Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-10-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Prob cause its from Thailand.
Really? I thought Tooheys were planning on brewing it locally at some stage? Is it still happening? Always thought it was brewed exclusively in denmark, but that was probably just me from misreading the bottles after a few too many!

I like Crown Lager but it really doesn't justify it's price, doesn't cut it as a premium beer. It is a good everyday beer and that's it really, nothing too special.

Reading this thread makes me very thirsty.
Old 30-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Really? I thought Tooheys were planning on brewing it locally at some stage? Is it still happening? Always thought it was brewed exclusively in denmark, but that was probably just me from misreading the bottles after a few too many!

Fosters are Brewing it in Australia, and have been for 18 or so months. I've not tried it since it became a local beer, so I can't comment. Was nice from the source, however.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Fosters are Brewing it in Australia, and have been for 18 or so months. I've not tried it since it became a local beer, so I can't comment. Was nice from the source, however.
Ahh thanks for the correction. I haven't had it in a while but i'm sure i've had it since Fosters have started brewing it. Didn't notice any difference at all. Which obviously is the aim, but won't change my thoughts on it.

Was anybody lucky enough to actually try their (carlsberg) very limtied beer claimed to be the most expensive in the world? It actually was claimed to be the best beer ever brewed.

Last edited by ST; 30-10-2008 at 02:06 AM.
ST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Ahh ok, was talking about it with my mate (who runs a bottle shop department) and I was saying how the Carls was from Thailand when I was living in Singapore and he said it was as well here.
Old 29-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Rob
Living the dream

Beer: Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale
Price per Carton: You wouldn't buy a carton
Drinkning situation: Under duress

Review: Horrible. Worst beer I've ever had. The only redeeming feature is the Monty Python content. Tastes like sand mixed with soy sauce.

Overall score:
1/10 - avoid.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
scottmeister
see my vest!

Mmmm beer.

In terms of aussie mainstream beers, don't diss them too much- Tooheys Pils, Coopers Sparkling and Vintage, Boags Draught, Cascade...they all have their respective tastes and likeabilities, each to their own!

Chimay is excellent, but expensive. Although I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers. I like my crisp pilsners. Try: Wicked Elf Pilsner, Murrays Blonde, Pikes Oakbank Beer, James Squire Pilsner, James Squire Pepperberry Winter Ale (excellent!).

A good porter or heavy goes down a treat here and there too: Murrays Grand Cru, Hoegaarden Grand Cru, Guinness (on tap only!), Carlsberg Elephant beer. I'm a bit of a whore for microbrews, I've got a good 60+ different bottles up on my wall at this stage...getting bigger with each weeks haul!

At the end of a hard day though, nothing like a good cold Tooheys Pils or Boags Classic Blonde for me - best low carb beer out I reckon, Pure Blonde is crap imo.

Now, someone make a fine scotch and whiskey thread! :
scottmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
ogtrip
Starter Motor

West End Draught.
Old 29-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

this thread sure is thirsty, might tell work im crook and go home to the 3 slabs of carlton draught in my kitchen fridge, maybe the bar fridge actually, it's closer to the front door,lol
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

WTF? I cant beleive how many love VB.

I find it personally repulsive. No offence if you love it, but frankly i find it hard to even call it consumable.

Coopers FTW

Who here as tried Duff Beer when it allowed back in the 90's?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Leffe Brune - a rather potent Belgian beer, very smooth and very nice. Probably my favourite beer, haven't been able to find it bottled. For you Melbournians, Belgian Beer Cafe, or European Bier Cafe have this on tap. Leffe Blonde is very nice too, but not quite as distinct as Leffe Brune.
I had that beer a few weeks back. Man was it a strong beer.

I'm all over KIRIN at the moment. Very good beer.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandrsxr6
I had that beer a few weeks back. Man was it a strong beer.

