Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Futura01
horsepower

Default 4-spd Auto servicing??

hi guys,
Think my auto might need a good service, as last night on the way home from work i gave it a little boot and the thing kicked back a gear and held 2nd for way too long before chirping into 3rd????
Any idea's too what kind of service it might need and where is a good place in sydney for servicing???
and also what is a good price for a service?? :SaiyanSmi

Futura01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Standard service consists of changing the pan filter, and trans fluid (usually only the fluid in the transmission, not the converter). Should cost less than $150.

If the car is not quite changing gears properly, then it could be a solenoid or two, or dirty connectors on the outside of the box (this was certainly the issue with mine). Get under the car and unplug the connectors, spray liberally with WD40/RP7 and then reconnect and see how that goes.

If it's not the easy service/WD40 issues, then the solenoid replacement runs from $200 approx, up to $500, depending on which one is gone, and whether it is internal or external. Your best bet for finding a good auto trans place, is to ring the cab companies and find out who looks after their transmissions.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
Futura01
horsepower

Thanks JC,
I will try the cleaning of the conectors first and see how it goes!! it has only done it twice, but thats enough to keep the eye on things for me ...
Also may sound stupid but i looked for a dip stick for trans and couldnt find one ??? how the hell do you top the fluid up ???????? lol
Also when they do servicing do they adjust bands or so on ????
Old 17-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
peterban
AULTD

EF 2 onwards did not bother with a dipstick.
To top up you have to climb underneath and pump the fluid in through the inspection plug hole until it starts to dribble out.
No band adjustment on the boxes.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
Futura01
horsepower

thanks peterban,
Well i might just do the trans service myself , if they want 150 just to change filter and do oil change
Old 17-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

with the little amount of room under there, make sure you have 4 jack stands (so the car sits level and you wont end up over/under filling box. filter is held in by long clip that is hard to remove and repalce at the best of times. also make sure when you remove the filter, remove the seal from inside the tube that the filter sits in, if you dont the new filter wil not sit in there properly, and you wont be able to replace the clip! and finally, when re-fitting the pan, dont over tighten the bolts, youll end up with leaks, tighten till firm, then another 1/4 - 1/2 turn and thats enough.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

I paid around 180 for a service but that included using about 20L of fluid to do a flush of all the old trans fluid, as just dropping the pan doesn't replace all the fluid. Boy did it make did it make a difference, much smoother gear changes.

If you are interested i can tell you of a top quality workshop depending on where you are in sydney.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
EvilChief
Boost Addict

we normally fluch the entire transmission system at work including the converter, which takes between 20 to 25l. also ensure u use 95le auto fluid and not the regular dextron III, which is sold everywhere
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
Futura01
horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
I paid around 180 for a service but that included using about 20L of fluid to do a flush of all the old trans fluid, as just dropping the pan doesn't replace all the fluid. Boy did it make did it make a difference, much smoother gear changes.

If you are interested i can tell you of a top quality workshop depending on where you are in sydney.
That would be great mate , i am in the bankstown area !!! if you know of any good places???
Old 18-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
peterban
AULTD

I thought I read on the forum that Ford have stopped flushing the transmission oil as it doesn't clean the filter properly or it flushes contaminants out of the filter back into the system.
Maybe a flush and pan drop with filter change would be o.k.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

The flush was done with pan drop and filter change.

I got it done in St. Marys not nearby for you but I can highly recommend them. They are called Scott Doney Autos, modern workshop with about eight hoists, the workshop is so spotless you could eat of the floor. They take real good care of your car, i've never found any greasy fingerprints on the car afterwards & top quality repair work too. Ph: (02) 9623 3221

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #12
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Thanks to johnydep this is a very useful guide for auto trans service for most BTR or ION 4 speed auto transmissions. I had the usual driveway patch minor leak issues with mine which with the help of the article I was able to fix for $20 as it was a classic rear servo cover leak.

have a look here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...c+transmission
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Thanks to johnydep this is a very useful guide for auto trans service for most BTR or ION 4 speed auto transmissions. I had the usual driveway patch minor leak issues with mine which with the help of the article I was able to fix for $20 as it was a classic rear servo cover leak.

have a look here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...c+transmission
Jonbays, that was a ripper of a find. Thanks heaps for posting up the link. I understand heaps more about the auto now.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
Xray
Starter Motor

Default AU S1 Wagon

Hey, anyone know what the plate on the passenger side of the auto trans has behind it, its shaped like a star and has 6 star headed bolts. i have a leak from the gasket and dont wanna pull it off if there is a spring or something behind it?
Xray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 AM   #15
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

The flush is done thru the cooler lines anyway, so if a filter change was done beforehand, and the wrong cooler line (easily done) was flushed then all the crap would end up sitting on top of filter waiting to go straight into auto at first drive.

If your going to do it yourself, then you should do the flush then drop the pan and change the filter in my opinion.

As for faulty solonoids, my brother owns a workshop, all my family own fords with these trans and lots of mates, and yet i have and neither has he ever seen one have a faulty solonoid as yet, i've seen worn shift shafts, stuffed seals, broken drums and blocked valve bodies. But no stuffed solonoids.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #16
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

I'm doing a filter change and full flush today. I'll take a few pics as an adjunct to johnydeps excellent howto.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Didn't happen.

Gave neighbour a hand to do commy water pump.... one hour job.

Rig up an adapted air fitting, fibreglassed to a pos plastic water outlet which crumbled when undoing the hose clamp... 4 hours.

Having neighbour in my debt... priceless

(I'll see how I'm going after dinner, otherwise probably Wed evening.)
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post