Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #61
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Used Dual cab sub $20k budget

Well, an update..

So as true to form I set about looking for a dual cab and ended up buying a Pajero.
Got the one I'd looked at on Saturday, did a PPSR check which all came back clear, no money owing, never stolen, never written off.

2007 VRX Diesel in champagne, dark tint with family pack so full airbags, 3 row aircon DVD player, optional 18's, Came with 3 months rego, new tyres, full tank of diesel and full dealer service history for $8k.

Was a private sale so in need of a quick clean so I gave it a tub and took it on the 210km round trip from home to Blanchetown return and with cruise set it returned 9.5l/100km.

As this will be our weekend warrior I also picked up a very tidy 2006 SG Forester X in white with dark tint off a family member for $2k for a runabout.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #62
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Won’t go wrong with the Pajero. The 07-09 NS model had the DPF (in auto, manuals had no DPF) which can cause issues but go to the Pajero club of Victoria forum has all the answers.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #63
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
As this will be our weekend warrior I also picked up a very tidy 2006 SG Forester X in white with dark tint off a family member for $2k for a runabout.
Suby's are tough, you can bump into big Trucks and walk away
Old 11-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #64
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Well, an update..

So as true to form I set about looking for a dual cab and ended up buying a Pajero.
Got the one I'd looked at on Saturday, did a PPSR check which all came back clear, no money owing, never stolen, never written off.

2007 VRX Diesel in champagne, dark tint with family pack so full airbags, 3 row aircon DVD player, optional 18's, Came with 3 months rego, new tyres, full tank of diesel and full dealer service history for $8k.

Was a private sale so in need of a quick clean so I gave it a tub and took it on the 210km round trip from home to Blanchetown return and with cruise set it returned 9.5l/100km.

Your neighbours must think you are a used car dealer
Old 11-08-2020, 08:53 PM   #65
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Indeed, the “TLDR” thread summary would be:

Got bored, sold Territory, bought Pajero and a Scooby.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #66
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Your neighbours must think you are a used car dealer
If i didnt live in the northern suburbs id agree, but as i do, the turnover rate amongst my renting neighbours means even my brief vehicle ownership outlasts their tenancies so they're none the wiser.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #67
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Won’t go wrong with the Pajero. The 07-09 NS model had the DPF (in auto, manuals had no DPF) which can cause issues but go to the Pajero club of Victoria forum has all the answers.
Yep, this is an auto with DPF, previous owner said he'd only ever seen the light come on once and went out after a highway run.
Service history shows it wasnt a city dweller so id say it had plenty of opportunities to regen.

Plan is to run it on BP ULTIMATE diesel, and give it regular doses of Penrite DPF additive, combined with mainly highway weekend work under load im hoping itll stay clean, although i will pull the intake and EGR for a chemical clean.
Ive already bought a K&N panel filter, fuel filter, cabin filter,10L of Penrite C1 Enviro 5w30, Penrite 10yr yellow coolant, Penrite ATF fluid and Dot4 brake fluid to give it a fresh start, if the DPF blocks i'll delete it and the EGR and have it tuned.

Its got a couple of blemishes which i'll address, headlights need a resto kit run over them and theres 3 small chips on the lower door plastics and a small scratch on the front bar.
Some of the plastics in the luggage compartment are scratched up but the plan is to pull the 3rd row seats out to save unnecessary weight and then fit some drawers with custom filler panels along side and drop down fridge slide which will hide alot.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #68
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Sorry Bent I meant to post the pics of the tough Suby............

She wanted to do a 'U' turn, unfortunately I was in the way.
By the time I got back to the car both driver and her passenger were sitting on the guard rail telling everyone she didn't see me.

RHF guard

Hit hard enough to break a spring hanger

The Crash Magnet she didn't see.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #69
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Indeed, the “TLDR” thread summary would be:

Got bored, sold Territory, bought Pajero and a Scooby.
You forgot the first territory and the picanto... but I guess it depends how far you want to go back...
Old 11-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #70
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Sorry Bent I meant to post the pics of the tough Suby............

She wanted to do a 'U' turn, unfortunately I was in the way.
By the time I got back to the car both driver and her passenger were sitting on the guard rail telling everyone she didn't see me.

RHF guard

Hit hard enough to break a spring hanger

Yeah, but that'll buff out..
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #71
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
You forgot the first territory and the picanto... but I guess it depends how far you want to go back...
C'mon Rob, keep up, surely you'd be due a change by now, whack it on the mortgage or super draw down.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yep, this is an auto with DPF, previous owner said he'd only ever seen the light come on once and went out after a highway run.
Service history shows it wasnt a city dweller so id say it had plenty of opportunities to regen.

Plan is to run it on BP ULTIMATE diesel, and give it regular doses of Penrite DPF additive, combined with mainly highway weekend work under load im hoping itll stay clean, although i will pull the intake and EGR for a chemical clean.
Ive already bought a K&N panel filter, fuel filter, cabin filter,10L of Penrite C1 Enviro 5w30, Penrite 10yr yellow coolant, Penrite ATF fluid and Dot4 brake fluid to give it a fresh start, if the DPF blocks i'll delete it and the EGR and have it tuned.

Its got a couple of blemishes which i'll address, headlights need a resto kit run over them and theres 3 small chips on the lower door plastics and a small scratch on the front bar.
Some of the plastics in the luggage compartment are scratched up but the plan is to pull the 3rd row seats out to save unnecessary weight and then fit some drawers with custom filler panels along side and drop down fridge slide which will hide alot.
Just beat on it everywhere - no DPF issues if its red hot all the time
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #73
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post

Shoulda gone to Specsavers....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 10:48 PM   #74
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure you need the low ash oil, make sure that penrite stuff is suitable. Then many happy trouble free motoring!!
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #75
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Pretty sure you need the low ash oil, make sure that penrite stuff is suitable. Then many happy trouble free motoring!!
Thanks, yes its the preferred option on the Penrite website product selector for being low sulpher/ash for light duty diesels with DPF.
Old 23-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #76
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These Covid times are playing havoc with prices.

In February 2018 I paid $31.5k for my 2014 Ranger XLT with 129,000km and canopy/bullbar. My mate is currently looking for a 2014+ ute with a $30k budget, Ranger prices are now more than I paid back then...