod could move this to the LPG forum that'd be great..
Old 31-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Cam
Stroking it...

Despite Assuring me several times he had bled the air in the system properly after each thing he changed, he hadn't.

Idjut, complete idjut...