I'm all over KIRIN at the moment. Very good beer.
Belgian Beer Cafe in Melbourne sells stuff called Bush Amber.. 12% beer. Killer stuff, tastes horrible, but good for shitzengiggles after a few drinks.
Old 29-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Beer: VB
Price: Fairly cheap avaialable as draught, stubbie, tallie, can
Drinking Situation Outside, when its very hot and you've sweated at least 3 times your body weight out in the last hour

Review: VB has the slickest ad campaign ever, all sorts of people enjoying VB in all sorts of situations. However this is definetly not the case. VB can only be served in the -1.5 to 1.5 degree range anything but icy cold and it sours faster than a woman with a maxed out credit card. Its light-medium body and strong bitter taste can yield great refreshment in the right circumstances, but then most beers do anyway.

Overall Score: 3/10
Old 29-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Beer: Cantina

Price per Carton: $40 - $50

Drinkning situation: Whenever I find myself wanting something different.

Review: Quite a nice mexican style beer. Has a fruitish tang to it. Much better than Corona, very similar to Sol.

Overall score: 7/10.

At home will drink VB, Super dry, Premium Dry.

If at the pub cant go past the Very Best (VB) on tap.

My pick of beers to stay away from;
Zipfer - rather drink vinigar
Cold - Headache in a bottle.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Hoegaarden is over rated, not to mention way overpriced. The local Lobethal Brewery makes a wheet beer which tatses as good if not better than the Belgian Hoe. It's not cheap either though, but probably 30 bucks a box less than Hoe.

Corona is also very over rated, not to mention crap! And putting a lemon in it is just a means to detract from it's terrible taste. Cold, Tooheys new, XXXX, VB are all garbage too. But for me, the lowest of lows would have to be West End Draught. It is dead set FOUL! Crown Lagers are also overrated, and overpriced. They are toooo bad, but theres so much (cheaper) that I'd choose over them.

What I would happily drink but not buy unless there wasn't anything else that I like available? Becks, Heineken, Extra dry, James Squire (any kind), beez neez, bintang, Grolsch, Coopers Pale/Sparkling, Hanhn Premium, Redback (any), Boags Premium. Mostly local beers from WA, Tas and SA.

The stuff that I really enjoy in no particular order: Coopers Heritage Ale (No not vintage!), Bohemian Pilsner, little creatures pilsner, Cascade Premium, Pure Blonde (mainly because it's great value), and last but not least, probably my favourite, Amstel. At $64 odd bucks a Carton, they go down real well and are only slightly more pricey than most local premium Lagers.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Hoegaarden is over rated, not to mention way overpriced. The local Lobethal Brewery makes a wheet beer which tatses as good if not better than the Belgian Hoe. It's not cheap either though, but probably 30 bucks a box less than Hoe.

Corona is also very over rated, not to mention crap! And putting a lemon in it is just a means to detract from it's terrible taste. Cold, Tooheys new, XXXX, VB are all garbage too. But for me, the lowest of lows would have to be West End Draught. It is dead set FOUL! Crown Lagers are also overrated, and overpriced. They are toooo bad, but theres so much (cheaper) that I'd choose over them.

What I would happily drink but not buy unless there wasn't anything else that I like available? Becks, Heineken, Extra dry, James Squire (any kind), beez neez, bintang, Grolsch, Coopers Pale/Sparkling, Hanhn Premium, Redback (any), Boags Premium. Mostly local beers from WA, Tas and SA.

The stuff that I really enjoy in no particular order: Coopers Heritage Ale (No not vintage!), Bohemian Pilsner, little creatures pilsner, Cascade Premium, Pure Blonde (mainly because it's great value), and last but not least, probably my favourite, Amstel. At $64 odd bucks a Carton, they go down real well and are only slightly more pricey than most local premium Lagers.
Well said Eamon. I agree with the west end comment. They may as well call it A55 end coz it taste like it came from there.

For an everyday beer, its best to go the premium versions of the cheaper brands. Thats what I do.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #16
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Well said Eamon. I agree with the west end comment. They may as well call it A55 end coz it taste like it came from there.

