Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 22-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
maxbaxter

Default AS Telstar with Cracked Head

My 87 AS Telstar GL has a suspeced cracked head.

Yes the car is old, and vertually worthless... but, it's running smoothly (even with crack) and is generaly a good car.

Im not sure weather to have the head replaced <which will probably reveal other problems>, have the motor replaced, or give up.

Will a TX5 (non turbo) head or engine fit?
I understand that the engine mounts for the GL are the same as TX5's?
If so do you know of any problems when droping the TX5 motor, into a GL body? What are the options?

I have no problems getting parts (or motors) cheap, but fitting is another matter. ...and I dont want to spend too much.

Any informed assistance would be helpful.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #2
Steve_T

This reply is a bit late but it's the first time I've ventured to these parts of the forums Anyway, if you're still monitoring...

Telstars are a great car (my old man has an AR TX5 which I have driven lots over the years). Don't take the 'give up' option ;) I'd start by pulling the head off - you say _suspected_ cracked head - maybe you'll find it's only a gasket - they are a very reliable motor and I can't imagine 'em cracking heads under any normal circumstances. If it's gasket it's a cheap and easy fix. If it is a head, get a head reco'd or maybe just from a wreckers etc. and fit it. I doubt it'd have any other serious problems for you to find - my Dad's AR still runs nice and compression test shows all cylinders still withing factory spec after 320,000+ kms and even being run overheated once or twice etc!

AFAIK there is no difference in the engine bay between TX5 and GL - just different bodies - but I'm not sure how different things were in AS compared to AR. Should be no probs though - get a Gregorys manual and make sure.

Oh - why do you suspect cracked head anyway and what tests etc. have you done to confirm?

If you have some basic tools and mechanical knowledge (or mates with such assets - then all you need is beer! ) then get a Gregorys manual and do it yourself - they are easy motors to work on. I'd be happy to help with more advice etc. but I'll wait to hear from you first.

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post