Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Theft of items whilst servicing

Was speaking to a friend of the family today who said he is pretty sure a Ford dealer who regularly services his car is actually taking things from the car and not replacing them, or even swapping them for substandard parts.
Apparently the latest thing to happen is that his MOMO shifter on his AUIII was taken off and replaced with one of a different colour with damage to it, when he questioned this he was told that it had always been like that. Obviously not true when the shifter is red and the Steering wheel is Blue. The Service Advisor was confronted about it and claimed that he did not look in the car at all while it was being worked on so he couldnt take the owner's word over that of his mechanics.

I know he's spoken to the DP about it and also informed the police of the situation, so hopefully that will be the end of it, but Im wondering if anybody has come across this sort of thing before? I know I am always VERY picky about who I let service or work on my car, I always reset the odo and note the fuel gauge position just in case they decide to hoon around on my fuel.

Btw, I should say the Dealer in question is NOT the one I used to work at - I dont want to give any decent dealer a bad name so I wont say who the dealer is.

Last edited by b2tf; 24-05-2005 at 01:59 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
AdzT3-146
own the road

I know matt's (EF_Machine) AUIII Tickford snorkel was taken out of his car and replaced with a standard one when he went to a dealer, he eventually got it back after he went off his head at them.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Not during servicing, but when I got my speakers installed into my car, I'm pretty sure one of the fat f*cks who installed it pinched one of my CD's.
Old 24-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
I always reset the odo and note the fuel gauge position just in case they decide to hoon around on my fuel.
What if they reset the odo after driving it? :

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had the Ford service dept do all sorts of weird things. I won't use them. They do more damage than good. Well what do you expect with more apprenticies than actual mechanics.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Twisted
Contributing Member

I dont know how it could be possible but im pretty sure my old AU came back with a higher ride height after a service. Still had all the pedders gear on it though. I just swear it was higher!

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 02:42 PM   #7
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted
I dont know how it could be possible but im pretty sure my old AU came back with a higher ride height after a service. Still had all the pedders gear on it though. I just swear it was higher!
It's possible. If they had it on a 2 post hoist which allows the wheels/suspension to dangle. It takes awhile for the suspension to settle again to normal height.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my previous car EL futura - heritage green serviced at a Ford dealer, picked up the car and noticed it had been washed. Looked closer and they had made a mess of the bonnet and roof sctatches and swirls.

I asked them what they washed the cars with: "Bucket & Broom" was the response. Needless to say i'll never go back there. Your right about them not being mechanics Brenx...
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Richards
I had my previous car EL futura - heritage green serviced at a Ford dealer, picked up the car and noticed it had been washed. Looked closer and they had made a mess of the bonnet and roof sctatches and swirls.

I asked them what they washed the cars with: "Bucket & Broom" was the response. Needless to say i'll never go back there. Your right about them not being mechanics Brenx...

Have they read the bloody car manual on how to wash a car?! doesnt look like it.....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 05:28 PM   #10
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

It's pretty dodgy if they are taking parts off the car, but anytime my car is in a workshop or where people I don't know have access to it everything I can remove, I do.
Glove box and console are emptied, as well as everything in the boot (I have my own set of tools in there as well as spare bulbs and things).

And with the BA I recode the system the second I get it back home.
Paranoid maybe, but better safe than sorry.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford

Last edited by Feathers; 24-05-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 06:42 PM   #11
rob_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
What if they reset the odo after driving it? :
Best thing is to look at the odomoter, and not bother with the trip meter. Odometer cant be reset like that.

Best thing to do is to take it to an independant mechanic. Better if its a small workshop (not that im biased or anything). But get the same bloke to work on it everytime and they're easier to trust i reckon.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #12
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Richards
Have had the same experience at the local Ford Dealer. Needless to say, it never went back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 07:41 PM   #13
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I've had nothing but positive experiences after 8 years of attending the same dealership (Strapp Ford in Burwood) - sure the odd thing has gone wrong but they have always been happy to remedy any issues identified to my complete satisfaction and that's what counts.

