Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 22-04-2005, 07:09 AM   #1
KiwiKev

Default TX5 is it lifter or Cam noise im hearing ??

Hello all just found this web site - and have read through it -very good guys excellent job :o), My daughter has a 1990 TX5 2.2 - is very tidy and all running gear is running nicely except has qite a loud tapping noise coming from what seems like the second and third cyl area -the previous owner showed me the reciepts for all the lifters being replace whic was done seven mths ago -- but was still doing it after the lifters were done - i suspect cam lobes ??? are worn .... or maybe the poor old bloke may have ripped and lifters not done at all - well any thoughts would be appreiacted - keep the good work up :o),

PS.... The old bloke i bought it off said it had been making this noise for at least 2 to 3 yrs .. other than that the motor is excellent condition (225k)

Cheers Kev
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi had the same prob wit my 1989 TX5, same engine and all. is the oil old in it?

i asked the mechanic once if anythn needed adjustn coz it was making a tappn noise, and he said it might just need new oil. so he puts in new oil and its gone. the only time i hear the noise again is when im due for a service.

one of my mechanics used to put 20W/50 oil in it but then i changed mechanics to one of those Ultra Tune places (reallly good service-no bullshit) and now ive got 15W/40 Castrol GTX3 runnnin through it and its never been better and dont use as much. so yeah its worth a shot, worked for me
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
ATX5
Starter Motor

hey kiwikev, yes the 2.2 has loud lash adjusters. I used to use shell helix ultra, but I found that it was too lean and the lifters would rattle heaps due to lack of lubrication. I changed to pennzoil (older engine - SAE 60) which has a heavier viscosity providing more lubrication. I should have changed to this oil years ago. I can't hear any excess noise (apart from the right ones). Try changing your oil first, if the noise persists, have someone take a look at your lash adjusters.
Old 23-04-2005, 05:47 AM   #4
KiwiKev

Hi guys - i did wonder about the oil - i will try this and see what the out come is and let u guys know, as for lash adjusters - when i bought the car i was shown a very old reciept and that did say about them being noisy, but the owner i bought the car off has had it ten yrs, and the receipt was from the previous owner - so to me this does piont to either old oil... or these lash adjusters - just quickly lash adjusters? what are they exactly,are they do with the lifters ?.

Cheers Kev
Old 25-04-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would also warm ur car up in the mornin or whenever it would b cold. could save u a lot on damages. ur car will run better for it aswell. u can always tell when my baby hasnt been warmed up. there is **** all acceleration.
Old 26-04-2005, 07:20 AM   #6
ATX5
Starter Motor

the lash adjuster sits inside the lifter and is the point of contact with the valve. when these wear out, they don't spring as much as they should. in fact they can cease up if not lubricated properly which causes the loud clicking noises.
Old 26-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
KiwiKev

Thanks Mitchay & ATX5 this has been all very intereting information i do beleive in a warm up anyway and know the meaning of a lash adjuster is clearer to me and that is the noise that iam hearing, will be changing the oil - and taking it from there and i if still have that noise id say the lash adjusters will need to be looked at - are they a seperate renewable part to the lifter ? Oh one other question these 2.2 motors the belt needs replacing evey 100,000kms as per normal ? Other than that she runs like a dream :o)

Cheers Kev
Old 26-04-2005, 07:53 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i got a belt change bout 2months ago at 245k kms. also got a timing seal kit aswell coz oil was making the belt slip ($300 or so). much better performance now and it makes a pleasant tune. sounds like a turbo spooln lol. i aint got a turbo though.
Old 27-04-2005, 07:17 AM   #9
ATX5
Starter Motor

The lash adjusters are completely seperate from the lifter. They are cylindrical shaped about 10mm long x 8mm dia. and are very easy to replace (compared to the belt) When replacing the belt, its also a good idea to replace the tensioners as well. Hope it all goes well.
Old 29-04-2005, 10:38 PM   #10
KiwiKev

Hi - well did the first thing and changed the oil and filter - made a very slight bit of difference to the tapping noise but is still there - so it is sort of looking as if iam going to have to replace the lash adjusters - are these available from the likes of repco or is it a Genuine ford part ? yep had a look at the belt doesnt look to bad - but wont be fooled by that will be replacing after doing the lash adjusters. I was told if it does brake it does do any damage to the valves etc is this correct or not? i was told it doesnt but id be ****ed if it did :o)
Cheers Kev
Old 30-04-2005, 07:34 PM   #11
Steve_T

If you mean when the timing belt brakes then yeah, very expensive damage is a distinct possibility - quite lucky if you didn't get serious damage infact I would think.

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2005, 07:47 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What ever you do its a good idea to get things fixed before they are due to avoid problems. As mechanically goes my car is great. Still makes tapping noises but i just have to get shit adjusted when i get my next service. Its and old car so not worried too much if its like that. Only usually does it when its cold and hasnt got oil running through it. Once its warm its all good.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:12 AM   #13
ATX5
Starter Motor

yes, i picked mine up (lash adjusters) from repco for a good price (better than genuine ford parts) oh, just in case you wanted to know, i drove a new Ford GT in a wedding on Saturday, only two words can describe it - expensive and awesome.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #14
KiwiKev

:-) good to hear ya drove a new ford - bet ya just wanted to give it a bit of curry :-)
Anyways have taken the rocker cover off had a look at the rocker assembly - all is tight has i would expect to see,except one of the rockers on number 3 clyinder inlet side,(got a good 2mm-3mm movement at least) so all goes with what i thought in the begining :o) considering the poor ole bugger that owned it before may have been taken for a ride - so will replace that and see how it goes after that i reckon

Cheers Kev
Old 03-05-2005, 05:25 PM   #15
ATX5
Starter Motor

gave it a bit of curry too, left the traction control on (too scared to turn it off, not too keen on driving a car i don't know too hard) and still chirped through the shifts - awesome power! I'd love to see what it does with it turned off. The other cars were a Ford GT-P (auto) and an xr6.