Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Default After Pics on Catalina Park Raceway

Hi all, I walked around the old Catalina Park Raceway at Katoomba on the weekend, where you can just see some of the old signage on the timber barriers. The place is now in ruin with many parts of the track overgrown with weeds or torn up by the bulldozers fixing old drainage pipes. Really quiet sad that a part of our heritage disappearing

Does any one have any old pics or know of any DVD/Videos of racing there from the 50/60/70's, as I would love to compare today’s images with those of the past.

Thanks

GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

It's an interesting place, I walked around it last year. Would have been a hairy place to race at!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
GTP-814
love the quad cams

your not wrong. I find it hard to imagine Mustangs keeping their tails straight as its quite narrow ith no run off areas.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

found this video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCmfBjjZFVE
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I'm sure there'd be footage still in existence today. Maybe you could try contacting the Blue Mountains City Council or maybe the Tourist Office in Katoomba. They might be able to put you in touch. I don't know if it is still there but there's a place in Parramatta that is in the area of books/videos etc.

What ashame it's not in full use today. I know it's highly impracticle but just imagine the atmosphere and the potential to the local economy but I believe it's a very important sight amongst the indigenous community too.

Does anybody remember the old Catalina Flying Boat that "mysteriously" disappeared many, many years ago?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
darkside06
endangered kiwi

i was in there with the truck couple off months ago on the start line cleaning out the sewer main half the track as fallen away needs alot of work done in there
darkside06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
bingoTE50
Steve

Maybe try ABC . They were showing old racing footage on there late night legends shows on the weekends some time ago. I don't know if it had this track ,but Norm Beechy , the Geoghans ,Bob Janes Mustang etc were in it..
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
Aeron
DJR Fan

I think this website ( http://motorsportarchive.tripod.com/ ) should help you out. There are some fantastic photos from the past in there!!
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

http://images.google.com.au/images?h...=catalina+park

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #10
podderick
Starter Motor

i remember watching the rallycross events on tv when i was a kid,now that was racing at its hairiest :
podderick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Thanks all, I'll start following up on your leads

cheers
Old 06-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bob65 (aka my dad) raced on the track. I have their photos at home & will try to find them & get them scanned for you.

I recall he raced his buckingham nota and his cooper s mini at that track, possibly others too.

I know I have at least one piccy of the old wooden walls ........ I havent looked at the pics for a long time so will try to get some out over the weekend

EDIT: If you would like I might be able to get Dad to log on (he is away but has access to the net) and give you a run down of the track as he remembers it.

Last edited by MotherNatureVer2; 06-06-2008 at 04:06 PM.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id love to race on an old track like that in a mini S!! It would be so much fun, i cant wait til im a bit older(and richer) and take part in the targa tasmania. and then eventually Gumball :P
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Could be wrong but I believe one the genuine Phase IV's was raced there in the rallycross events.
I did get there once or twice to spectate as a young guy but can't remember what was racing and the track was closed soon after that
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post