I'll agree that finding a good crew is a tough call but it's worth the effort to seek one out.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 07:46 PM   #14
TIRED6
A V8 salute to my DEATH

I did some work experience at a Holden Dealership. They had much a same idea, they take your car out the road - way over the speed limit 140+ and they have a habit of smokin some rubber when they are in the workshop. I was also questioned about a theft that happened while i was there - someone stole a set of new Storm2 mags. I also saw them take a few CD's and other small things outer the car. But enough said.
Old 24-05-2005, 07:53 PM   #15
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Im pretty happy with my local dealer and the service manager at Kiera. I did have another Ford serviced in Sydney's west and lost a 'Snap On' seat cover and a baseball cap, after I spewed at them it was eventually replaced, couldn't believe it...
Old 24-05-2005, 07:56 PM   #16
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

I had a $350 pair of Oakleys stolen from my XR8 whilst it was getting serviced at Klosters in Newcastle (Hamilton). Reported it and not a thing was done. That's why I have done my best to direct my and others business elsewhere.
Old 24-05-2005, 07:57 PM   #17
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
I'll agree that finding a good crew is a tough call but it's worth the effort to seek one out.
You have summed it up there Russ, building a realtionship you are comfortable with and you trust to look after your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #18
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Well, after a few bad experiances with dodgy workmanship I have sworn off dealers for life...with 1 exception. New Oak Ford has been the only dealer to touch my AU for some warrenty work and they were exceptional, I would have no issue with going back there.

Apart from that, the only people to work on my car now is Jim and Brenden whom I trust 100% without question. I would feel completely comfortable leaving $200 in $10 notes scattered around my car and know, without a doubt, it would all be there when I returned. Probably in a neat bundle...with a note on it telling me what mods it could be best spent on :

Trust is a very important thing with our cars, I have to say I am very comfortable with both JMM and New Oak.
As for others... I dont really trust too many and have heard enough evidence to be VERY wary on quite a few dealers.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 10:40 PM   #19
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Damn,
I'm glad my Dad has his own workshop where I can service my own cars myself...
Heard heaps of bad things about dealers, not too many good things.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 10:50 PM   #20
XRQTOR
Banned

Took my car in for a service and left a decent amount of cash in the glovebox, all in $1oo notes and clearly visable when opened. Didn't realize i left it there til i went to put the lock nut back and saw it there, realizing that who ever took the the nut out would have seen it as thats where i always keep my lock nut.

Normally leave small amount of money in the car mostly gold coins, if one of my phones is flat it stays in there. I keep a sydchrome tool kit in the car all the time and it has never been taken or bits knocked off which i was actually worried about. Its a credit to the dealer my car goes to and its good to know you dont have to worry about petty theft.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 10:54 PM   #21
XKALBR
Order of the Temple

I've had my bum pinched ........... dose that count :hihi:
XKALBR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 11:07 PM   #22
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKALBR
I've had my bum pinched ........... dose that count :hihi:
Erm arn't you a male. That really really worries me.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 11:14 PM   #23
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

A lot of BA Turbo owners are reporting stolen KWs after they have had a dealer service! :Up_to_som
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 09:02 AM   #24
Twisted
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
A lot of BA Turbo owners are reporting stolen KWs after they have had a dealer service! :Up_to_som
Lol thats funny but sad and true.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 10:02 AM   #25
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Makes me glad that a mate from school is a qual. mechanic... I couldnt bring myself to leave the car with a stranger. I just couldnt do it.
Old 25-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #26
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Makes me glad that a mate from school is a qual. mechanic... I couldnt bring myself to leave the car with a stranger. I just couldnt do it.
I wish I had a mate who was a qualified mechanic who I could trust - sorry to all the mechanics out there, but after our experiences, it's hard to trust anyone with your pride and joy.

I've never had anything stolen from my car when I've had it serviced, but I have had mechanics try and rip me off, which to me is just as bad.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #27
LTDHO
The one and only

This is why I laugh when people tell me their car is worth more from being serviced at Ford.

My best mate did his apprentiship at a Ford dealership, so I got to see alot.
The rear car park was gravel, figure 8' were done there just before they were cleaned. They were cleaned with brooms too!
I do not recomend anyone goes to dealer.

Mind you it is not just Ford, I used have the same access to a Holden and Toyota service dept and they were the same.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #28
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

I had my Matrix DVD stolen out of my Xbox when it went it for servicing....

But on the topic of cars I've never had anything actually nicked....but plenty of dealing with dodgy mechanics. There is one in particular that my mother would swear by (and she used to be paying so i never argued). Anyway I caught him trying to rip me off once and have never been back since. I'd love a mechanic for a mate too, that would be sweet.
Old 25-05-2005, 05:50 PM   #29
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I know someone from school (wouldn't call him a mate, as such), who was an apprentice mechanic. I would not let him within 30 feet of my car, he is that incompetant.

As for the was part, he said he quit because he lost interest, he was actually fired. The place he worked at had a huge name until he started there. Now, no-one I know goes. Could just be coincidence, but I don't think so.
Old 25-05-2005, 06:05 PM   #30
XKALBR
Order of the Temple

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Erm arn't you a male. That really really worries me.
Mate, if your chest looked like your avstar i'd pinch your *** :party3:
XKALBR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post