For an everyday beer, its best to go the premium versions of the cheaper brands. Thats what I do.
I find Cascade/Hahn Premium are great like that - good taste and good price.
Old 29-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #17
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Gave up the beer (alcohol totally) 5 months ago.

fitter, stronger, happier than ever.

I used to love a heinekin, carlton draught, VB and the then "new" miller chill.

Now, plenty of H2O.

enjoy guys. anyone want to give up drinking, i can help. PM me.

Chris

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Corona is also very over rated, not to mention crap! And putting a lemon in it is just a means to detract from it's terrible taste.
Amen.

Beer should NOT be placed in clear bottles as sunlight is not good for it.
Lemon is to hide the skunky flavour that will come with sun exposure.

Somehow, it's become majorly metrosexual. You're cool if put lemon in your beer.

I have more respect for VB drinkers. VB is at least beer. It's not my choice of beer, but it is at least beer.

And with regards to Coopers...I used to love it, but I didn't touch it for 6 months, just drinking European ales. When I tried a Sparkling, I struggled. It just wasn't that good compared to the international offerings.

For an Australian brewery, the only "large" ones I like are Boags and Cascade.

Otherwise, it's Little Creatures, or my favourite, Grand Ridge.

Try the Grand Ridge Yarra Valley Gold. That one is not bad.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #19
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Amen.

Somehow, it's become majorly metrosexual. You're cool if put lemon in your beer.

I have more respect for VB drinkers. VB is at least beer. It's not my choice of beer, but it is at least beer.
Corona drinkers are usually just a lemon slice off being Smirnoff Double Black drinkers, who in my mind would drink vomit if it was labelled correctly.

"I can really taste the lemon"
Old 30-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #20
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Amen.

And with regards to Coopers...I used to love it, but I didn't touch it for 6 months, just drinking European ales. When I tried a Sparkling, I struggled. It just wasn't that good compared to the international offerings.

For an Australian brewery, the only "large" ones I like are Boags and Cascade.

Otherwise, it's Little Creatures, or my favourite, Grand Ridge.

Try the Grand Ridge Yarra Valley Gold. That one is not bad.
You probably don't like Amstel then because that's in a clear bottle. I can't say I've let any of my beers sit in direct sunlight, unless of course I'm drinking it outside. And I couldn't for the life of me put a Lemon in an Amstel either. But that's because they taste so good. I guess tatse like looks is a subjective thing. Some here like VB, a lot more than I expected. At least no one seems to like the garbage from every other mainland state in Tooheys New, XXXX, West End and Emu Export.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You probably don't like Amstel then because that's in a clear bottle. I can't say I've let any of my beers sit in direct sunlight, unless of course I'm drinking it outside. And I couldn't for the life of me put a Lemon in an Amstel either. But that's because they taste so good. I guess tatse like looks is a subjective thing. Some here like VB, a lot more than I expected. At least no one seems to like the garbage from every other mainland state in Tooheys New, XXXX, West End and Emu Export.
I have never tried Amstel, but you don't put lemon in Amstel.
Therefore, these is no BS surrounding the brand.

For me, beer is about the beer. The image around beer to me should not exist, as it does with Corona.

Also, Elephant beer is still around. Most Dan Murphy's should stock it.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #22
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

There is only one

TOOHEYS OLD

Drinkable anytime anywhere and with any meal.

In the absense of Tooheys Old or when I convince myself I must have variety, I drink Southwark's Stout, Kent Old Brown, Reschs Pilsener Coopers Vintage Ale, (2008 which I am drinking right now) and XXXX Bitter. Pretty much everthing else is dross, especially with CUB destroying all the classic reschs and tooths beers in order to sell more crap like Pure Blonde and VB mid.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My favorites around the world.

When in China, Tsing Tao
When in NZ, Speights
When in USA/Canada/Mexico (and most of the rest of the world), Corona
When in WA, Dogbolter.
When in SA, anything not made is SA especially not Southwark
When in Tas, Boags
When in Vic, Calton Draft (it tastes better there, I don't know why)
When in NT, what ever colour tins ya got mate, hic.
When in NSW, Crownies
When in QLD, XXXX
When in FNQ, more XXXX
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #24
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some beers of note, for me would be:

"Shanghai Beer" - I'm sure theres a proper name, however its label simply says 'beer'.

Drinks almost like an irish red, but has a pale amber colour. Quite balanced and refreshing, with bucket loads of character. - 6.5/10

"James Boags Premium Lager" - I like this for easy drinking. Not quite every day, but to have a beer just to sit down and enjoy one, this is my pick.

Its refreshing with a good mouthfeel and a nice soft after taste. 7/10

"Kronenburg 1664" - 'Classy' French Lager. Its not something I could drink all the time, as it appeal is short, after a while you get bored with it, but a nice drop none the less.

Light and easy to drink, subtle gassy after taste. 6.5/10

"Boddingtons Pub Ale" - One of my most favourite beers. Great for celebrations or special occasions, or simply just to enjoy.

Beautiful Flavour, easy to drink, lovely sweet after taste. 8.5/10

Kilkenny Irish Beer - Another favourite for special occasions and to enjoy and unwind with.

Nice mild red, lovely balanced flavours, great relaxing drink. 8/10

"Guinness Stout Draught" - If I'm not drinking something lighter like Boags, I'm probably drinking this. An all time favourite of mine, its what got me interested in beers.

A great no-nonsense drinking stout, not too heavy, but robust enough to let you know what you're drinking. 9/10

"Guinness Double Stout" - Probably best suited to drinking slowly while rugged up around a campfire. Whilst it may not be as strong as some others, it very easily and quickly creeps up on you if you're not careful.

Strong full bodied flavours with a 'whole' mouthfeel. Lingering bitters and malt after taste. 8.5/10

All in all, I'm not incredibly fussy, I can drink most beers and get some sort of enjoyment out of them, but I'm not a dedicated beer drinker. I'm a fan of a nice vino, mostly reds. I like fortified wines, Port, Tawny, as well as sherries and meads. I get into cider a fair bit as well, a great alternative when I dont feel like a beer, but just want to pull a drink out of the fridge.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #25
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Hahn Super Dry FTW. will drink it from sun down to sun up.
Old 29-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #26
mondeoxr5
Starter Motor

Good little brewery in Broome called Matsos which does some really nice beers.

The Monsoonal Blonde is particularly good
mondeoxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #27
SNGT
BOSS 290

asahi
budweiser
carlton or the Very Best (VB)
SNGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #28
DVSFPV
Diesel Monkey

im a hahn super dry man myself, at anytime of the day its brilliant!!!!

Its got 290KWS of the BLUE OVALS FINEST!!:

Custom Cold Air Intake :

2'5 Cat Back Zorst... Straight Thru Muffler :

100 cpi hi-flow cats

hornet shaker

220KWS at the rears : no tune.... YET!!!
DVSFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #29
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Loving all the comments about corona, so so true.

I'm a pretty main stream person with my beer selections. Stella artois, Becks and Heineken are all good as long as you get the imported bottles (normally in tatty old cartons that have been recycled a million times). Boags Premium Lager is a good one, as is James Squire Golden ale (But, a tad hard to drink heaps). If I'm feeling rich, I'll get some 'old speckled Hen' - An english beer. Something a bit different to what most would be use to but goes down well only in moderation. These are my regulars, have tried 100's of beers, but really can't be bothered reminiscing on them cos i'll get thirsty.

In my opinion - Tooheys Extra Dry is australia's most generic beer. It seems to go down well at any occasion, and I'm yet to meet a person who really despises the stuff.

I'm not a big fan of the aussie 'favourites' - VB, west end etc. Nothing bothers me more than being offered a beer at someones place and having them produce that damned horrid sight of a red or green tinny.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #30
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

the worst beer on th planet is emu export, followed very closely by emu bitter. nothing on earth tastes like this muck.
2012 Ford Focus ST
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post